Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'm 14 and my knee is ruining my life! (post if you feel the same about yours)  (Read 6291 times)

Offline 3timeloser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I hate my knee so much. I have had 3 full patellar dislocations of my left knee. Tommorow is my pre-op. appointment and I'm completely dreading it. I'm having a scope LR, something to tighten the medial meniscus, and I think a TTT (my os never told me exactly what the procedure is called)because my leg is malaligned. I have been reading the boards and they are scaring me. It sounds like ALOT of time for recovery from all of those, and I only have about 4 weeks from the day of the surgery to the day I go back to school. And to make it worse, I'm starting high school this year. My knee completely ruined all my plans for freshman year. No Winter Ball with my boyfriend, can't go to the homecoming game or dance in a HUGE leg brace. It already ruined my 8th grade because my first dislocation was August 8th. I had to go back to school in a cast. And my second dislocation was october 2. That one was so bad, I had to be in a wheelchair for 2 weeks. In school. After ALOT of physical therapy (in the morning, before school).  Finally, in the spring, my knee was all better. But then at my softball game, it dislocated again, when I was wearing my brace. *yipee!*  I had to just go and watch the games for the rest of the season and not get to play like my best friends. And I love sports, but NOOO, it has to happen to me, and not someone else who doesnt even like running. I used to play soccer too, for about 4 years. I was voted the best one on my team about every season. But in the middle of the 8th season, my right ankle broke. FUN FUN FUN. No problems with cheerleading though,(this was 6th and 7th grade, after the ankle but before the knee prob.s started). So pretty much, my knee ruins my life. ALL tHE time. My dad was in the NAvy (he's retired now) so thank god for navy medical insurance. I have had about 5 mri's and this surgery should be pretty costly. If anyone here also has this hate for their knee, post here.

<3k.elizabeth

Offline alex2004

• Regular Poster
hey elizabeth.......... Im sorry to hear about your knee, there is really nothing i can do to make you feel better, but if it helps ive had 2 lateral releases and i am probably going to have another in august. Im not going to lie to you and tell  you its not a big deal, its surgery, but I can let you know that you get over it and you move on. Im not as young as you, but i am 19 years old, about to turn 20 in a month, and I began having knee problems when i was about your age. I had my first lateral release on the right knee when i was 16 and then i had my left knee done when i was 18. Im probably going to have a second on my left knee in a month, so at the age of 20.  :-\ I dont know what to tell you about the TTT, i had someone told me that i might need to get one of those, but im not sure. I dont know a lot about it either, but you should tell your doctor to give you all the details, that is his job, what he gets paid for, so tomorrow when you have your preop appointment aske him all the questions youve got, it doesnt matter how long it takes or anything, thats what he is there for. I know how you feel, I love sports, i live for them and it sucks when you cant play them or when you cant play them without pain. As far as your knee ruining your life, i sometimes feel ike that but then i think of all the people that are worse off than me, peopel that are paralized, that cant see, people that dont have any friends or family to support them. I tried to look at the positive side of my injury, like i finally had time to sit down and learn how to play the guitar, something i had always wanted to do but had not done it because of sports. Now i play and i compose my own music and all that, I know its hard to try to find something positive about the whole situation, but if you try hard enough you will... anyways if you need to talk feel free to message me or aim me at prsurfa..alex
right knee - lateral release in 2004

left knee - small meniscus tear and patellar cartilage tear. Had surgery in 2005 where it all got fixed and had a lateral release. Knee hurts more now that it did before surgery, chondromalacia.

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
elizabeth,

unfortunatly i know exactly how you feel. I started dislocating both my knees when i was 11 and have now had 8 full dislocations, 4 on each knee with a ton of subluxations. Like you, ive done tons of PT, bracing etc. etc. Im also extremely athletic, about to start my sophmore year in high school. (15 years old) I play sports all year round and run a ton. Because of these stupid dislocations i've missed so many games.
anyways im having a TTT, lateral release, and vmo advancement (the same thing you described) the friggin day before i go back to school!!! (august 29th) it sucks cause im gonna miss  a lot of school. and not to mention i have to have both knees done..one at the end of august and then one in the spring? soo i cant play sports for the whole year. And trust me, i know exactly how you feel. it sucks, i live for sports and running. I mean when your young and in HS or MS having knee problems like this sucks! haha i mean i went to my 8th grade semi formal on crutches in a immoblizer and missed my freshman prom this year because of a dislocation. I know its realllly hard but try to think about the good things, i mean for you only one of your knees has problems so that is definatly a plus. so you know, your not the only one. feel free to private message if you want, id be happy to answer annny questions about the surgery, and id like to know how your pre-op appt. went.

kels
15 yrs. old
tons of dislocations and subluxations on both knees
TTT/LR/medial reefing on left knee- August 29, 2006
TTT/LR/medial reefing on right knee- February 13, 2007

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
As much as it sucks, it will not ruin your life.   ;)  I began my knee surgeries at 15, could not play softball in high school, and just had my TTT done a few months ago, at the age of 31.  Here is my thoughts for you...

You are young enough that you should not have much trouble recovering from surgery, even a TTT.  I am right around 12 weeks post op.  I was off crutches at 3 weeks (some doctors keep you on crutches until 6 weeks).  I was out of my immobilizer at 5 weeks and walking up and down stairs at 8 weeks.  I will start trying to jog this week. 

If you want to go to your dance, don't let your brace stop you.  You may have to wear flats, or really cute tennis shoes even, but go to your dance.  Enjoy high school as much as you can - it is all in how you look at it.  If you want it to suck, then it will suck, but if you are determined to have fun no matter what, then you will have fun.   :)  Life is too short not to have fun.  Plus if your TTT is successful then you will be able to do everything else during school.  I ended up with 2 knee surgeries while in high school, another one two months after graduation (I started college on crutches) and two more later in life.  Worst case you will sacrifice a few months of your life to recovery, but if your mind is in the right place then your recovery will go much quicker.  Besides...after the surgery you have an excuse to do nothing and let others take care of you!   :D 

Hang in there and make the best out of your high school years!!!!   ;)
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Elizabeth,

Sorry to hear about your knee. I know what you're going through. When I was 11 (6th grade) my kneecaps started dislocating. I didn't have surgery until last summer. I had a TTT/LR on both knees 7 weeks apart, so I started my Junior year on crutches. Most of first semester was dedicated to recovering, so I didn't get to march or anything. I did get to play tennis in the spring, but it was still in pain. This summer I had another surgery. I guess I've been lucky to have had each surgery during the summer. However, one thing I have realized is that, while highschool seems like your entire life right now, you have so much ahead of you. For me, I would much rather get everything done now and be as healthy as possible for college and beyond. Like Sharon said, make the best of it. You will only get out of it what you put into it. Keep your head up!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
I hate my knee so much. I have had 3 full patellar dislocations of my left knee. Tommorow is my pre-op. appointment and I'm completely dreading it. I'm having a scope LR, something to tighten the medial meniscus, and I think a TTT (my os never told me exactly what the procedure is called)because my leg is malaligned. I have been reading the boards and they are scaring me. It sounds like ALOT of time for recovery from all of those, and I only have about 4 weeks from the day of the surgery to the day I go back to school. And to make it worse, I'm starting high school this year. My knee completely ruined all my plans for freshman year. No Winter Ball with my boyfriend, can't go to the homecoming game or dance in a HUGE leg brace. It already ruined my 8th grade because my first dislocation was August 8th. I had to go back to school in a cast. And my second dislocation was october 2. That one was so bad, I had to be in a wheelchair for 2 weeks. In school. After ALOT of physical therapy (in the morning, before school).  Finally, in the spring, my knee was all better. But then at my softball game, it dislocated again, when I was wearing my brace. *yipee!*  I had to just go and watch the games for the rest of the season and not get to play like my best friends. And I love sports, but NOOO, it has to happen to me, and not someone else who doesnt even like running. I used to play soccer too, for about 4 years. I was voted the best one on my team about every season. But in the middle of the 8th season, my right ankle broke. FUN FUN FUN. No problems with cheerleading though,(this was 6th and 7th grade, after the ankle but before the knee prob.s started). So pretty much, my knee ruins my life. ALL tHE time. My dad was in the NAvy (he's retired now) so thank god for navy medical insurance. I have had about 5 mri's and this surgery should be pretty costly. If anyone here also has this hate for their knee, post here.

<3k.elizabeth
Elizabeth, I feel so bad for you becasue you are so young. It makes me feel ashamed of myself for what I'm going through. I was very active and yet have had several operations. I'm 59 now which probably seems quite old to you.  Seven months ago I I had a Total Knee replacement after a failed arthroscopy and Partial knee replacement. Even 59 is considered young for a knee replacement. I worked in a Preschool and the pain got so bad I had to retire from my job. Due to the previous surgeries on the same knee the rehabilitation has been pretty rough and painful. I've been on narcotic pain meds for two years. Things are finally starting to look up when I decided to take charge of my knee and not let my knee take charge of me. I am doing exercises especially pool exercises that seem to be making quite a difference. I know you are active but are there certain exercises that you can do to strengthen the knee so it doesn't keep dislocating.  Do you go to an Orthopedic surgeon regularly.  With the advance in orthopedic medicine today I cannot beleive there isn't an answer for you, but you must do what the Doctor and Physical thereapist tell you and that is not easy when you are so young and see your friends doing things you can't. Maybe that is it, you are pushing too hard instead of taking the time to heal. I too am so tired of thinking about my knee all the time and like I said I bought this book on my problem and it has so many helpful suggestions and exercises I can do. Once I started this I am turning things around. Don't let your knee control you, take control of your knee. Make sure you tell the doctors how you feel and that you feel your knee is ruining yur life and that you will do anything yu can to change that, even if it means surgery. Hang in there sweety, things are going to get better.

Offline tiahp95

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
hey,
yeah i'm 15 and have been that i need surgery on my left knee because i have dislocated in 7 times in the past month (ow!)
so i'll be having the surgery next month and then he said six weeks on crutches and during that time is my year eleven semi formal, and my boyfriend's the week before, so he's taking someone else to his and i'll be sitting at the table while all my friends are out dancing. so yeah.. my knee is ruining my high school experience..

Offline SuckyKneesInNC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I HATE MY KNEES!!!!!! That about sums it up. My right knee started when I was 13 and had my first surgery when I was 16. Now here I am at 37 having to give up most of the things that I love cause of the pain, i have had 6 surgeries on the right knee and 2 on the left and that right knee still hurts like a B*&%^.

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
Hey there - sorry to hear bout your problems, only real advice i can give is STAY POSITIVE!!! 8)

Im in a similar situation to you (though not quite as prolonged), am 19 yrs old, start uni in september. Have had mild knee problems since age of 14, (MCL strains, mucle sprains etc.) but ruptured my ACL and tore meniscus in March. ALready had a scope but Still waiting for ACL recon, will probably be start of september, so will mess up my scehdule!! The main reason im looking forward to uni is to go and try loads and loads of different sports that ive never tried before, such as basketball, swimming, athletics, hockey etc. etc. alongside playing football, (soccer) which ive done since the age of 6!

Obviously now, i wont be able to do that for my 1st year, but im just thinking about how much better it wil be to finally be able to play sports again! It seems a long way off now, but when it finally does come it will be amazing, and in the long run...a year really isnt that long. I probably wont be able to do all the things i was originally planning to do, at least not for a while.

But you know what...im still going to go, and have a good time and focus on the posititves. Dont dwell on the fact that you cant do this, cant do that, but think about the good times you can still have: relaxing with your mates, all the parties and social events, think about what you want to get out of high school, what you want to do in the future etc etc.

Iknow its a real b*tch cause your still really young, but it's not the end of the world, things will look up and you will be fine in the future...just stay positive!! 8) ;D

Best of luck!
xxx
March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
I feel bad for you as well Elizabeth, but don't let a brace or immobilizer put you off going to your prom. At my High School formal (our equivalent) there were 2 girls who were in car separate car accidents the week before, they were in pretty bad shape, couple of broken bones and both their faces were pretty badly cut and bruised, but they both came and they both really ejoyed it. I know you'd rather not wear it, but you shouldn't let it put you off going.

I can sympathise with you being so frustrated at things taking so long, I have the same injury as roo. Happened 19 months ago, have my surgery next friday. I am a bit older than you (okay I'm 25, more than a bit) and I was pretty active, played footie (soccer) a bit of squash and ran quite a bit.

I agree with the advice you've had so far, make sure you ask as many questions as you can. Try and stay positive, trust me I know that's easier said than done, there will be times when no matter what anyone says you'll be pissed off, but just try and remember, it won't be forever and soon it will be all behind you :)

Pete

Offline dancinonwater

• Regular Poster
Trust me, I know how you feel! Both my knees have subluxated all the time since i was 11, in 6th grade. Now I'll be 14 in less than a month, and i'd say they probably do it a couple of times every hour. It absolutely sucks! I am also one of the most active kids i know, as I'm a very committed dancer. I dance atleast 14 hours a week, or atleast did until my knees started acting up again, and this year was supposed to be my big year, the year I was going to dance as principal in our show, be a lead in the company, and be awarded student of the year. I have really bad tracking and probably a plica, but my OS was saying how annoying my case is because I have so many possible problems that are difficult to diagnose! So, i'm expecting an arthroscopy and plica removal before i even turn 14, infact probably right around my birthday! How fun! My knees really seem to be ruinng my life... I have to use a wheelchair at stores and museums and the elevator at school, and i can't go on my photography expeditions anymore, but i still attend every dance class, learning the dances, pretending that there's hope that I'll be in them, or even that I'll dance the way i once did again... But I am still strong! I work so hard at everything i can do to get my knees better! So my advice is to just stop pitying yourself! Why can't you go to prom or homecoming in a brace? Don't let this ruin your year or your life! Dispite anything that might try to hold you back, carpe diem! live your life to the fullest!

good luck, and please post how your surgery went and how you're doing! also, what brace were you wearing when you dislocated at that game? have you tried the Breg PTO? I've heard around here that it works very well, so maybe it could help a bit with your dislocations.
13 years old, dancer, musical theatrist

08-09  PT for patellar maltracking and frequent subluxations in the LK
08-current  knee pain in LK & RK
'11  DX of maltracking and tilt in both knees, minor patellar tendonitis
'11  Scope w/ synovectomy and lateral meniscus trim

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
3timeloser,
Let me give you the good news, most of the people who post on this website are older people, no offense to any of these people they have been great help and I appreciate everyone of them. However my daughter is 13 and in 2008, playing soccer, she went to kick a new goalie kick she had been taught and experienced her first patellar dislocation. Her dad popped it back in place (thank god for dad's) she went to her doc the next morn and yes she too ended up in a wonderful full length immobilizer and had plenty of PT she had to attend. Just when we thought she was back to normal her team made playoffs and while warming up at the playoff games she jumped to block the ball (goalie again) and when she came down she came all the way down. I thought for sure her knee had dislocated again, to my surprise it was the other leg. So just like you she watched championship games from the sidelines. From there on out one knee or the other dislocated at least once a week. Her first OS decided it would be a good idea to staple her growth plates on the inside to try and get the knees to align with the shin and this would help. Had both knees done at 1 time and she was completely bed ridden for 2 months. Sat the bench for the whole season of softball and cheered her team to championship victory. Again tons of PT to no avail. Knee caps still dislocated constantly and that brings us to Feb. 3 when she had a fulkerson/MPFL reconstruction with LR and staple removal. The good news is that by 5 days post op she was barely using any pain meds. By the end of week 1 she needed no pain meds at all. She is now 3 1/2 weeks post op and getting around completely on her own with the dumb brace. She was allowed to go back to school 2 weeks post op but had some issues with her shoulder so she is returning tomorrow. OS said she will be able to ditch the brace before 8th grade dance in May. So for you younger people I think recovery is much easier and much quicker. Just think of all the attention you will get from your boyfriend. Though you may feel better 1 week after surgery you can still play damsel in distress until you ditch the brace. My daughter to is starting her freshman year and PT says shel be ready for softball tryouts which will be next March. Then lucky her she has to have the right knee done after softball season is over so she can be ready for sophomore year. So head up... it's going to be a lot easier than you think. Keep us posted and we'll be here to answer any questions we can.
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline Marie McK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Dancinonwater
I had to post to tell you how much you sound like my daughter as she is going through the same scenario as you. Everyday there is a risk that her left knee will give way and now her right one is feeling unstable. Last year her knee subluxed in the last 6 mins of her Grade 6 Ballet exam and so this year she has to repeat that whole year of ballet before she can do her majors. The surgeon says she cant have surgery until she is aboutr 16 she's 13 now and basically told her to give up dancing until then- UNLIKELY!!! She was also supposed to do a Tap Championship this year but not sure now as this are so unclear. Now the physio says not to tape or brace her knee when she dances so her muscles learn to switch on and to keep dancing. So confused. I really feel for you as mums seem to feel as much pain as their daughters.
Marie

Offline dancinonwater

• Regular Poster
Marie-
It sure can be tough to have bad knees stop you from doing something you love that's so important to you, especially so young! Yesterday I went to an audition and they called me back, but they couldn't take me for the role because they couldn't see me dance...  :'( . And that was my dream role, too..... Oh well, I have surgery on Thursday morning (that'll be 5 days before my birthday), and, although i probably have osteoarthritis, atleast we're getting somwhere. I'm having an arthroscopy to see what's going on and probably clean up my cartilage, as that's what we think is wrong. I am just worried that I really won't be able to dance like i used to... Why did they say she can't have surgery until she's 16? And what kind of surgery are you looking into? And about the taping and bracing, it really depends who you ask. I say that if you find it really helps her, do it, but also do tons of exercises at home to be strong as well, but if it only helps a bit, try to really strengthen first. You want her muscles to support her own knee, but that isn't always possible. Good luck to you guys, I wish you the best! And I hope your daughter and i both have many more wonderful years of dancing to look forward too!

-Dancinonwater
13 years old, dancer, musical theatrist

08-09  PT for patellar maltracking and frequent subluxations in the LK
08-current  knee pain in LK & RK
'11  DX of maltracking and tilt in both knees, minor patellar tendonitis
'11  Scope w/ synovectomy and lateral meniscus trim

Offline Marie McK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Dancinonwater

How devasting to get so close in your audition. The doctor says Rachel cant have surgery until she's about 16 because she needs to have stopped growing first although she has had a massive growth spurt over the last year so maybe she's almost done growing. They say she will need a patellar realignment because both her knees are tilting. The taping and bracing has been stopped but Im still not sure why so will look into it further. She has had to give up acro altogether and so it puts her out of a competition trio that she loved and the two other girls in it are devasted but Rach is insisting that they carry on as a duo and she will support them by being side stage at every comp. Im very proud of her for that as I know its breaking her heart. She has danced tentatively over the last couple of days without tape/ brace but tonight came out of ballet with her brace on as she refuses to go on pointe without some sort or support. I really hope your surgery goes well and i agree that you both deserve to have many years of dancing to come for being such dedicated performers. I know Rachel has missed so many parties, school camps and everyday fun things because she has commited to a reheasrsal or extra class so this seems so unfair. Good luck again and Ill keep you in my prayers on the day of your surgery.
Marie

support