Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 187906 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« on: July 15, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »
OK here goes - the promised diary.

Sun 9th July

Left home about 2.45 pm to head out for hosp.

Returned home to collect hospital bag ;D that hubbie had left in kitchen in his rush to get me out of the house - duh - luckily I noticed not too far away!

Admitted to hospital at 4pm - in prep for TKR on Monday 10th.

Th ward consisted of 4 bays - with 6 beds in each, It was soooo dull and gloomy and depressing. The bay that I was in - well don't think there was anyone under 80 and would have made a great olympic snoring team!
Hubbie and daughter left me about 6pm - floods of tears - well I hadn't had my KFC - just couldn't stomach it so had to endure my first hosp meal - plastic turkey salad! - no knife!

Well no stars in that hotel! oops hosp.
Watched the footie cup final with the wrinklies on the smallest telly in the world - then decided that I might as well get to sleep before the snoring started.
11pm - woken up to see if I would like some pain relief - aaaargh like I would have been sleeping if I needed that!

Ear Plugs came out then and slept until 4 am when they woke me for a cup of tea! - pity they forgot the tea - just milk and water!

Day 1
Mon 10th july - new knee day!

got showered and had hte usual round of OS, anaestatist and doctors
Told surgery would be at 1pm - OMG such a long time to wait - no food/drink/fags - had premed so went back to sleep about 10 am.
Woken at 11.30 by porters! aaargh - my turn - OS decided to do me before lunch!
Mad rush to have a pee and get into my gown - sooo sexy! - no knickers as was going to have catheter! yuck

Taken to anaestetists room where nurse tried putting canular in left hand - oops no veins - so tried right hand - no way - so OS came and got a liitle one in and promised they would do the other one when I was sedated so no more pain - bless him.

Then came the nerve block - this was so scary - have never had this done before - quite painful where they put the needles in the top of my leg and got all the nerves shaking - uncontrollably - anaestetist then gave me a "gin and tonic" in my right hand to calm my legs down - both going by now.

Then I woke in the recovery room!!! Ha! got my new knee - oh sh*t I was in agaony - so very quick shot of morphine given - much better - from the recovery room I could see the cars queuing to get into the car park - saw hubbie in my car - waved like an idiot - begging for a bed pan before I wet myself - NO CATHETER - Yippeee.
3pm ish
Woke up again back on ward with hubbie and umpteen nurses around checking usual stuff - finally got bed pan - tipped most of it in bed - thank god for the nerve block and morphine so I could have a painless bed change! oops
Apparntly chatted with hubbie until about 7pm -! I was very happy and wide awake - don't actually remember too much - had loads of cards which I had to read again the next day - and helium balloons above my bed - and a huge bouquet from hubbie! ;D
4 drain bottles full. leg felt like concrete and had tose lovely ted socks and foot pumps!
9,30 - got on commode by myself negotiating foot pumps and drains - and put knickers on ;D  did some leg bends and straight leg raises - all I could think of was not getting scar tissue!
The woman in the bed next to me was on her bloody nebuliser - sooo noisy - and then asked if she could have one of my fags - no way - never!
Did NOT sleep well - they had given me co-codomol which made me so dizzy and kept thinking I was being thrown off the bed - ended up very distressed- every time I shut my eyes I just went weired.
very low BP
blood thinner jab and iv antibiotics
Day 2

very low BP
IV antibiotics and diclofenac given - no other pain relief due to bad effect night before - so was waiting for new prescription -- aaargh 8.30 am - nerve block came off in the space of about 10 minutes - kept ringing buzzer along with the rest of the patients - OMG I thought I was going to die - I was in sooo much pain - knocked out with morphine jab for about 10 minutes - came back round still in pain - the pain management team were there so quickly - about 30 mins - given tramadol and oramorph , diclofanac and paracetamol- it took till about 1pm and I was finally comfortable.

Thinking now that I don't know how I am gonna cope with this pain - but getting better.

1.30 - Xray - all fine
2pm - physio came - did a few exercises and sat in chair - painful

spent rest of day in and out of sleep - used zimmer frame to go to loo
had hubbie and daughter visit - don't really remember much
8.30- asked for extra pain relief - finally got it at 10.30 - really not impressed - so bad was back on morphine.

sorry - soo tired cna't do any more now - will continue tomorrow - night night

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:53:16 AM by anja »
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
Re: TKR - Mon 10th July 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
Here's a toast to you Anja with a glass of wine.   ;D

You will get through the pain - at least the morphine worked for you.  It would really suck having to be in a room with so many people.  The one time I have stayed in the hospital I was on the floor with the geriatrics who stayed up all night calling for the nurses. 

I hope you start to feel better soon!!!
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 11:14:18 PM »
Anja,

Sorry to hear that you've had to go through such a hard time with the pain meds.  Wow, that's awful don't understand why they can regulate your meds.  Grrrrrrrr!! 

Glad you've gotten through the surgery, hope things get settled and you manage to get some good rest soon. 

Thinking of you.  ~Shade

July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:34:06 AM »
Thanks shade and sharon ;D

now for the next installment - perhaps shouldn't have written so many notes - especially as half are illegible! ;D

DAY 3  WED

woke up hungry at 6am! - had porridge made with water - OMG I am sure prison food would be better!

Had pain killers - much better today, did exercises - suprised at how easy they are at the moment.

8.30 Registrar came to see me - OS is going around grinning like a cheshire cat apparently as he is so pleased with my mobility and the way the op went.

the nurses had been commenting on the extra two small incisions at the top and bottom of my main scar - 22 stapes for main scar and then 4 extra smaller staples. - Well - now I am well pleased with this as OS said he could not do it when I saw him in January - but he did the TKR by computer - new toys - I was his first to be done on it - he had been to America quite a bit doing training - and the week my op should have been he was in London doing more! so very pleased about this ;D

The registrar also said that I had had nerve block and heavy sedation - but did not know why they had gone on to do full general anastesia.
Blood tests today
BP still too low - dunno why - feel fine - slight light headedness
Had SHOWER !!! so nice

physio - 90 deg flex   -5 ext.

LOTS of exercises today - on a high.

leg VERY swollen and bruised - not as much bruising as I expected which is good.

leg very hot and inflamed - put back on IV antibiotics.

Sh*t nights sleep - how can 5 old ladies make so much bloody noise - grunt,snore,cough - thank god for earplugs !

DAY 4 thurs 13 july

Pain under control - give or take a few just about bearable moments! - loads of exercise - the other ladies who had their knee replacements a WEEK before me are still not doing their exercises - what is the matter with them - they say how well I am doing and am fetching an carrying for them but they just lie there - idiots - perhaps they don't wanna go home! - they obviously don't appreciate what has been done for them - very sad - you can see the doctors and nurses getting cross with their poor attitude. - There is a diabetic on the ward who won't eat the hospital food - she chucks it in a bad so the nurses don't see and then buys chocolate from the trolley - they cant understand why her blood sugars are so high - So I told them! felt it was my duty - don't want her killing herself.

leg still very swollen - saw registrar again - 10 days oral antibiotics now - said the rate I was going that I would most likely be able to drive at 3 - 4 weeks - WOW !
and I can go home on Friday evening after 6pm meds!!

Day 5 Friday 14th
wahey! another cr*p night - oh so looking forward to my own bed! only have to stay till 6 pm when hubbie collects me
did my physio - walking round on ONE stick in the ward - 2 sticks to go further. showered, drugs and brekkie, went for long walk - about quarter of a mile!
shattered - went back to bed at 11 am - OMG woken up at 12 - why? - have to vacate the bed! :o  Someone in theatre needs a bed - so half asleep I say I dont have my holdall - hubbie had taken it home - so they produce carrier bags - OMG this is happening too fast - I am so tired, emotional and end up in tears - feel stupid - I want to go home - but I had my day planned and they now want me to sit in the day room with my bags until 6 - so upset.
So I got my stuff in the bags - got my sticks and went outside and sat in the sun and chatted to a couple of lovely patients - they couldn't believe what was happening - me neither - so rang hubbie and he left off work straight away and collected me at 5 - had drugs and went!
Loads of nurses came outside to see me - they were all gobsmacked at how I was treated - they were really nice - which didn't help stop me crying - they said that I was the only happy patient on that ward with some life in me.
So hubbie drove me home - about half way couldn't stand the bumps anymore and ended up sobbing again It was soo painful. But eventually home!

Day 6 Sat 15 july

had a bad night - my knee when I am in a deep sleep jerks - so violently it makes me scream in pain - I don't know how to stop it - it had done it when I fell asleep in the evening before - but just thought it was a one off.
Went shopping and walked for 2 hrs, did physio - really good day - pain under control - tramadol, paracetamol, diclofenac and my anti biotics.
Went to a party in the evening for about an hour - it was outside and got too cold so came home and started this thread.

Bed at 11
1 am woke with the biggest ever jolt through my knee - like someone had hit me with a sledge hammer - was inconsolable for about an hour - SCARED - don't know what is causing it - felt in so much pain had instant vomiting and  'the shiits' - my bodies way of dealing with pain - please help if you know what this is. - I am so afraid to go to sleep - I know it sounds pathetic as the rest of the time I am doing great - but fear of sleep and knowing how painful it is - got to be a 20 !! will post a thread in em.resus.

got up at 5 for meds - been setting the alarm. so know just chilling and on here! ;D

hope you all have a great day

TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »
Anja,

Welcome Back . So sorry to hear you are in so much pain. - Been thinking about you

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »
Anya,

So glad you are home. I hope they get the pain controlled for you. Sounds like you are doing well otherwise.

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »
Hi, thank you - it's nice being home.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/anjharris/

some lovely pics for you!
anj
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 02:41:50 PM by anja »

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 03:14:51 PM »
Anya,

Thaks for the pics. You have a good day.

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 07:12:35 PM »
Great pics Anja!!! Enjoyed reading your post and hope you get better soon. Sorry about the pain and hope you figure out about the jolts and whats causeing them ;D!!!
               ~Chelsea~
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:59:28 PM »
Thank you for doing the photos.  It really looks like he stiched you up nicely.   I hope you heal fast and have no complications.  Your flowers are pretty.

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »
Hey Anj

You went to a party! OMG you're doing sooo well. You go girl! Now these body jolts, I had them too, don't worry, have sent you an IM.

Congratulations on your new knee. So glad you're back have missed our daily chats.

Keep posting.

Big fat hugs
Hop ;D

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 08:33:22 PM »
Hi Hop ;D missed ya - hubbie enjoyed your company though ;D

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 09:01:42 AM »
Day 6 sunday 16th july

Had calmer day today.

went out for drive with hubbie in the morning (usual marine fish supplies) and slept nearly all afternoon - with hubbie watching the knee jerks - he woke me as they were getting stronger so I didn't get the big one!

Only did one set of exercises which I am not pleased about but my knee cap hurts too much to do leg raises and it is very swollen - ticht as a drum. lots of ice.

went to bed with ice and then hubbie got two more lots through the night and doubled pain meds so jerks didn't reduce me to tears this time - not too much sleep but a lot less pain. knee still swollen.

will ring physio to see if someone will come out this week to help me - got no transport this week as hubbie has to work - so can't get there - I work with most of my friends so they are all working as well and as we are short with me not at work can't really ask one of them to help - hubbie will be off next two weeks though.
Going to doctors tonight  (mon) to try to sort pain meds - sadly my GP is not there - very inconsiderate ;D

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »
Hi Anj - glad you're home! 

First of all, I apologise that I've not responded earlier, ended up with a bit of a migraine over the weekend so no computers for me! 

I am truly sorry that you are having so much pain.  If it's any consolation, further down the line, your brain will block the memory of this pain out.  I know my knee hurt, but I really can't remember that particular pain now. 

As for those leg twitches/jolts, remember I told you about those "physio sessions" I used to have in my sleep - leg spasms.  I don't know why this happens but it is normal (I had it after my very first knee op too).  In the end I actually found it helped in getting my extension back.  But boy does it hurt! 

At least you're home and away from the snoring and disruption.  I can't believe what the hospital did to you though. 

You take things steady.  Trust you to manage a party! 

Ellie
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

Hop skip n jump

Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »
Hey Anj

Have just sent you an IM, about going to the doctors, I wouldn't bother going! I usually just call and speak to a doctor and they write me a perscription! Just a thought hun.

Bet you're really missing the snoring tortioses! Tee Hee! Oo one thing I found that really helped me with ROM and to stop scar tissue etc, if you can tolerate it get some vitamin E cream (not on the incision site yet) and massage around your knee and thigh, it feels good and keep everything moving. It may also help with the jolts!

;)

Ellie
Sorry to hear you've had a migraine, that rubbish! Sending you a hug too.  ;)

Hoppy Hop ;D