Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn ACL and Riding Horses??  (Read 4714 times)

Offline ShellBell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn ACL and Riding Horses??
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:57 PM »
So I just got the results of my MRI - torn ACL - and am waiting to chitty chat with the OS about what that actually means. My question is can I still ride my horse with this condition? I've ridden once since my knee injury first occured and while it was a bit painful and I had to ice afterwards to bring down the swelling - I did it. I've read in a few different columns about doing more damage because of the injury...

Any riders out there???

Thanks!
ShellBell!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Torn ACL and Riding Horses??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:26:31 AM »
Hey...
I tore my ACL coming off my horse over a 3'x3' square oxer back in MAy. I'm still struggling and still haven't had a leg over my horse. When is you appointment to see your OS?  If you think you can handle it , then I can't see why not. But if it agravates your knee and makes it swell up, i'd hold off until you talk to you OS. My OS doesn't want me back on my horse until my knee is settled down more than it is so far.

GOodluck

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:40:13 AM »
HI there Shellbell

Im not a horse rider, but I did have a ruptured ACL until I had a reconstruction..... and now am pretty much back to normal.  I'd personally wait till you talk to your OS about riding...... I could see that you could potentially cause more damage to the rest of your knee (Cartlige, other ligaments etc) as your knee is likely (but not definately) to be a little unstable.  The degree of instability will depend on your knee, the injury or tear that you have, and the amount of muscle you have in your leg, but usually ACL tears result in some level of instability.  If you knee buckles while riding then you risk further damage.  My knee got to the point where it would buckle when I changed my body weight from one leg to another, so you have to be careful with what activities you participate in until you have your knee issue resolved.

Alla

Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:47:14 AM »
I'm a horse owner & rider & because I'm over the age where ACL's are reconstructed, I live w/o one...and I ride. I did the damage to my knee a year ago April & rode last year as well. But I'm fortunate that it's my right knee & doesn't affect getting on my horse.

I've written in past posts about dealing with the riding & the injury but I honestly don't find it incapacitating. I may do things a little differently. My dismount is anything but "correct," but it works for me.

I find the combination of saddle & stirrup (English saddle) give my knee all the support I need & only when my horse is being silly so I feel any discomfort. I'll wear a good custom Townsend brace if I'm doing groundwork just so I'm not caught off balance but riding a horse with comfortable gaits is very doable for me.

Bottom line is that if I weren't as old as I am (68) I'd have the repairs made to avoid what I'm sure will be further damage down the road. Wishing you well..Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline oldfogy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • http://images-partners.google.com/images?q=tbn:PCWJ5UgAi7gJ:http%3A//www.ci.boulder.co.us/openspace/nature/images/red-fox.jpg
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »
Shellbell-  Have not ridden since i did the injury last april, to unstable. Have had the surgery but still haveing problems do to an inisitent at PT. Was told to at first to ride in the brace. But it did not allow me to do what i do(hunter-jumper). So elected to have surgery. I would not ride til you see the OS and get his opnion. I would hate to see you do any more damage to the knee. Feel free to Pm me if you want.   Mary
annie,april,ben,jester,potter,pumpkin,blaze,reggie,lucky, chewy,smokey rocky.jill.willie and dottie the only sane thing in my life. L shoulder 2/90- rt hand carpel tunnel 12/02- L hand 1/03 carpel tunnel- L hand thumb fusion 1/04-L hand screw removal and tendon removal 6/04 Lkneedep 6/05 Lkacl recon