Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Using crutches ????????????????  (Read 2895 times)

Offline markglynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Using crutches ????????????????
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:49:51 AM »
Just a quick question, i was wondering how long everyone had to use crutches after their operations. I've had an ACL recon operation and my surgeon has told my physio's minimum of 6 weeks and only partial weight to be put on it for that lenght of time. This seems extreme to me but there again i'm bored of using the sticks as it's been 3 weeks and they're getting in the bl**dy way. >:(

Mark.
Football injury april 29th 2005, twisted my left knee. Cartalidge op in the nov and then ACL operation on the 6th july 2006.

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Using crutches ????????????????
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:59:01 AM »
I did 3 weeks then down to one crutch then a couple of days with a stick just to make sure I was walking properly. It does vary some people have no crutches at all or have a brace some have brace and crutches it depends on the surgeon.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 10:49:24 PM »
Generally speaking, if you have had just an acl repair, than weight bearing is not a problem...  Some OS have patients walking out of hospital the day after the surgery.  My OS had me on crutches for 4 weeks strictly to protect the graft until the attachments healed...  If you have had problems with the meniscus, or possible microfracture surgery, then weight bearing for about 6 weeks is a definate no no...   Only your OS knows your specific injury and what was done...  so..  I would do as he/she says...
cheers
Kai
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »
Mark,

Since everyone is different and everyone has a slightly different surgery, it's really best that you follow your surgeon's protocol for weightbearing status. While it might seem that you had the same surgery as someone else, each surgeon has their own reasons for what they do and if you want the best result possible, it's best to listen to your surgeon.

If you're really struggling, perhaps you could call your surgeon's office and ask if he's willing to change things for you. If it's just that you're bored, maybe you can talk to some folks on here who've been non-weightbearing and on crutches for several months -- they might have some great ideas for how to handle it. It is tough, and I think it's a good idea to get help with getting through it.

Good luck!

Meg

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:11:01 PM »
I had a microfracture, chondroplasty and trim the middle of April 2006 and I was recently released to weight bearing as tolerated,July 14. Prev. it was only toe touch. It was 12 weeks of hell. I have enormous calouses on the heels of my hands from the grips on the crutches.My other leg is now creating problems due to the extra weight and duty of being the only one in use. Good luck and stay with what the dr says. He does have his reasons.
tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 11:57:54 PM »
I had Chrondroplasty with drilling on both condoyles .... both on weight baring spots.  My doc had me weight baring as tolerated from the get go. It was pure crutch hell.  I found the lidocaine patches helped. 

Now I was able to hobble around at five weeks maybe a few feet.  Two months  I could get around the house with out crutches.  Three months.. I started to walk short very short distances with out crutches. .. Four months - Six..   still needed crutches to get around ..  After had orthovics shots.. and now wear unloader brace but still walk as  90 old..   

No joint space on medial side .. I am now pre knee replacement.  I see my doc Next friday on Aug 4 and see how the OA has progressed or not.  Still it sucks...   From a small posterior horn tear on MRI  to  finding out that all the drilling was a bandaid only so many months.....  Actually.  I am not looking foward to any knee replacment what so ever..  pain pain pain...  or more pain paiin pain  pain.

But in the end no One can  spend the entire life on crutches.

Offline ahw1971

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:43 AM »
Had Rt arthroscopy with lateral release, open medial plication and stabilization of patella with removal of damaged cartilage on 6/23/06. Have been NWB on crutches for 5weeks and my OS said a total of 2 1/2 months on the crutches last time I saw him. I was not very happy - I am ready to throw the crutches out the window!!! :-X :'( :'(

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 03:21:13 AM »
I am almost 2 weeks post-op from an ACLR, meniscus repair and partial menisectomy...I've got 4 weeks totally NWB and then can shift to PWB as tolerated - it will probably take 2+ weeks to be able to walk much without crutches - maybe longer since it is crazy how fast my leg atrophed post-op. I was NWB for about 5 weeks after my injury so I feel your pain! No good way to make it go faster - but I think it's important to follow your own OS protocol to get the best results!
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39:31 AM »
I'm 5 weeks post-op from a derotational femoral ostetomy and I'm down to one crutch and full weight bearing  :) yay for metal rods!

Offline markglynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 09:43:46 AM »
Thanks for all your surpport at least now i know i'm not on my own
with the length of time that i'm on my crutches. I was told at
physio yersterday that i have to have my brace on for at least 12 weeks ouch !!!!!! :(
oh well

Thanks again
Mark :) :) :)
Football injury april 29th 2005, twisted my left knee. Cartalidge op in the nov and then ACL operation on the 6th july 2006.

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
Ugh - I think to me the brace is WAY worse than crutches - I have to wear mine all the time for 12 weeks - and during any "activity" for at least a year! So I'd better get used to it - but I can't help but feel that my leg is in "jail" ;)
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline camo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 11:01:41 PM »
I lasted 2 days!! i was in a splint after tearing my acl waiting for an acl recon.  They should come with cushions built in, they don't half hurt your hands!!
Complete rupture of acl
Lax MCL
ACL recon. using hamstring graft, 22/11/06

Offline PoppetK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 08:22:07 AM »
I suffered a tibial plaetau fracture and was totally non weightbearing for 12 weeks.  I was on the crutches for almost 2 weeks before they discovered my TPF (first hospital I went to said it was 'sprained' and discharged me with the crutches and told me to try and walk on it  ::)).

After getting the go ahead to weightbear it took me about another 2 weeks to ditch them altogether, so about 16 weeks in total.

In the beginning it was total hell, I hated every minute of it.  BUT, it does get easier, you do get used to them and for what it's worth my non weightbearing period did go quite quickly.

I am now walking fine and feeling great.  I have slight pain occasionally, but that's probably down the the screw in my knee!

Good luck, get well soon.  :)

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »
Good thread and impressive for the shortest and longest time on crutches!  Clearly I am attempting to gain the longest time on crutches accolade.  I am 16 weeks post op and still on two crutches. My poor hands are really starting to suffer now.  Every time I go to physio I try to dump the crutches.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 03:47:20 AM »
My PT acutally dumped one crutch a week early. I was supposed to have my 2 crutches for another 2 weeks. (well one now) but on my first visit to thearpy she was like can you go down to one? I said no because i felt like I was gonna fall over. Then on my second visit when I jumped off the table and stood with my full weight on my operated right leg she took a crutch away. This is good and bad. Being on the crutches is really irritating the pinched nerve I have in my left wrist and elbow so I've taken to wearing my wrist brace when I walk. SO being down to one crutch is cool but unfortunately it was my RIGHt side that was operated on so I have to use the LEFT crutch...which isn't cool my fingers are numb....which REALLY isn't cool because I'm LEFT handed!!!  >:(

BUT being down a crutch means that hopefully soon I can be totally without them!

j_smi001... a good pair of biking gloves might help your poor hands! they support the hands nicely and also give you a great grip on the crutches esp. when they get all sweaty esp in the summer.  :)