Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 200670 times)

knee deep in Goo

Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #420 on: October 26, 2006, 12:15:44 AM »
Have you tried Aqua or Pool therapy?  There are many excercises that can help you strenghten your calf in the water.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #421 on: October 26, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »
sounds like this hamstring needs some stretching and strengthening
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #422 on: October 27, 2006, 12:48:44 AM »
Thank you so much for replying.  I have never heard of the aqua therapy but will look into it.  I have had the hamstring stretched.  Did the whole pt thing.  When i first get up in the morning it is not too bad, but as soon as i do the stairs, omg, i literally can feel it ripping, swear to god.  If i did rip/tear or strain it i wonder if not bending would help but then what would happen to the knee replacement.  I am soo frustrated.  thanks again for replying it's nice to know that there are people out there willing to listen and answer.  My friends just dont know what to say as they havent had a replacement.
Please write again
Ellenmarie
sounds like this hamstring needs some stretching and strengthening

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #423 on: October 27, 2006, 08:03:15 PM »
Hi There

Unfortunately unless you have suffered chronic pain it is very difficult to sumpathise with othere - and also once you no longer are suffering from that pain it is very quickly forgotten! - Prob 95 % of the time I have no pain now but about once a day my knee gives me a sharp reminder - and for some reason it is always at night grrrr.

I have only been swimming once since I had my knee done - which I know is really bad - I used to swim every week - but when I went post tkr my Knee HURT so much where being supported by the water I found that I was able to bent it too far and I don't want to risk pushing it too far and causing damage - once the muscles are in total control I expect I will go again - lost my nerve a bit there!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
You are so correct and to the point that no one knows what you are going through unless they have gone through it themselves
i did try swimming when i was one month out, then my incision became infected and i was in the hospital on iv antibiotics.  How is your knee knee, did you have anything done to the other one.  Its so nice to "talk" to someone..Will you tell me a little about yourself, where you live, you age and such.  Would like to compare notes. 

Ellenmarie

Hi There

Unfortunately unless you have suffered chronic pain it is very difficult to sumpathise with othere - and also once you no longer are suffering from that pain it is very quickly forgotten! - Prob 95 % of the time I have no pain now but about once a day my knee gives me a sharp reminder - and for some reason it is always at night grrrr.

I have only been swimming once since I had my knee done - which I know is really bad - I used to swim every week - but when I went post tkr my Knee HURT so much where being supported by the water I found that I was able to bent it too far and I don't want to risk pushing it too far and causing damage - once the muscles are in total control I expect I will go again - lost my nerve a bit there!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #425 on: October 29, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »
Hi Ellenmarie
I am female , 44 and like in kent in the UK. I have an 18 yr old daughter who is at university and a 16 yr old son who is taking his A levels and is mad about rugby - he has just gone back to rugby after having his ruptured acl repaired last year.

I am married and work full time.

I initially injured my knee when I was 18 (gymnastics accident) had ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed - acl not repaired.
Over the years the  OA gradually got worse which lead to tkr in july this year - best thing I ever did. My other knee is quite good - aches and pains for compensating for so long - but hopefully will recover soon.

how about you?

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2006, 09:09:42 PM »
Hello Anja:
Well, we have a lot incommon.  I am 46 with 4 boys ages 21, 19, 17 and 14, including husband 5 men  I work in a law firm 5 men attorneys so i get no sympathy whatsoever.  I was born with bad knees.  One morning woke up and knee was the size of a cantalope.  that is how it all started.  two years ago april i had partial knee, 2 cartiledge tubes put in (because i am bone on bone).  Went in the OR in June of this year for same thing, but had 4 holes in kneecap so they ended up doing tkr.  Everything is fine except the damn hamstring.  Tried to go shopping for underwear and ended up limping at the end.  Every step i take i feel it ripping.  I need to call the OS tomorrow.  But, my receptionist quit, so i have cannot take any time off.  I pick up my kids from school, so i cant go after work.  I know i will have to work out something.

Hi Ellenmarie
I am female , 44 and like in kent in the UK. I have an 18 yr old daughter who is at university and a 16 yr old son who is taking his A levels and is mad about rugby - he has just gone back to rugby after having his ruptured acl repaired last year.

I initially injured my knee when I was 18 (gymnastics accident) had ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed - acl not repaired.
Over the years the  OA gradually got worse which lead to tkr in july this year - best thing I ever did. My other knee is quite good - aches and pains for compensating for so long - but hopefully will recover soon.

how about you?

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #427 on: November 04, 2006, 12:23:03 AM »
I haven't heard from you in ahile.  I hope everything is okay.  I called my OS and told them i was having terrible time with hamstring and they just sent me pain killer prescription in the mail.  My husband wants me to call GP on Monday, to see what can be done.  Here is i sit on a friday nite in bed with a hearing pad

Ellenmarie

Hi Ellenmarie

how about you?

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #428 on: November 04, 2006, 03:36:16 AM »
HI E

So sorry you hurt again?   Do you have crutches ? I pulled my left leg hamstring last week and the crutches really did help.  The GP wont be able to do much except maybe give you pain pills or sleeping meds.  Ice may help. 

Today,  I felt like I was dragging my ass into work. I did so much walking today.. 

Take care,
Annie

33 more sleeps till my TKR

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #429 on: November 04, 2006, 01:44:52 PM »
Hey Annie:

I do have crutches but havent used them.  there has to be something that someone can do for the pain.  I am really starting to feel sorry for myself, i.e. went to bed at 6 pm last nite.  I have alot to do today laundry and stuff which is going up and down the stair,i cant not do it i should b able to do it.  I never realized that after tkr all this could happen.  I see your having yours done soon.  Are you going home after the hospital, do you have help. do you have everything on one floor or will you need to go to the second floor.  I came home,and did the stairs twice a day down and up in the morning and then at night (so that i could eat with the family).  Please write soom
Ellenmarie

HI E

So sorry you hurt again?   Do you have crutches ? I pulled my left leg hamstring last week and the crutches really did help.  The GP wont be able to do much except maybe give you pain pills or sleeping meds.  Ice may help. 

Today,  I felt like I was dragging my ass into work. I did so much walking today.. 

Take care,
Annie

33 more sleeps till my TKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #430 on: November 04, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
HI Ellen

Currently I am back with the family.  Good Old mom and dad.  I would be struggling too much to be on my own and frankly not having to worry about rent right now is a blessing.  Just the car payment and well bills. I will be working up until the day of my TKR.  I expect to be in the  St Joseph's trauma center -paterson nj  for three days and than transported to Kessler rehab in NJ  or maybe St Joseph's wayne general in nj (10-14)days.  This way I have inpatient rehab and have pain management and well really to be in the best setting to be agresssive with getting my range of motion back.

As far as pain,  I never had any problems with my OS giving me Percocet.  Or in a pinch he had called in Vicodin or loracet.  ..  Also in the past he has prescribed ambiem.  I feel he is a gift from God at times. When I see how other OS's are.

The house here is two story.   I am very experienced with Crutches. I had drilling into my femur early this year. .  I remember those days when getting to the first floor was a treat.   Actually I had all my TV shows in my room and came down at night to be with family.   or  Out the door to Aqua therapy.   

I was wondering if you are putting ice on that knee ?  or have a kyro cuff with compression ?   Ice takes away pain better than drugs most of the time for me .. Well currently with out  a TKR.  How many weeks post TKR are you ?

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #431 on: November 04, 2006, 03:31:31 PM »
I had tkr in june of this year.  I came home as my 14 yr. old son was home from school (to young to work to old for camp).  From what i read on most of the sites, heat is good so i keep a heating pad on it as much as possible.  the only thing i didnt like about tkr is coming off the morphine drip and onto pain medicine by mouth.  I didnt do very well with that.  I live in Massachusetts, i have 4 boys ages 21, 19. 17 and 14.  (yes the only girl) i work full time in  a law firm with all male attorneys so looking for some female people to talk about this is quite good.  I think my husband is done listening to me complain.  I just cant believe that after tkr this hamstring is so much trouble.
Ellenmarie
HI Ellen

Currently I am back with the family.  Good Old mom and dad.  I would be struggling too much to be on my own and frankly not having to worry about rent right now is a blessing.  Just the car payment and well bills. I will be working up until the day of my TKR.  I expect to be in the  St Joseph's trauma center -paterson nj  for three days and than transported to Kessler rehab in NJ  or maybe St Joseph's wayne general in nj (10-14)days.  This way I have inpatient rehab and have pain management and well really to be in the best setting to be agresssive with getting my range of motion back.

As far as pain,  I never had any problems with my OS giving me Percocet.  Or in a pinch he had called in Vicodin or loracet.  ..  Also in the past he has prescribed ambiem.  I feel he is a gift from God at times. When I see how other OS's are.

The house here is two story.   I am very experienced with Crutches. I had drilling into my femur early this year. .  I remember those days when getting to the first floor was a treat.   Actually I had all my TV shows in my room and came down at night to be with family.   or  Out the door to Aqua therapy.   

I was wondering if you are putting ice on that knee ?  or have a kyro cuff with compression ?   Ice takes away pain better than drugs most of the time for me .. Well currently with out  a TKR.  How many weeks post TKR are you ?

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #432 on: November 04, 2006, 09:54:43 PM »
Hi
Sorry not about too much just what with working full time and family/house stuff - time just gets eaten up so quickly.

Pain is such a PITA - it does get you down but you will come back up again.

I have not had a tramadol since last sunday but still having some withdrawals - didn't think it would affect me this long - having to have paracetamol and voltorol since coming off the stronger stuff - it was obviously still doing good pain relief - but I will only take the tramadol when it is unbearable.

Went christmas shopping today - that was really hard work - got to the shops at 9.30 and got back home at 6!!!! - half way through the day I went and bought some trainers as my feet and knee were killing me in my boots! - otherwise I would have had to go home - we had about 4 coffee stops as well, but got so much done and it is all wrapped as well - just five more presents to buy for relatives then can start on my two children and husband!

Got leg elevated now and large glass of wine - and a huge Toblerone ;D - ate 3 pieces and have had enough of that.
Going to get more presents and collect dry cleaning tomorrow then off to my nieces first birthday ;D

Hope you have a good weekend.
gonna have an early night! - talking of which - Ellenmarie - nothing wrong with going to bed at six - I would love that - I find that when I am in pain the best thing I can do is sleep (that is when I can get to sleep with pain - sometimes hard to do)

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #433 on: November 05, 2006, 01:52:05 AM »
thanks for the words of encouragement.  will post when i hear from doctor
Ellenmarie
Hi
Sorry not about too much just what with working full time and family/house stuff - time just gets eaten up so quickly.

Pain is such a PITA - it does get you down but you will come back up again.

I have not had a tramadol since last sunday but still having some withdrawals - didn't think it would affect me this long - having to have paracetamol and voltorol since coming off the stronger stuff - it was obviously still doing good pain relief - but I will only take the tramadol when it is unbearable.

Went christmas shopping today - that was really hard work - got to the shops at 9.30 and got back home at 6!!!! - half way through the day I went and bought some trainers as my feet and knee were killing me in my boots! - otherwise I would have had to go home - we had about 4 coffee stops as well, but got so much done and it is all wrapped as well - just five more presents to buy for relatives then can start on my two children and husband!

Got leg elevated now and large glass of wine - and a huge Toblerone ;D - ate 3 pieces and have had enough of that.
Going to get more presents and collect dry cleaning tomorrow then off to my nieces first birthday ;D

Hope you have a good weekend.
gonna have an early night! - talking of which - Ellenmarie - nothing wrong with going to bed at six - I would love that - I find that when I am in pain the best thing I can do is sleep (that is when I can get to sleep with pain - sometimes hard to do)

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #434 on: November 06, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »
Hi Anja

Was missing you so thought I'd hop on and say hello. I have lost my superkneegeek status!  :'( Serves me right for not being about eh! Have had a bit of a look about trying to find the usual suspects but can't find anyone.

I too am organised like you and made a good start to Christmas shopping although have mostly been buying stuff for the house, very exciting! Rather skint now. All we seem to do at the moment is decorate! Have just had a new loo and sink put in the downstairs wc as the one that was there was a rather nasty browny/green colour, eugh!

The best news is that I have now officially lost a stone! Yipeee! It's definately easier on my knee, having stairs in the house has helped too. Like yours mine still grumbles, especially if I'm tired or it's cold. Can't believe you managed a whole day shopping, that's an absolute result. Well done you.

Look forward to a good old natter.

Big fat hugs
Hop x

support