Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Few questions regarding Arthroscopic Surgery and chondromalacia.  (Read 831 times)

Offline The-Rock

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Knees are not my favorite bodypart.
I have a few questions regarding Arthroscopic Surgery and chondromalacia.
In my first partial medial meniscectomy, which was on the 3rd. February 2006, my orthopedic surgeon initially inspected the whole knee joint to see if there were any other problems (e.g. arthritic areas, ligament tears).
The medial meniscus was torn but there was no damaged to the joint surfaces or softening of the articular cartilage.
He did what I think is the usually two incision.

In my second partial medial meniscectomy, which was on the 7 july 2006, my orthopedic surgeon found a small tear and a fracture in the joint surface.
He also found softening of the articular cartilage known as chondromalacia.
This time he did 3 incisions. One on each side of the patella and one beneath the patella.

First question is,
is it possible that chondromalacia could have build up between those to surgery?
Second question,
Why did the surgeon do the third incision, beneath the patella?

Maybe I am asking too much of you. But if anyone has the knowledge to these question it would much appreciated if he or she could answer them.

Thanks in advance,
The-Rock.
2006 two times partial meniscectomy, left knee.
2006 Subacromial Decompression surgery in left shoulder.
2006 Diagnosed with spondylitis ankylopoetica.

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Few questions regarding Arthroscopic Surgery and chondromalacia.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 01:57:54 AM »
 I had an arthroscopic surgery for knee pain and I have three incisions as well. Two are to the inside of the knee and the third is on the outside edge. I had to get the surgical record from the hospital and in reading them it stated that he had to make the third one to get a good angle to do the microfractue on the end of my femur. It may be he had to do the same thing to get a good angle to do the procedure.
  I'm not sure on the speed of the progression. I have heard it can move quick in some instances and never in others. Maybe you could get the surgical records and see what they say. Good lucl!
tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.

Offline smasha

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:15:18 PM »
Not sure why you are having to do two arthroscopies within 6 months to do the same inspection exercise?
Can you tell me why this is?
Mark

Offline The-Rock

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Knees are not my favorite bodypart.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »

Mark,
after my first arthroscopies surgery all was going well the first 10 weeks.
In the beginning of the eleventh week I felt some swelling and pain in my knee.
My physio and I desided to go on doing my exercises and after the 24 visit to her I told her that this was not working for me.
The pain after the exersices was intolerable so she talked to my orthopedic surgeon.
He desided that I had to have an MRI picture taken and the outcome was that they suspected meniscal tear.
You know the rest.

The-Rock
2006 two times partial meniscectomy, left knee.
2006 Subacromial Decompression surgery in left shoulder.
2006 Diagnosed with spondylitis ankylopoetica.

support