knee problem

what about surgery
0 (0%)
what your Idea of what wrong
0 (0%)
help with depression
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Left knee  (Read 1062 times)

Offline carlton9900

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Left knee
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
I am looking for some help on what wrong with my left knee? Here is the X-ray findings: perhaps minimal soft tissue swelling or small effusion adjacent to the upper medial aspect of the patella. Mild narrowing medial compartment. Here what the MRI said: High-grade degenertive signal anterior horn and root of the lateral meniscus. Can you help me?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:35:16 PM by carlton9900 »

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Left knee
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 05:51:29 PM »
possibly a tear in the lateral meniscus...   some degenerative disease.. no way to know for sure without a scope...
what does the OS say?
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline carlton9900

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:08:33 PM »
Have not seen one yet I am dealing with the VA so they may or may not already made me a appointment or not I have to wait tell I get a letter.

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:25:36 AM »
I am looking for some help on what wrong with my left knee? Here is the X-ray findings: perhaps minimal soft tissue swelling or small effusion adjacent to the upper medial aspect of the patella. Mild narrowing medial compartment. Here what the MRI said: High-grade degenertive signal anterior horn and root of the lateral meniscus. Can you help me?

We're not doctors here and cannot make a diagnosis. Best to talk to your Doctor and ask him these questions.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 04:09:26 AM »
While I can't tell you what's wrong with your knee, I can translate your radiology report, if you'd like. This looks like an MRI report, thought -- not Xray findings -- as Xrays can't see effusions or soft tissue such as the meniscus.... unless I'm confused as to which parts of the report you're calling MRI findings and which you're calling Xray findings.

At any rate... here's what it means:

perhaps minimal soft tissue swelling or small effusion adjacent to the upper medial aspect of the patella.

The area near the top inside of your kneecap is showing some fluid in the tissues (swelling), or some fluid in the joint in that area (effusion). This, by itself, doesn't mean much. You'd need some clinical findings to figure out why it's happening or what it is from. It could be the result of an inflammatory condition, or the result of a direct injury in that area. You'll need an exam to know.

Mild narrowing medial compartment.

The joint space between your thigh bone (femur) and shin bone) tibia is smaller on the inside of the knee. This can be indicative of osteoarthritis or degenerative changes in that area -- in other words, you might have some damage to the articular cartilage (the hard white stuff on the ends of the bones). Since the narrowing is mild, you probably don't have much damage.

High-grade degenertive signal anterior horn and root of the lateral meniscus.

This is saying that there is an anomaly in the signal in the area of the front part of your outside meniscus (cartilage cushion between the bones) and also where the meniscus attaches to the tibial plateau (top of the shin bone). This could indicate a tear, but since an outright tear would show more distinctly, this could mean a slight tear or a fraying of the meniscus in that area.

Your doctor should be able to explain what he thinks these findings mean (along with a clinical exam), and explain a treatment plan to you.

Good luck with this!

Meg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:25:22 PM by emphatic »

Offline carlton9900

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »
thanks for the help Meg and by the way my name is Carlton and nice to know someone knows a little about the problem. Thank you again for your help

support