Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Still confused...  (Read 705 times)

Offline ecmgardner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Still confused...
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:53:13 AM »
Hello,  I'm new to this forum.

I had an arthroscopy on my left knee on Monday and was discharged from hospital yesterday.  The arthroscopy was to determine whether I had a meniscal tear as my knee had locked and would not straighten.  It turns out that I have not dislodged any cartilage (thank goodness) but ruptured a ligament.  I am having difficulty locating which ligament it was as it wasn't the lateral or cruciates.  He explained it as the two menisci on top of the tibia and fibia are attached to each other by a ligament, and this is the one I have torn (from diagrams etc I thought this was the cruciate although this goes vertically and he was indicating horizontally at the front under the patella...?)

I was wondering whether there was anyone who could figure out what it was he was talking about? Did I get the wrong end of the stick, and was he talking about cruciates?

Finally, I am still having problems straightening my leg, and it is too painful to consider putting weight on it.  I presume this is because of swelling etc from the arthroscopy which was only on Monday...?

All advice gratefully received!!

Offline ecmgardner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Still confused...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »
Hi there,

I have discovered a bit more about what I've done to my knee and hope it could be of use to someone else out there.  (Many, many thanks to Brownie for the info and the links)  I have ruptured the transverse ligament which attaches the two menisci together on the tibia.  There's an illustration from Gray's anatomy here:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/illustrations/figure?id=349

Apparently it's not a very common inury - which explains why a 20min arthroscopy took 2hrs, and why the OS had a huge grin on his face when he spoke to me as I was coming out of the anaesthetic.  (I have no recollection of what he said but I remember the smile)

I only had the arthroscopy on Monday, so it's still early days and it looks like I've got quite a bit of reading to do.

I'd love to hear from anyone with the same injury...?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Still confused...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 10:55:26 AM »
Hey !!

Just want to wish you good luck with rehab...interesting information you give us...have never
thought of that ligament.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.