Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Podiatrist ?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Podiatrist ?
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:52:14 PM »
Hi all,
just a query,  has anybody had success with their knee problems by going to a podiatrist and getting inserts for their shoes.
I have been battling with 'maltracking patella' for two years now, had two surgeries and seen 5 different OS,  no success, they all say just have to build up my quads and then I will improve. Only way it feels strong is to tape above and below the kneecap, or wear a brace.
Saw a podiatrist last week and am hopeful this may do the trick.  He was saying that because of rolling inward of my gait (as he says lots of people do)  it is forceing my kneecap to maltrack and also all the work I am doing to try and strengthen my quads is not working because it is all out of wack, ( his words were a lot more professional  :P )  he can't believe not one of the OS would have recommended I get these inserts to correct my walk, as he believes this will be my answer to getting everything working properly. I am still waiting another week before they are made up, so am anxious to try them. My Daughter bought some at a chemist and swears by them, says her knee pain was gone in a week. So if anyone has any stories for me about their experince in this I would be very interested to hear them.  :D
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Podiatrist ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:10:05 AM »
Boydy,

Good to see you again. 

Many people have had very good results with orthotics.  Hope they do the trick for your situation.  It is very strange they weren't recommended before.

Good luck and let us know how you do with them.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: Podiatrist ?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 01:22:49 AM »
I got some custom orthotics when my physical therapist recommended them for me. It's a little uncomfortable to get used to at first, but it did help a lot for quite some time. I don't know if I neccessarily needed custom ones, but my dad sells medical supplies, and a large part of his job involves feet. So he took the mold for me and sent them out. They have a hard sole through the arch which is apparently supposed to provide more support? I'm not too sure, I let my dad take care of all that. But once you get used to them, it's great. It took a lot of pressure off my ankle and knee (I also have a bad ankle, go figure) and I was fine for about a year, but I'm starting to get more issues with my knee now, which is why I'm back on this site. Of course, I also haven't been wearing them all the time beacuse they don't always fit too well in all my shoes, and I like changing up my shoes a lot. So I guess it's partially my own fault.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/