Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Could my Chondromalacia Patella be hereditary?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Kickboxerchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Could my Chondromalacia Patella be hereditary?
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:21:24 AM »
Dear Knee Geek experts ;)

As some of you might have read over the past couple of weeks, I have recently been diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella.

The thing is, tonight when I was speaking with my Mum about this, she tells me that her knees are the same.  I'm 34, my Mum is 67 so there's quite an age difference, but she said she's had hers for years.

I felt her knees and they do exactly the same as mine, and her left knee is the worst of the two, the same as mine!!  my Dad too has a crunchy knee!! but he is 75 so maybe his is more down to older age?

Does anyone here think that my Chondromalacia could be hereditary? has anyone heard of such a thing? could it just be that this runs in the family?

I'd be very interested to hear your views :)

Thanking you all in advance.

Shirley

Diagnosed with Chondromalacia July 2006, really bad left knee . . .not quite so bad right knee!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Could my Chondromalacia Patella be hereditary?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:44:07 AM »
Shirley,

Hi there.....

Here is a little article.....  Patients with chondromalacia patella frequently have abnormal patellar "tracking" toward the lateral (outer) side of the femur. This slightly-off-kilter pathway allows the undersurface of the patella to grate along the femur causing chronic inflammation and pain. Certain individuals are predisposed to develop chondromalacia patella: females, knock-kneed or flat-footed runners, or those with an unusually shaped patella undersurface.

Physio can really help, but you need to find out the 'root cause' of your condition.  Good luck.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Kickboxerchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Could my Chondromalacia Patella be hereditary?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:29:13 AM »
Hi Shade

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently undergoing a physio program for my Chondromalacia - the cause is most likely down to my Kickboxing - I tend to kick more off my right leg than my left, therefore standing on my left leg and not turning my standing foot has probably been the cause as I have instead, put too much stress on my knees and twisted them instead of my feet!

BUT, having said all of this - my Mum hasn't done anything like this in her life, but she has it  ??? so as your article pointed out "certain individuals are predisposed to develop Chondromalacia'.

I will carry on with my quad exercises and live in hope that my grating and crunching & clicking will subside, and that I can get back to my beloved kickboxing and get my black-belt which I'm so close to now!

Thanks again :)

Shirley

Diagnosed with Chondromalacia July 2006, really bad left knee . . .not quite so bad right knee!

support