Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus tear type and damage it causes  (Read 2114 times)

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
Meniscus tear type and damage it causes
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:42:37 AM »
MRI scan Feb 2006.  Based on this scan I have been told:  March 2006 - it's torn we can fix it if you want, April 2006 - extensive horizontal tear we cut the bad bit and smooth, July 2006 - extensive complex tear, basically shredded, and most of it will be removed.

Can anyone tell me if an extenisve horizontal tear can be the same thing as a shredded complex tear or am I being given mixed info from different doctors?  Or is this different doctors reading the scan differently and coming up with different diagnoses?

Also, I have continued to run - racing pain-free, with only occasional bad days in training.  I know the consequences of losing most of my meniscus.  Could my shredded meniscus be providing some kind of cushioning where little/no meniscus will probably cause more problems?

After hearing most of it will be removed I want to cancel the op and carry on as I am until things change.  However, similar symptoms in my other knee now (probably as it's taking the strain) have confused the issue.
R knee symptoms 2003
Feb 06: MRI extensive complex tear/shredded R medial meniscus
Aug 06: NHS offer removal of most of meniscus
Oct 06: Partial meniscectomy, plica resection and CMI in Germany
Mar 2008: R CMI failure
L knee symptoms 2006
Mar 2008: cartilage defect patella, pes anserine bursa

support