Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: complete rupture of ACL  (Read 813 times)

Offline camo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
complete rupture of ACL
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:41:59 PM »
I had a complete rupture of my acl in the left knee 12 months ago this week.  I'm not an athlete although my job is physical( i've been out of work since).  I had an mri scan in september last year, and a complete rupture was suspected.  I then had an artroscopy in december and this was confirmed.   since then it seems like the hospital are trying to do everything to avoid the surgery.3 weeks ago my knee gave way coming down the stairs and i ended back in a+e with a mcl tear and suspected meniscus damage.  I was told by the surgeon that, I, am making his job harder!!!  I was put in a splint and had it removed yesterday.  The muscles in my thigh are non existant but i was told i would not be requiring physiotherapy  Is mine an unusual case?  I've recently been put on a six month waiting list!!!  The hospital concerned is Southport and Ormskirk.  I'm at the end of my tether!!  Oh i forgot to mention, i had blood removed from my knee after the stairs incident, what does this mean? the surgeon said it was not good, but didn't elaborate!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:56:18 PM by camo »
Complete rupture of acl
Lax MCL
ACL recon. using hamstring graft, 22/11/06

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: complete rupture of ACL
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:49:54 PM »
Oh my gosh..  your experience sounds awful...    there is no question that acl reconstruction would have saved you damage to your meniscus and the MCL...   the meniscus is the one that worries me...    You absolutely need PT to rebuild your quad..   how is your range of motion ?   It is critical that you regain ROM and as much strength in your quad as possible before surgery...  if you dont have ROM and strength going in it is almost impossible to get it afterward...   
With 6 months until your surgery, it sounds like you have just the time you need to rebuild that muscle...    Please see someone experienced in sports medicine to get you on the road to healing..

good luck to you
Kai
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008