Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee taped  (Read 877 times)

Offline Cathy2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Bubbly redhead
Knee taped
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »
Can anyone help me I have to have my knee taped tomorrow as the physio reckons my L.R has no worked!!

Any advice welcome

Cathy2

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: Knee taped
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:03 PM »
Hey Cathy,

I notice frrom your profile that you're in the West Mids. Where about are you? I'm in Birmingham.

In my experience taping can be very successful for some but generally once the tape is removed, the kneecap returned to it's original position causing pain, discomfort etc. If your LR hasn't worked then it's doubtful that taping it will help.

What did you have your LR for? Exqctly what is your knee problem? Is it genetic or from injury? DO you get pain now? Loss of ROM?

I don't understand why your PT would reccommend taping. Maybe it's purely with the intention of helping to train your kneecap into the correct position during your exercises.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help to you.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline kneefizzio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I am willing to help answer peoples questions
    • Knee Injury
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:52:41 PM »
Hi it sounds that if you need to tape your knee your patella is unstable . Control by medial quads exercise and VMO exercises will stabilise this. It is always a problem after a lateral release. Was your kpatella dislocating or subluxing?
I am happy to answer any questions and advise exercises as I too am a Physio based in London UK

regards
Graham
Physio Graham

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 07:10:55 AM »
Hi Cathy,
I had a LR 14 months ago and mine didn't work either. The only way my leg feels stable and strong is to tape it ( or wear a knee brace ). Why mine gets taped is so I can have a stronger knee to do more at the gym to build up the quads.  So you may be amazed at how different your knee feels once taped.  I love it when its taped, I nearly feel normal. I have discovered a tape from the chemist ( more expensive though) that sticks to itself, ( so that you don't have to pull your skin when ripping off the tape, thats the part I hated).   Good luck,  hope it does the trick for you.
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:50:49 PM »
Hi Cathy,

I used to have both my patellas taped and it worked wonders for me, I only taped them whilst doing my PT, but because it made the knees feel stronger and more stable it enabled me to work that much harder on my exercises, after each PT session I removed the tape, the pt said not to keep it on all the time but as an aid to doing your exercises you may find it helps enormously, my pt showed me how to do it myself at home too.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements