Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee shifting or unstable after surgery.  (Read 1235 times)

Offline j2murra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee shifting or unstable after surgery.
« on: July 29, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »
Hi.  I have had my second ACL surgery a little over two weeks ago.  My knee is feeling okay but I still have a bit of swelling going on.  Is it common for your knee to be unstable or shift after surgery do to swelling.  I sure hope so.  The shifting didn't hurt or anything it just gave me a horrible feeling like before I got it "fixed".  My second graft was with my hamstring. 

Thanks in advance for your response.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
Re: Knee shifting or unstable after surgery.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 04:58:07 AM »
Two weeks is mighty early to judge the results of the surgery, especially if you have a lot of swelling. Can you continue to let it rest for a while? Follow your doctor's protocol and you should do quite well.

Have you started PT yet?

It's really common to worry and fret about every feeling or twinge post-op. When that happens, just try to think positively. Only worry if you see a trend or a symptom of a major problem, such as infection.

Good luck with your rehab.

Meg

Offline j2murra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
Yes I have started PT.  Everything seems to be going well at this point.  I appreciate your reply.  I thought I was probably jumping the gun and worring to much.  I just needed someone else to tell me that.  Thanks John

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »
Your muscles are either weak or very relaxed due to the trauma of surgery. This gives the feeling of weakness. Once you start PT and are at about 6 weeks plus, you'll feel it get more stable. We can't expect that our ACL does ALL the work. It only backs up what the muscles around the knee are supposed to do. Good luck. You sound perfectly normal to me.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support