Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Quick question ?  (Read 672 times)

Offline markglynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Quick question ?
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »
Hey everyone i'm 4 weeks tomorrow post ACLr and have been on crutches since that date with a brace ( breg ), I was wondering how long everyone ( on average ) has had to wear a brace post op. I've been told that mine has to be on for at least 12 weeks, fine but it's gunna be a pain when i return to work in about 5/6 weeks i hope. I'm wondering has anyone changed their style of brace after any lengh of time to maybe a more comfortable, smaller style cause this ones alittle on the large side under my jeans etc.

:)
Football injury april 29th 2005, twisted my left knee. Cartalidge op in the nov and then ACL operation on the 6th july 2006.

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
Re: Quick question ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »
I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op from an ACLR too. My OS is a serious bracer - I've got the Donjoy "summer" post-op brace (lower calf to mid-thigh - 4 straps - hinged that could be (and was) locked in full extension and is now fully open. After 2 weeks I was allowed to move to a "functional" brace - so a smaller lighter one. The only reason I'm not in it yet is that the one ordered pre-op doesn't fit - crossing my fingers the new one will be in today - but I expect that ultimately I'll need a custom fit - so it will probably take another week or so until I'm fully out of my fairly bulky post-op brace.

I'm in the functional brace (another Donjoy for ACL injuries) whenever I am not lying down for 12 weeks - and then whenever I am 'active' for a year. After that it's up to me.

The functional braces are still going to require a looser pant than no brace - but they are lower profile and lighter (18 ounces) than my post-op one. I'll be glad when I can wear it just to the gym etc instead of all the time!

Bracing is one of the hardest parts of this process to me - it just doesn't let you "forget" about the reconstruction for a second! But my OS is a firm believer in protecting the graft until it's past it's most vulnerable time (ie 12 weeks) - and since I only want to do this once I'm complying!

I'm not super familiar with your Bregg - but if it is anything like my current brace you can definitely find something smaller and lighter!!
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline tigergirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Quick question ?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:45:54 PM »
I know 12 weeks sounds like a long time, but it will go by quickly. Your OS would be the one to talk to about going to a smaller brace. My son plays football and last year broke his knee cap on July 7th and got the OK to play the end of Oct. and at the time of his injury we were told it could take as long as 6 months before he could play again. The 12 weeks the OS told you may be because you play sports and as you know your injury was a bad one for a athlete. I wish you all the best, but please for your own sake follow the doc's orders.
Keep us posted on how you are doing
Tigergirl
14 yr old Son fracture patella 7/7/5 crashing his bike, repaired with 2 screws, screw removal 8/3/6

support