Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn Cartillage and Kneecap problem  (Read 709 times)

Offline Zero

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn Cartillage and Kneecap problem
« on: August 01, 2006, 02:03:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm farly new to knee injuries having only had one injury (A sprained ligament 12 years ago) prior to my current problems, and I'd really appreciate any opinions you could give me as to treatment and what I can do going forward.
I'm 27 and have very irregular physical activity. Which usually consists of two one week sessions in the gym and a couple of three day road running sessions during the year! However I did also try and walk 30 mins daily instead of getting a bus to the train station.
I think my problems started early this year. I am and was, six months ago, approximately 14st which is about 2 1/2 stone overweight my ideal weight being 11.6st. However despite this I decided to walk about an hour a day and run twice a week. This didn't seem too bad and after a few weeks lost about a stone and was a much healthier 13. It was then that I took up playing 5-a-side football, around the middle of May.
About 2 weeks into playing (Matches are weekly, and generally last for about 30-40 minutes) I noticed I was having intermittant pain around my kneecap and at the side of my knee, but not thinking it was serious, carried on playing. Sometimes the pain would get too bad and I'd have to miss a week, but it was only when I started feeling pain when walking (Around the start of June) I decided I should do something about it. Unfortunately that week I went down in a challenge and ended up with a fractured elbow, Radial bone. But I looked for a silver lining and decided a five week rest would be good for my knee!  Sadly though upon returning to playing the knee pain was still as strong as ever, and two visits to my local hospital were very unproductive as they couldn't find anything wrong with it and just prescribed rest (how can I rest my knee when I have to walk every day!).
A couple of weeks ago I saw a chartered physiotherapist and he diagnosed two problems. A torn cartillage and a kneecap which moves slightly to the side, apparantly my inner quad muscle is weaker than my outer one so its pulling it sideways.
I'm not sure what to do next though. The physio couldn't tell me how long I'd have to see him for and at 40 a session I need to know what I'm doing will help.. I mean it was mucheasier with my fractured elbow. I knew it would take five weeks to heal and I rested it, building upto slight exercise and it s now almost back to normal..
I'm still playing football because it doesn't seem to get worse, in fact when I rested it for 4 weeks it seemed to get worse, its now stayed the same in terms of pain. Also before a match a combination of Ibruprofen and Deep Freeze seems to numb the pain considerable for upto a day after.
Can any one suggest anything, or refer to past expereinces. I'm open to anything and I woudl definitely give up football if I could see my knee getting better, at the moment it seems like its something I'm going to have to live with, and I'm fearing the worst that I'm going to have to give up playing and also running. Its getting me down because I'm starting to regret all those years I wasted sitting down watching the TV!