Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 218363 times)

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #825 on: March 15, 2007, 01:37:28 AM »
OS talk for : Watch it     means stop bellying aching right now prob something temp.. .   Lets see how long you can tolerate it with out complaining again.. Keep excercising.. blah blah.. blah blah..  Than finally after three months..  they shoot you up with some cortizone.. maybe..  :) 

OOOOOh  I don't know..."Watching it" has always meant, let's not look into the future, you won't like what the solution is. BUT in the meantime let's just check and do an MRI and just do what we can...PT and how about SYNVIC and if that doesn't work.  etc  When we finally get around to Art/Deb, it is always worse than they expected.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #826 on: March 24, 2007, 08:28:35 PM »
hmm uk idea of watching it is to just let you get on with it until you moan enough at your GP and about 10 months later get an appt.

Talking of which - my son still has not heard from the hospital, so we went back to the GP yesterday as he also got a dead leg last sunday and has tingling in his foot from it - so she did all the usual checks and said it is either bruising or nerve damage and to mention it when we go and see the os :o - so told her we hadn't heard from them and she said to email his secretary direct - so will see what reply I get on Monday!

and so what is my son doing tomorrow? Rugby training! I think he is up for another trip to casualty just to do a bit of queue jumping! seems to be the easiest route to the OS office!

Have a good weelend !

Hey these knees dont like the cold and damp do they  :o ::)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #827 on: March 25, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »
That suks that your son still hasnt gotten an appt with the OS, maybe you will have luck on monday.

It rained here yesterday and my knee was all achy, but it was almost 80 degrees!  Just can't imagine how you must be feeling with it cold and damp...

Sunshine and warmth to you...
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #828 on: March 25, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
Good afternoon ladies:  I was curious from everyone having the tkr, do you ever have problems with the feeling that you have alot of fluid in your legs.  I swear if it is not one thing its another with me.  I woke up this morning with both legs aching and the feeling like there was fluid in both.  I have them elevated, a took a water pill and a pain killer.  Will call the OS in the a.m.  Any suggestions while i wait

Ellenmarie

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #829 on: March 25, 2007, 10:25:53 PM »
 Hi Ellenmarie

I would say there is extra fluid - but dont know why - my socks are leaving a mark around my legs - and they are not even tight! and my left calf is so much bigger than the right(tkr leg) but when I crouch down and get back up the calf muscle BURNS.

I actually caught myself running up the stairs yesterday - just like a 'normal' person ;D

LOL Bonnie - I forgot about where you live! - the best part of the day is when I sit down in the evening - legs elevated and warm laptop across the tops of my legs! Lovely!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #830 on: March 26, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
Thanks for answering me Anja.  What do you do to help with the extra fluid, i tried water pills (over the counter) and kept it up on pillows most of yesterday, but need to work today.

Ellenmarie

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #831 on: March 26, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
Hi Ellenmarie

what sort of work do you do? - I find that walking about helps to relieve the fluid - I have to stand for a lot of time at work and when my legs ache I walk - at lunchtime at work I always put my legs up - even at 8 months, and when I sit at home (part from at the dining table) I always have my legs elevated, and tend to sit there doing SLR's and quad strengthening exercises.

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #832 on: March 26, 2007, 09:08:50 PM »
Hey Anja: I am a legal secretary so i sit on my rump all day long.  I do keep that leg elevated under my desk.  I am the only secretary to 5 attorneys so i do not get up and walk around at all (havent taken a lunch break in awhile as it has been busy).  I keep it up on two pillows at night.
Ellenmarie

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #833 on: March 26, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »
so if you leg is up on two pillows is this with you leg bent over them or are they under your calf leaving your leg straight?

I reckon, and its only my opinion but I think you need to insist that at work you can have a ten minute walk in the morning and afternoon and also do take a lunch break and have another leg stretch then.

That must be uncomfortable to keep your leg elevated uder the desk.

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #834 on: March 26, 2007, 10:49:36 PM »
Two pillows long ways so its under my hamstring and calf.  I would love to take a break, but the receptionist quit so i am all alone.  I am fortunate at i work mothers hours 9-3 so that i can pick up my boys from school (they go to school 1/2 from where i work.  I called the OS and cannot get in to see him until July, a left a message for the nurse (who is really great) to see if i can get a stronger anti-inflammatroy.  How is your son?
Ellenmarie

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #835 on: March 27, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »
Ellenmarie

where do you live - that is a crazy wait!  wow wish I did your hours.

My GP surgery rang today with an OS appointment for my son on 4/4 - so not long now!

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #836 on: March 27, 2007, 08:44:30 PM »
i live in Boston, Massachusetts...still waiting for the nurse to call me back to see about the anti-inflammatory.  Unfortunately this surgeon is top notch so there is a long wait.  My hours are indeed good but i bust butt 9-3 then go home to  4 boys (well, 3 as one is in college) and start the 'mom' job, what about you
Ellenmarie

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #837 on: March 27, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »
Went to OS yesterday.  Going to start viscosupplements for five weeks on my left knee.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #838 on: March 28, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »
Hi Annie - so what will these suplements do for your knee?

Ellenmarie - I work about 48 hrs a week , I leave at 7.45 am and drop my son at school, then start work at 8, and finish at 6pm so quite a long day and all of it standing apart from lunch!  Then back home and do the housewifely chores, cook dinner and finally sit down at about 8.30. I have two teenagers - one at university and the other ar college.

That is still a crazy time to have to wait to see an OS - we dont even wait that long on the NHS!!

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #839 on: March 29, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »
Wow i thought my day way hectic, but you win.  I still have not heard back from the OS office.  The pain today is incredible.  I really wish i never had the tkr, and just had pkr like i did to my left left 2 years ago.  I never had any problems with it.  This total however is horrible.  I just dont know what to do.
Ellenmarie