Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: it's all greek...  (Read 871 times)

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
it's all greek...
« on: July 27, 2006, 11:16:36 PM »
 I posted this in microfractures but no answer any one here know what this was?

I've finally gotten the surgical reports of my knee surgery but not having majored in "medicaleze" I'm in the dark as to what was actually done. Please translate.

"Some hemorrahagic areas noted in the synovium. Under surface of the patella revealed mild fibrillation....
found to have chondral defect along the outer edge of the medial femoral condyle, more in the anterior portion. Mild fraying of the medial meniscus.....chondroplasty was carried out...cartilaginous loose body found and aspirated...microfracture carried out over the chondral defect...removal of medial synovial plica...

I get the microfracture part due to reading this board, as well as the plica but the rest is HUH?

Thanks!
tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
Re: it's all greek...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:39:02 AM »
"Some hemorrahagic areas noted in the synovium.

There was some bleeding areas in the capsule which surrounds the knee. The synovium is a fluid-filled capsule which acts like a sheath around the joint.

Under surface of the patella revealed mild fibrillation....

The bottom side of your kneecap (patella) had some articular cartilage (the hard white stuff on the gliding surfaces at the ends of bones) that was slightly frayed -- looks kinda like white seaweed floating in the ocean, on a much tinier scale.

found to have chondral defect along the outer edge of the medial femoral condyle, more in the anterior portion.

The inside end of your thigh bone (femur) has a hole or lesion in the articular cartilage on the front outside edge of it.

Mild fraying of the medial meniscus.....

The C-shaped cushioning cartilage (meniscus) on the inside of the knee has some mild fraying... again, looks a bit like white seaweed floating in the ocean, on a very tiny scale. Or, it can look like chewed up tissue paper.

chondroplasty was carried out...

Hard to tell with it out of context, but it could either mean your meniscus was resected (less likely) or the chondral lesion (discussed above) was debrided (more likely).

cartilaginous loose body found and aspirated...

There was a loose fragment, probably a piece of meniscus or articular cartilage, found floating loose in the joint and it was sucked out by a suction catheter placed through one of the arthroscopy cannulas.

microfracture carried out over the chondral defect...

Some kind of microfracture technique (there are a few) was performed on the above-mentioned lesion in the articular cartilage.

removal of medial synovial plica...

The plica found on the inside of the knee was removed. A plica is a piece of tissue, which has an uncertain purpose, and can be found in various places in the knee. They can become inflamed or caught in the joint and are believed to cause problems.

There ya have it....

Meg

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: it's all greek...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:17:17 AM »
Thank you so much! I was trying to piece the phrases together in a search engine and got way to many unrelated things.

tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.