Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 197692 times)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #795 on: March 10, 2007, 09:22:25 PM »
Anja,
Happy 8 month anniversary!  Today is my 5 month anniversary.

I have my good days & my bad days, but the good are outnumbering the bad.  I can finally say that I am so  glad that I did the surgery.  Today I did a bunch of errands and didn't even need to stop or eliminate any - priceless!
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #796 on: March 10, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
Hey Congratulations Bonnie!! - Isn't it amazing how when you first have it done you think you have mad the biggest mistake of your life!! - They say Time heals!!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #797 on: March 11, 2007, 04:35:24 AM »
Hey Congratulations Bonnie!! - Isn't it amazing how when you first have it done you think you have mad the biggest mistake of your life!! - They say Time heals!!

Gee I though I was the only one that thought I had made the worst mistake in my life and wonder what in the world made me decide to have TKA.  I always say time has a short memory.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #798 on: March 11, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »
Thing is - when you go for a revision or another knee - does the memory come flooding back :P
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #799 on: March 11, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »
Well I would say memory of being so disabled by OA is not easily forgotten.   So If your talking  the "R" word or the "OKJ" with your surgeon  your quality of life must be at a point where your memory's start coming back fast and furious.

Hell!! We all work very very hard to get this mobile. Once you taste the Victory of recouperation.  Your not going to allow yourself to sink ..  Right. ??? So first time around your like what the hell is happening is it worth it??? ..  Second time around I can't help but think " Oh hell no." Comes from your mouth. At least I say that to my OS when he tells me "lefty" is not going to last long and to save my walker.  What for a plant stand?    Because surely he will be seeing me on my crutches sooner than he would see me use that damn walker again.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:25:26 AM by knee deep in Goo »

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #800 on: March 11, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
When you had your revision did the new joint have the"long stems" going deeper into the leg bone or was it the same size as the original?
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #801 on: March 11, 2007, 06:15:44 PM »
 ???
neither Bonnie,Annie or myself have had a revision - we were just speculating :) about the pain and would you go through it again knowing how bad it was first time - but you see Annie - your memory fades - I had already dismissed the OA pain! ;D

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #802 on: March 12, 2007, 12:23:07 AM »
I just keep telling myself that in another 20 yrs when I need a revision, technology will be so advanced that it won't be anything like our first TKR's.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it....
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #803 on: March 12, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »
Good Morning Ladies:  Its nice to know that i am not the only one out there that is not 100% back to normal.  I have another call into the doctor (god, i hate being a pain in the ass) I am on pain meds twice a day, 2 in the am when i first wake up and 2 when i get home from work, they do help and without them i would not be able to do what i have to do.  This cold snap really killed me as i have a burning pain down the quad (from my hip to my knee) with pain to the touch on the outside of the knee.  THe damn hamstring feels like there is an elastic being pulled to the max, and it is as if it need to be cut so that i don't have the pain when i walk. I had partial on the left; total on the right.  The left knee never gave me any problems.  Here i am 9 months out and i have a heating pad on my knee at work.  Any advise?
Ellenmarie

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #804 on: March 12, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »
The taffy pull thing.. Omg you got it too?  I use my yoga belt to stretch out.  Other times I am slapping my lidoderm patches on my leg.  I woke up with OA pain this morning  and I hate that pinching feeling. Nothing seems to take away that pain..

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #805 on: March 12, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »
What is a lidoderm patch, where do i get one and does it help
Ellenmarie

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #806 on: March 12, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »
Your OS or GP can write you an RX for it.   It is pretty expensive.  It is lidocaine on a white patch which numbs nerve endings.     You may have used a lower dose in that sunburn stuff that you spray on ( that is pretty smelly). I am not sure if you even want to grab one of those cans to see if it will help the pain before you go to the expensive patch.

The patches do not have a smell.

I used these patches alot prior to my TKR and post surgery.   My OS had his hip replaced and he uses it during the day.

Here is some cash price quotes from drugstore.com  I have an RX plan that I can get 3 months for $109.00

Lidoderm - Minimum Quantity Dispensed: 1 Box = 30 Patches Patches
Quantity    Our Price
30 ea    $178.49 - save 15% ($30.90)
90 ea    $513.72 - save 18% ($114.46)
120 ea    $684.96 - save 18% ($152.61)

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #807 on: March 12, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »
Wow, that is expensive.  Did it work, is it worth it.  If you put it on the hamstring behind the knee, does it stick
Ellenmarie

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #808 on: March 12, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »
okay girls - think you all know me well enough for me to ask a really stupid question..............

here goes - now does the hamstring run down the back of your knee on the inner side of the leg?

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #809 on: March 12, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
Depends on how much you sweat.  :)   I also used them on the heel/arch area of my foot.  Knee / lower leg  lower back..  any place that makes you moan and groan really.  My GP said it was ok to use when my hip was hurting me from the overcompensation problem of a sever limp.

Preventing the overuse of cortizone shots in my body.  I think I had four last year on various body parts.  For me I like them and if I can get away from having to take pain pills all the better.

The question of is it worth it .. depends on the value you yourself gets from it and how much you are willing to dole out.

Hammy is in the back of the leg.   I pulled it many a time last year on my left leg

support