Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: oxford knee failure  (Read 97729 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: oxford knee failure
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 06:35:03 PM »
Hi Steve

So sorry this is getting you down - no surprise really - anyone would feel the same! I will soon all be over though - and you are getting a rotating platform! I wish I had that - would make a lot of things a lot easier - I reckon I should have done more research and asked for that! - Having said that thie one I have is very good - and compared to pre op  - wow!

thinking of ya - keep yer chin up mate - you can always have a grumble here - I am always around! ;D

anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 04:35:28 AM »
oh boy I can understand the frustration  of being in limbo. .. Not the greatest place to be.    but just think you are getting one of the newest knees out on the market.  Sometimes listening to calming music helps..  .. Lord knows I was a handful of moody before my operation.    Please feel free to vent.. its good therapy too

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2007, 08:13:15 PM »
Steve, I have had a similar experience. Had a tkr, that was never right, very heavy,would not bend, hurt constantly. Exactly a year and a day later, the spacer was replaced, and had already worn down to half the orignal thickness. and the screws of the tibial unit , etc had loosened and backed out and become lodged in the spacer. That knee never got better, (oh yes, had a history of MRSA and took months worth of IV antibiotics, and then oral) was on pain meds for 4 years. Recently had a new knee put in, about three weeks ago. IT is a Zimmer LCCK, revision knee with stems. I have a 3 inch stem in the femoral component, with different size augments, as the previous surgeon had cut the knee at an angle leaving my knee still varus. The tibial compone is 1/3 the size of the one that was in and the stem had to be a longer offset stem in order to stabilize the tibia and is over 4inches long. The surgery took quite  a while to be scheduled as I too had to have the zimmer man there, etc. This knee is supposedly customized, by using different size components in different parts of the knee, rather than a one size component. I am having problems getting it moving, but the surgeon is happy with 80 degrees of flexion at three weeks post op All he says is this is a big big big surgery, much bigger than any you have had before, and will take months andmonths of recovery. I hope you do well, it seems we both have gotten the worse of what could happen. I was originally able to walk fairly well with this knee but now it does not want to bear weight, and I have terrible burning nerve pain down the back of m leg and bottom of my foot, as a result of a misplace sciatic nerve block, that I told THEM I DID NOT WANT< but they did it anyway.   I wanted a better outcome ,but realize that I may have to wait months, and that is ok as long as I get a functioning , relatively painless knee that I can walk and work on. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »
Geesh
And I thought  having a nickel allergy was tough.....what a laugh!!

I hope you are planning a spinal so you will be able to hear what is going on, just to make sure.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline T- Bucket mad

• Forum Faithful
  • Hotrods, loud music
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
hi all / not long now for me to wait till hopefully i get this mess resolved ,
Theresa please enlighten me on this nerve block stuff & will watch out for that aswell , as with the other help ive got from this mecca of info all things knees .i am going in with plenty of ammo this time , i goin in on tuesday the 7th march at 4pm & surgurey next day , the surgeon has booked theatre from 7am till lunchtime , so obvioulsy expects problems , still he has a good team together so should be ok - getting the butterflies starting now -steve
arthroscopy - 2004 .knee nbg
PKR fitted 09/2005
joint plastic spacer fell out 07/ 2006
repair  joint new spacer 09/06
joint bust Again 09/2006
had tkr 03/07 , now new
tkr condemed' replacement dec/07 
smiles tkr joint

Offline T- Bucket mad

• Forum Faithful
  • Hotrods, loud music
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »
Cant take much more of this stress
got a bl$$dy letter this morning Cancelling my surgery !
no reason , no explination nothing , just a we will sort this out ASAP
well done again to east surrey hospital nhs trust
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:12:53 PM by tbucketmad »
PKR fitted 09/2005
joint bust Again 09/2006
had tkr 03/07 , now new
smiles tkr joint

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2007, 01:25:23 AM »
I hear ya!  :-X >:(

Just another pain to add to your list. :P

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  :)

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2007, 03:55:13 AM »
Steve, Sorry the surgery was cancelled, it is such a shame they do this all the time, as if what the patient feels in preparation, and waiting, is not important. Plus they could have at least said when it was rescheduled for. The sciatic block is sometimes done in combo with the femoral block, and another block. IF you get the femoral block, that has a catheter stay in that continuously releases meds for a couple of days that is different. These weredone post op in the recovery room, and the femoral did not work at all and the sciatic (injected in the buttock midway onthe affected side) .I would not let them do this post op.Allit done for me was a foot that could not move postop for severalhours, and then now there is a pain that goes down the back of my leg from my hip, and all the way down the back of my leg and makes my foot numb,and burning. Good luck,any questions, I will gladly answer if I can.Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline T- Bucket mad

• Forum Faithful
  • Hotrods, loud music
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2007, 07:02:11 PM »
hi/ can you believe that it wasnt the hospital or the surgeon it was the technical rep that scuppered my surgery , apparantly even after 5 months at least of notice they could not get the correct kit together to fit the new knee , WHAT A SHAMBLES   >:(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:52:42 PM by tbucketmad »
PKR fitted 09/2005
joint bust Again 09/2006
had tkr 03/07 , now new
smiles tkr joint

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2007, 04:17:34 AM »
I've read a lot about that nerve block on the board.  What it the difference in that and a spinal?

Offline T- Bucket mad

• Forum Faithful
  • Hotrods, loud music
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »
Got new date today of the 19th march , definatly probally maybee for my surgery , not that i am a synic but ?  ???
PKR fitted 09/2005
joint bust Again 09/2006
had tkr 03/07 , now new
smiles tkr joint

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »
Steve - this is crap! Really hope it goes ahead this time. My friend had her surgery cancelled in the anaetetists room - they had the part for the wrong leg!! but didn't tell her this at the time - when she went back to see the os he said he had actually changed his mind as well and decided she is too young :o :o it's all a load of b******s if you ask me - scuse language!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline T- Bucket mad

• Forum Faithful
  • Hotrods, loud music
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2007, 09:59:46 PM »
hi all , anja you had your fair share of ups & downs m8 , trouble is in a stituation like this i am screwd because they hold the ace card , no other surgeon will touch this job which is why i am keeping cool & not ranting at them (yet ) also found out the surgeon has placed a junior trauma doctor to be in recovery room all the time i am there & not to move just incase it all goes belly up with blood clotts & stuff i guess with my history of stroke before they are worried i might croak it ! LOL
Theresa thanks for info i will watch out for somebody trying to stick a needle in my rump and give them the" p%$$ of my m8 theresa said it dont work so f off  ", I had the post op meds via the spine before that was as much good as a chocolate coffe pot as the catherter fell out and all i ended up with was a wet sheet & soggy underpant so will get them to put a bit off duck tape on this time to keep the pipe in !LOL
i get my best medicine here online thanks m8's
regards steve
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:26:25 PM by tbucketmad »
PKR fitted 09/2005
joint bust Again 09/2006
had tkr 03/07 , now new
smiles tkr joint

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2007, 10:14:47 PM »
oh bum! just lost my very long sensible post! so here goes again!

Glad to see you are keeping hold of that sense of humour!! - They are obviously not too worried about ya or you might get someone bigger than a junior quack!

Had a discussion with my hubby - that when my time is up - if it is like anaesthesia - then nothing to worry about! oops sorry.

Don't worry about P ing the bed - they gave me a bed pan post op and I managed to miss/wobble off! - that was my determination to get out of that lovely hosp gown!! Somehow don't think the duck tape would be a pleasant experience :o 

Hey only ten more days!!!!!

Offline T- Bucket mad

• Forum Faithful
  • Hotrods, loud music
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »
Only 3 days to go , starting to get the heebeejeebees now . still never mind Dr Jim Beans patent medicine helps .LOL -Steve
PKR fitted 09/2005
joint bust Again 09/2006
had tkr 03/07 , now new
smiles tkr joint