Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracure and carticel  (Read 949 times)

Offline holly101

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracure and carticel
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:06:50 AM »
I am 35 years old and have had microfracture chondroplasty done on my right knee to repair to defects.  Tehy have already removed the cells from my knee for Carticel in case this did not work.  How long after microfracture surgery can the carticel be done?  My cells were taken in MArch and from what I read they are only good for 1 year.  Can any one possibly tell this information?

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Re: microfracure and carticel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:56:41 AM »
I'm not sure, but I'm a fellow mircofracture surgery patient as well.  I had mine in May.  I was told the success of my surgery won't be none for at least 6 months because it takes that much time for the bone marrow that was released to harden.  I'm not sure how I feel about my surgery yet.  I'm still waiting for some significant good signs to show up. 

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:51:51 AM »
My cells were taken in MArch and from what I read they are only good for 1 year.  Can any one possibly tell this information?

I looked on the Carticel site and couldn't find an answer for you. I stopped following the current information on ACI when I was no longer a candidate for the procedure, so what I know is a year old. From what I recall, as long as the cells hadn't been cultured, they kept them for 5 years. It's the cultured cells that don't keep very long, as they are "alive" at that point.

I'd suggest posting this on the ACI board, because someone there might be more current than I.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=35.0

Also, have you given up on the microfracture already? My understanding was that it took at least 6-12 months to know if the procedure was effective.

Meg

Offline holly101

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:03:25 AM »
Thank you for looking up the information.
no, I haven't given up up on microfracture.  i am actually hopeful that this works.  the only reason I was concerned about the cells was the fact that I misunderstood something about how long the cells last. So far thinsg are looking good, but I stil have a lot of griniding and popping in the knee.