Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help! I have a few questions and I am new here....  (Read 787 times)

Offline wikedorinnocent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help! I have a few questions and I am new here....
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »
I am a baton twirler and overweight. I had an MRI done after an injury at practice and the results said ACL was tore. I am not sure to what extent. I have been able to walk normally but with a lot of pain. I have pain all the time. Is it normal to be able to walk on a torn ACL? Also, I want to resume twirling without pain. Will surgery be done on an obese person? I don't see the orthopedic surgeon for a few weeks yet and wanted to get some answers on my own. Can anyone help? Also I was wearing a brace for Chondromalacia Patella at the time. I was diagnosed with that in March of this year.

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help! I have a few questions and I am new here....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:23:02 PM »
Hi -

I'm sorry to hear about your ACL! I had mine reconstructed just over 2 weeks ago. It's common that you can walk on a torn ACL - some people go years without having surgery to reconstruct - and others want to do it quickly (I had my reconstruction less than 2 months post injury) - deciding whether to have surgery is a personal one - it depends on what other injuries you have (torn meniscus etc)...and what sort of lifestyle you have. Being overweight won't stop you from having surgery - and may even be a better idea - since extra weight can cause added stress on your knee making more damage if you don't fix the the instability from the torn ACL more likely. I'm a bit overweight myself - and honestly am using this as a BIG motivator to both rehab my op knee - and to make sure the rest of me is as fit and strong as possible - to protect my graft, to protect my uninjured knee - and since I should have done it all along! Don't be afraid though that the OS won't want to help you! (if he does - you need to find a better one! mine was glad to hear I wanted to reconstruct so I could stay active and become even more so!).

Good luck!!
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

support