Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL Tears - Is this true?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
MCL Tears - Is this true?
« on: July 28, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
I heard that if you sustain an MCL tear, it will heal on it's own, but it will always heal lax because of the way the fibers of the ligament grow back together. So does this mean that those of us with MCL tears will have to live with loose MCL's? Wouldn't this predispose us to further injury eventually?

Also, can any of you recommend some really good exercises to help strengthen the area around the MCL to support it better. I understand you cannot strengthen the MCL itself or even tighten it up (only surgery can, but most docs won't do it). I would be so grateful to hear of any tips or suggestions that can beef up my program! Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: MCL Tears - Is this true?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »
My daughter had a 3- tear of her MCL sustained when someone slid into home sitting up and hit her across the knee (she was the catcher). A 3- tear is almost a complete tear. It was a very painful injury and a fairly long rehab, but she was back catching the next summer. That was several years ago and she hasn't had a problem with her knee since.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 06:07:15 PM »
I understand you cannot strengthen the MCL itself or even tighten it up (only surgery can, but most docs won't do it).

Interesting statement as I distinctly recall my OS saying when I saw him 6 weeks post injury that my MCL was "tightening nicely." FWIW...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Thanks Audice, I know that it tightens up to an extent, i.e. when you swing your leg it doesn't move like a pendulum anymore... ::), but realistically, does anyone understand the way the ligament heals. I understand the fibers overlap each other when they heal (kind of like putting your fingers of each hand together (these would represent the fibers of the ligament) to form a pattern, but don't push them together all the way) but the fibers do not actually return to their original length. Does that make sense? Can anyone confirm for sure? I'm not due back to OS now until September, I forgot to ask him.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support