Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: help! daughter's surgery on Thursday!  (Read 721 times)

Offline Roberta D

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
help! daughter's surgery on Thursday!
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:45:58 AM »
My daughter is 15 and apparently has a malformation in both her knees.  She has been dislocating for 4 years.  Switched docs and this one actually took xrays, recommended surgery.  Took more x rays and instead of just moving ligaments around, is going to move bone as well.  Has anybody seen the long term consequences of this?  is it better than the impending arthritis if we leave well enough alone?    ???

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: help! daughter's surgery on Thursday!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:24:15 PM »
Hi,

I don't know what type of surgery you're daughter's been told she's having but it sounds like a TTT to me (tibial tubercle transfer), if this is the case then I can tell you about my experience, I had been dislocating since I was 12, tried all the conservative approaches which all failed, eventually had the TTT done on both knees and it was the best thing I ever did, since having the procedure I haven't dislocated or subluxed once in over 10 years for one knee and about 5 or 6 years for the other.  It is a big surgery but, in my opinion, is worth it.  I left it too long to have the surgery and had already developed quite severe OA, I find the OA to be a huge problem so if it can be prevented its a good idea.  I hope it all goes well for your daughter, let us know how she gets on.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements