Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Quick Bone Scan questions  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Quick Bone Scan questions
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:48:14 AM »
I had a 3 -phase bone scan yesterday (Friday).  My OS ordered it after he discovered some changes with the bone, including I guess some swelling within the bone.  Does anyone have any idea what the swelling of the bones could be at all?  :-\ 

I know my OS was figuring I'd have a meniscus tear or else some OA/aritcular cartilage, and ordered the MRI to rule out the meniscus.  Would a bone scan show the OA or else articular cartilage??  The OS also has kept mentioning my knees having some joint line narrowing, as well as having extra pressure perhaps due to the TTT I had.  Is there some way that my scan will show something that will help him understand what's possibly wrong??

I had a bone scan back in march, but it was a different kind.  I had it read the same day so I didnt have the time to worry or question about the results like I'm doing now, so forgive me!! :D  Any help you can offer refferring to the bone scan would be wonderful! 

~Mandy 
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline trasan8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Quick Bone Scan questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:50:33 AM »
 I had a 3 phase bone scan done on the 14th of july.  I don't know if this will help or answer any questions for you, the tech doing the test told me that it looks for bone damage by showing where blood is going to or pooling in a area of the bone to repair it.  He said the area damaged will show up brighter on the films than an undamaged area, showing the OS there is bone damage and that the blood is trying to repair or heal the area.  Mine showed 2 areas on the femur and 1 on the underside of my knee cap that have bone damage.  I have to go back to the OS on August 1st to see what he wil do about it.
9/06 chodronplasty, debridement, plica release Lft knee

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: Quick Bone Scan questions
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 07:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply! :D  I do understand that the scan shows the bones uptaking the contrast and such from my last bone scan.  Just wondering if these scans are helpful in diagnosing articular cartilage damage I guess. 

Best of luck at your OS appt on the 1st!  Let me know how it goes!

~Mandy

21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)