Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee dislocation... 3 times. Awaiting surgery, any advice?  (Read 872 times)

Offline 3timeloser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee dislocation... 3 times. Awaiting surgery, any advice?
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:13:57 AM »
Hi, I'm Keegan. About a year ago, I was walking down the stairs and all of a sudden my kneecap dislocated on my left leg.  I wore a leg immobilizer for 3 weeks and a cast for another 3. A few days after I got my cast off, I was wearing a small brace on my knee and I tripped and fell. Because my knee wasn't flexible from being straight for so long, it bent fast and my knee dislocated again, tearing the scar tissue from the first dislocation. After that, I was in a cracked cast for another while, and even in a wheelchair for 2 weeks. I went through intense physical therapy, and by January I was pretty much okay. But in mid-May, at my softball game, I was running past first when my knee popped out. For the third time. I was in an immobilizer again, and on crutches. My pre-op. appointment is in 2 days and in a few weeks I will be having a lateral release, the OS will tighten my miniscus, and do something with the patellar tendon to fix my miserable malalignment. . If anyone has had any experience with any of these situations, please reply.

<3 K. Elizabeth

14 years old :-*

Offline Cathy2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Bubbly redhead
Re: Knee dislocation... 3 times. Awaiting surgery, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »
Hi there

Im Cathy and had lateral release done in April and it does relieve the problem just be aware the pain will not be gone straight away and physio can be intense and does aggreviate the knee until it starts to settle down,I was sent home day after op and no crutches but to be honest if they ask you if you want them have them as the knee does seem to swell a lot and it it difficult to walk on it properley.

Im afraid i cannot say this worked for me as from 2 weeks ago my knee is back to square one we think so please ensure that this is what you want and go through everything with your consultant.

Im waiting to see physio and my consultant to see what happens next.

Let me know how it goes.

Cathy2