Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pain above knee cap  (Read 935 times)

Offline pemn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pain above knee cap
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
I am female, just under 50 yrs old, not overweight. I used to walk for exercise, but that produced pain in the bones of my feet caused by the pounding because I have insufficient "padding" on my feet. So I switched to using stair stepper about 30 minutes/day and have done so for about 6 months (but I don't do "steep" stepping).  I have begun feeling pain above both my kneecaps (Based on some cursory online research, I suspect this might be in the quadriceps tendons, but I have not yet seen a doctor). Can continuing to do my stepper daily cause me tendon injury? Should I just stop? I need to do some kind of aerobic and weight-bearing activity to keep my heart and bones strong. I don't know what to do if not walking or stepping. Would elliptical trainer be less harsh on the knees? Or will it likely produce the same kind of pain?

Offline camshere

• Regular Poster
Re: pain above knee cap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
Hi there.
The best way to know when something is not right is by listening to pain. That is really force fed to me in my rehabilitation program: listen to the knee, if it hurts, stop what you are doing. There are several things you can try: cut down on the resistance and/or duration of exercise, for example.
An elliptical may be a LITTLE better, but you still have similar motion as you do with a stairmaster. You should try, but if it still hurts, listen to the pain. It could simply be a strained quad tendon. Maybe rest it for awhile? Have you tried a stationary bike?
Continuing to aggravate an injury can surely cause more damage if you have a torn, sprained, etc. tendon.
If the pain continues, I would surely see a doctor.

Best of luck,

CAM
10/26/96 - ACLR (patellar tendon autograft) and
                 meniscectomy -  R. Knee               
11/06/06 - ACLR revision (quad tendon autograft)
                R. Knee

Both soccer injuries

Offline pemn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply, CAM. I guess it's common sense to stop -- at least temporarily -- to see if the pain goes away. I just don't want to age too fast! I'm afraid if I stop moving I'll be an old lady in no time!!  ;D

Offline camshere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »
Certainly, I understand! I think I would try the stationary bike to start with and see how that feels. Or just take a few days off and then slowly work back up to where you are. It is quite amazing what a couple days rest will accomplish!
10/26/96 - ACLR (patellar tendon autograft) and
                 meniscectomy -  R. Knee               
11/06/06 - ACLR revision (quad tendon autograft)
                R. Knee

Both soccer injuries

Offline aussiemike

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »
I guess you would have tried all the "solutions" to your walking problem, walking on grass not roads, better padded shoes, etc. Do those walking machines cause you to get sore feet too?
Cam's stationary bike idea is a good one. I get some quad tendon problems when I run sometimes but riding a bike doesn't seem to agravate it.