Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Broken Kneecap  (Read 1099 times)

Offline graceful

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Broken Kneecap
« on: August 01, 2006, 02:38:30 AM »
Last Tuesday I broke my kneecap - break not shattered.
I am in a knee immobilizer and given crutches.
I return in 2 days for another xray to see if all is healing well.
I hate the crutches and am getting around the house without them.
Am I doing damage to the broken kneecap?  The immobilizer is always on.
Thanks - Graceful  :)

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
Re: Broken Kneecap
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 03:33:16 AM »
Yes, you are doing damage to your broken knee.  Its only been one week and you need to stay off of your knee as much as possible and use your crutches.  Your bone is trying to heal and does not need the stress from body weight.  Think of your knee as trying to glue itself together.  How can it mend if you keep breaking the adhesive?

A broken patella is a very serious injury and if you don't use your crutches you could end up doing some permanent damage.  Your injury is nothing to play around with and should be taken very seriously.  Listen to your doctor and when they tell to stay off of it please take their advice.

You must be patient because it takes many months for a patella to heal properly.  Please use your crutches and don't put unneccessary weight on your knee.

Offline Pansy

• Forum Faithful
  • My babies are my reason...
    • My MySpace
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 05:09:05 AM »
Hi there...

I just wanted to add my 2 cents  ;)

I fell on my knee on concrete and it hurt like HECK for about a week...But I never had it checked...Just figured I bruised it...Went on with life as usual...About a year later I had arthroscopic LR surgery for knee dislocations and subluxing...And guess what my OS found? A crack in my kneecap...He asked how I could have injured it and I thought and I thought and I thought and it finally hit me when I did it...It was a year before he found it...He repaired it and it has healed...But I went a year with a broken kneecap because I neglected to get the proper care to fix it...I had a lot of damage in there when they did the LR...Who knows if that is what caused it or not but it may have...So my advice? Listen to the Dr and let it heal correctly so you do not do more damage to it!!

Good Luck!
       Pansy
26 y/o
7/2004-L Knee LR,Plica Removed,Scar Tissue Removed,Crack in Kneecap,Shallow Femoral Groove,Deep Fissuring and Fraying of Kneecap
7/2006-Fulkerson-Maquet TTT,Partial medial and lateral meniscectomy,Tibial osteotomy proximal bone graft,Chondroplasty,Debridement
2/2007- Hardware Removal

Offline graceful

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:10:58 PM »
Thank You !

I feel officially nicely 'chewed out' online  :) 

Thank you soo much for setting me straight.  I hope when it's xrayed tomorrow that I've not hurt it more.  He said that if it did split more I'd need surgery.

Thank you again - you just might have saved me.

Grateful   Graceful