Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 218318 times)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #690 on: January 20, 2007, 01:57:19 AM »
Hop,
You sure have done a ton of painting!  I'll bet that's just one small part of the big picture...  I'm not much of a blue person either. So then you are nearing the end of all the work and soon get to enjoy your new home?

My knee, actually my quad is definitely getting stronger (finally).  PT has been hard work, but paying off.  I've been trying to enjoy my last days of no work.  I'm a paralegal in a lawfirm, sit at a desk staring at a computer most of the day.  What kind of work do you do?

My older cat, Gracie (14 yrs old) goes to the vet tomorrow to have blood drawn to check if the medication for her thyroid is working - she was diagnosed a month ago with a very hyperactive thyroid, so she eats and eats, but looses weight.

hope Oshe's tests results are good.

Anj, as long as bitchface stays out of your face...

whats a DLA?

great weekend to both of you too!
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #691 on: January 24, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
Hi Bonnie and you lovely lot

Great news about your quad hun, yipeee! Well done you. What's a paralegal? I'm thinking Ali McBeal!

Good luck for Gracie, bless her I do hope they can give her thyroxin or something like they do humans. I'm sure it's treatable. Is she ok in herself? Give her a smooth from me.

Oshe's tests all cam back clear so heavens know's what was making him 'go' so much. he's really settled down now after a week on chicken and rice so we're really pleased.

DLA is disibility living allowance a government benefit paid to the disabled that is given based on level of disibility and not means tested. My doctor believes I will get the medium rate of care which equates to about 46 per week. Who knows though, I'll probably have to be seen by a doctor and most cases get turned down and 50% get approved at the appeal stage!

Anj - Where are you babe?
xx

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #692 on: January 24, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »
Hi Hop,
So glad Oshe's tests came back negative - maybe he was just a bit stressed settling into his new environment  and it was just a matter of time.

Gracie is taking the same type of medicine as humans. Got her blood results and now her thyroid is under, so we have to cut back the medication and recheck her blood in a month.  She is always hungry, but very skinny, she used to run around as if someone or something was chasing her, but that has subsided and she was throwing up daily, which has also subsided, so she is better from the meds.

A paralegal is someone that works under the supervision of a lawyer/barrister (Ali McBeal).  In my case, we work on large corporate matters, so I sort, organize and summarize all the many boxes (around 100) of documents, among other things.  Not very glamorous, very detail oriented, a lot of reading.  And we are always working to beat deadlines with the court, so some days can turn into very long ones.

So is DLA something permanent? like when you can't work or can't work the job you used to before the injury/accident?
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #693 on: January 24, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
Hi Bonnie

Cool job! I can imagine you sat there with glasses perched on the end of your nose looking all studious!

I'm glad Gracie has stopped throwing up, bless her heart. Lets hope the meds become regulated soon and she reaches and even keal.

DLA is a govenment payment to anyone disabled or anyone that has a disability that meets a certain criteria, whether you work or not, live alone or not doesn't come into it. It's there to help with costs of drugs and the normal day to days cost attributed to being disabled. It is permanent if the disibility is permanent.  I work full time running a direct sales department for a water treatment manufacturer. I boss sales people around and organise campaigns, show, events, advertising, it's very varried and I love it!  I'm sat down all day most of the time so that's handy!

Are you at work now?
x

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #694 on: January 24, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »
Hop,
No, I'm at home today. Went to GP, coming down with the flu or something and have PT this afternoon.

Your job sounds very glamorous! I'm jealous!  DLA sounds like a very good thing, we have something like it here except that you must be permanently disabled and can't work - not the same really.

I do wear glasses, but they aren't perched on the tip of my nose cause they're invisible multi-focals! So I get to hide the fact that I can't see near or far!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #695 on: January 24, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
Hey Bonnie

I'm blind as a bat! Tee Hee. If it wern't for ultra thin lenses I'd have jam jars perched on my nose!  ;D

I have dark brown glasses, red or dead ones , quite new so love them!

Fancy coming down with the flu! That was silly!  :-[ Lots of fluids, vitamin c and rest for you young lady! A perfect excuse to cuddle up with your hanimals! I hope it doesn't develop into a horrid virus and that you are feeling better soon. You probably picked it up from someone on your first day at work! Typical!

Hop x

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #696 on: January 24, 2007, 04:58:18 PM »
Hop,
I have those ulta thin lenses too! My glasses are kinda ruby red metal, a little bit funky.

The person I caught this from is my hubby!!!!!! I want to kill him...he's been sick 3 times since December and has refused to go or even call the doctor.  My GP insisted that I have a flu shot this year because of the TKR, so hopefully it will be a mild case of whatever it is.  But how ironic that it started just when I went back to work...

I have one hanimal on my lap, the other on the arm of the recliner - I love it!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #697 on: January 24, 2007, 07:05:22 PM »
Hi Girls!

Glad the kittys are perking up!

Have been at work! and yes Hop I know I owe you an email - will get off my bum and sort it!

U have glasses as well, one pair with blue frames (my favourite) one pair with silver and multi colour sort of frames and a pair of rimless ones for my classy intelligent days! and loads of contact lenses - can't read a thing without them so they are all varifocals. Damn expensive this glasses lark - I have had a new prescription every year - but the optician says that arthritis affects your eyes and he said the deterioration should slow down now - hope so!

gotta go - in the middle of doing dinner!  back later
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #698 on: January 24, 2007, 09:02:22 PM »
Hi everyone!

Bonnie, sorry you got sick! What a bummer....just getting well enough to go to work and then getting sick. Must be a sign! I know, it means you need to stay home longer eating bon bons and watching the soaps!

I also wear the dreaded reading glasses, ususally perched down my nose because otherwise everything is a blur when I look up. I hate them! It's just a sign that I'm getting old. My best friend turns 50 today, and I'm not far behind. But at least I'm starting my second half century with a new knee!

I've decided my first day back at work will be February 13. I'll try going in for an afternoon and see how it goes. I worry that I'll get engrossed and stay seated too long, then someone will have to call the paramedics to pry me out of the chair! I work at a large church and have a lot of varied responsibilities. We have about 40 people on staff, so that shows the size of the congregation. I'm the "executive administrative assistant" (I hate that title!) I spend most of my time on the computer doing a lot of publication work. I do a lot of typing and proofreading. But I'm also the office manager for the main office. And I handle all the details for the weddings, baptisms, funerals. Plus anything else that comes up! One of my receptionists is out, too, just having had rotator cuff surgery. So they have had to find replacements for her, too. They are looking forward to me coming back. Right now, there are three people who are filling in for me, adding the things I'm directly responsible for to their jobs. I owe a lot of people! But they have all been great, insisting I have the surgery and caring about how I'm recovering. I guess it pays to work for a church!

We don't have any pets at the moment. Our lovely dog, Jasmine, died last spring. She was an English Springer Spaniel and was about 12 years old. Had some kind of disease, but after many, many tests and lots of money, it was still unclear what was making her sick. So we just watched and treated things as they came up. But she finally got so sick we had to put her to sleep. No fun. And while I miss having a dog, it's not practical now. Maybe when I'm old and retired I'll get one of those little dogs that I can carry around in my purse!

Hope everyone's having a good day. It's been snowing here all day. Quite lovely, since I don't have to go out in it!

Janet

Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #699 on: January 25, 2007, 03:06:15 PM »
Hello girls

I tried to put a picture of Oshe on as my amin pic and it didn't work!

Hope thsi works!

Janet - You can't go back to work on the 13th!!! lol Can't you make it the 14th, it might be unlucky! I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy dog, (I call all cute dogs pups!) Springers are gorgeous. We lost my auntie and her springer last summer, Katie missed my aunt so much she went down hill. Mum was their carer, aunt and the pup. They are such intellegent and loyal creatures. If you get a purse dog I'm going to start calling you Paris! Tee Hee! I know what you mean about the practicalities though,when he's hungry Oshe gets under my feet and I'm almost come a cropper a few time! Oops!

How's young Bonnie today? How's that bunged up trink of yours? I do hope you are feleing a little better today.
Hi Annie - Not spoken to you in a while, how's you doing?

Hey Anj, you alright me darlin'?

Happy Days and hugs
Hop x

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #700 on: January 25, 2007, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi hop

yeah fine - you? sorry I still haven't done email - every time I get online my lovely daughter comes on for a chat so difficult to concentrate - she is bored as all her flatmates have gone home for weekend already!

Cool kitty pic - very cute!

Janet I agree with hop - don't go on the 13th!

we got SNOW !!!
ANJ
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #701 on: January 26, 2007, 12:55:45 AM »
Hi girls!

Yeah glasses, been wearing them since I'm 14. 

Hop,
Oshe is a dor a ble!!!!!!!  What's a trink and I'll tell you how its doing?

Janet, my birthday is the 13th and some years it even happens on a Friday and its always great - don't sweat it.  Some people are verrrry superstitious.   ;)

Today, Sophia, my American Cocker Spaniel had her teeth cleaned.  she's just fine, but it was a huge day for me. Work, then PT, then picked up Sophia - I'm beat.

Take care all.

Anja, how much snow?
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #702 on: January 26, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »
Morning Schmorning

Tee Hee, a trink is a spelling error! I meant to say trunk? Oops!

How is everyone today?? It's minus a half here today! BUT NO SNOW!

I WANT SNOW

Hop  ;D

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #703 on: January 26, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
Hi Hop and everyone else,
Doing ok.  I'm actually at work for a bit today, I know I said I would take it slow, but I figured I would have the weekend to rest.

Wishing you snow if that's what you desire.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
bonnie
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #704 on: January 26, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Hi

oh Hop - you could've had our snow! actually it was only about 2 inches - not worth having - it was worse today as it defrosed a bit last night then froze to sheet ice - like a skating rink outside my house. All defrosted now - just a snowman left on a neighbours front lawn!

Hey Bonnie - you take it easy - don't go overdoing it. Now rest for the weekend.

We are hopefully going to replace our fence panel tomorrow - if it turns up!

I have the weekend off! yippeee.

support