Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Open lateral release and medial reefing?  (Read 846 times)

Offline wsdmskr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Open lateral release and medial reefing?
« on: July 28, 2006, 06:00:46 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and I was hoping that perhaps someone may be able to put my mind to rest.  I have recently dislocated my right patella and have been told that I need a "open lateral release and medial reefing".  I followed up this doctors opinion with a second and he concurred.  My problem is that I have a general distrust of most doctors and this, compounded with the fact that this is a work related injury, makes me worried that my doctor may be eager to do the surgery because he knows the bill is going to be paid by the insurance co.  The questions that I ask are A:  How serious of an operation this is? B:  What does it entail? ( I think it involves "loosening" one ligament and rebuilding a new one on the other side), and C:  How succesfull can this surgery be if I pay my dues in physical therapy afterwards?  I'm 29 years old and an avid athlete who plays baseball, basketball, and soccer quite regularly.  Will I be able to resume my normal active lifestyle and be as competitive as I used to be?  Thank you all for your insight and help. - Mike

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Open lateral release and medial reefing?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »
Mike,

If you have two doctors in agreement then it sounds good.  You can also ask your surgeon  - if you find more is necessary will he go ahead and fix your knee. 
Medial Reefing
Medial reefing is a procedure to try and pull the kneecap towards the midline by tightening the structures on the inner side, rather than releasing the structures on the outer side (lateral release). It is often done in conjunction with a lateral release.
The procedure involves placing strong stitches through the inner structures and pulling them tight.
Physio after surgery is important to get everything working again.

Make sure you ask for a post-op protocol.  Learn to elevate, ice, rest and take your meds. 

Let us know how everything goes.  Good luck.  ~Shade

July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline 3timeloser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Open lateral release and medial reefing?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 12:22:50 PM »
Hi, I'm Keegan. I'm having a lateral release done arthoscopically and medial reefing next monday and I had pretty much the same questions for my OS. He said that I'll be in a small, stretchy brace by the time I go back to school.  :D But every knee is different. Best of luck.

support