Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 197559 times)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
Anja,
Great idea to take a notepad, don't think hospital has internet access, don't know if rehab does either so I may be on my own for a few weeks...hope not.
If you give me your email address I will have hubbby or sister send you an email, because I sure didn't even think of it  - thanks.
I will try to post again later, off to work to finish up, tehn supermarket, pharmacy and to see my godchildren.   That ought to exhaust me and maybe I will fall asleep before 3am (with sleep meds) like last few nights!
Regards to Ellie for me, maybe she has some pointers for rehab????
thanks so much for your support
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #406 on: October 08, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »
Hi Bonnie

Will PM you with my email.

Have just had an email from Ellie and she wants me to make sure that I pass on her best wishes - so there done it!!

It is really good that you are nearly there now - it is awful having to wait.

Hope you get some good sleep the next coule of nights - you certainly should the first few nights post op - remember those earplugs just in case.

I am sure I will hear from you again before Tuesday - but good luck anyway - can't wait to see you the other side with you lovely shiny new knee!!

big hugs
anja

ps - you'll do great!! - and if you're slacking you'll have me come to visit - well only if it is warm where you are!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline redneb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #407 on: October 11, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »
I've been reading all your posts re TKR and wanted to join in....I got my new knee on Sept 8, 2006 and so far so good...I'm 52, have had knee problems for a long time and finally the doctor dragged me to the hospital to have the TKR...I am SO glad I did it...no more of the crunchy/grinding pain...no more knee locking or giving out...so far my flexion is 110, still working on that, extension is very good, can touch the table with the back of my knee..still can't drive tho, but am doing exercises for that motion...am going stir crazy....stairs are still "good go up, bad go down"...doc says that should come about 6 weeks post-op...have not used a walker/cane since week one...walking straight, I don't waddle like a duck anymore...all in all, the doctor and therapist very happy with my progress...and so am I.....but,

Last week, I noticed a rash on my back...the next day I saw it on my tummy...husband said "call the doctor"...the doctor took one look at it and pronounced "shingles"....OWWWWW do they hurt...taking my knee pain meds for the shingles...anyone out there with advise for shingles?....would appreciate it....

Thanks,
Red

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »
Hi Red

Congratulations on your new knee - sounds like you are doing well!! Keep it up.

ouchy ouchy - don't know much about shingles other than it can be pretty nasty. Hope you are not suffering too much.

I drove at 4 weeks but got a few scary nasty twinges so it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit.

Good luck wth it - You wil prob find out loads about shingles if you google it.
anja
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #409 on: October 15, 2006, 06:03:22 PM »
wow 14 weeks tomorrow - I think - starting to lose track

still going well have been back to work for two weeks - very hard on the legs - tiring.

still trying to get off the tramadol - trouble is need pain meds on most days but withdrawals from tramadol giving me very tingling skin on my face , lips, hands feet and tongue!! okay when I have the meds - is obviously gonna take time.

knee pain not too bad - tends to be on the back of my knee cap - but then I suppose you wouldn't feel pain in the metal bits anyway! hee hee - someone suggested glucosamine this week - think some oil might be better!

Offline Mrs beesknees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
Hi Sandra -you must be back from your holiday by now ,hope you had a great time We've just had a week in Scotland with our daughter Louise & 14month old grand-daughter ,Georgina We all had a good time in spite of some rainy weather Georgie was fascinated by the sea & was pointing & saying "SSS"  She coped with the long drive very well so did the Beesknee .How were your knees in Spain? Hope to hear from you & the other KR's soon
                           Best wishes Diane

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »
Dear Anja,

Pleased to read that you are coping quite well with your new knee.  But sorry to hear that you still have to take some painkillers to get you through the day, must admit though I was never on tramadol, so not sure about the side effects that you are having, but I find good old paracetamol work just as well and don't have any side effects at all.  Might be worth trying to wean yourself off of them and trying something else. 

Was out with husband for most of today walking around shops etc., getting in and out of the car, by the time we got home sometime after 4 o'clock both legs were telling me enough is enough, but after a cuppa and a sit down they don't feel too bad now.  By the way I also take glucosamine, have done for ages, not sure if it makes any difference though.  I also take Extract of Green Lipped Mussel too!

Hi Diane,

Lovely to hear from you again, yes am back to reality of a month away.  Thankfully both knees behaved themselves whilst in Spain and Portugal, but I did find sitting in the car for hours was a little hard on them, but we did have quite a few stops, won't be going away in the caravan again now until the New Year holiday, am spending it away in the caravan with other caravan friends, hopefully the weather will be kind to us, last year we had to cancel, we were due to go to Folkestone and it was snowed in just prior to the New Year holiday.

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Best wishes to both of you.  Sandra. 

PS Anja  - have you heard how Bonnie is yet?
Washout both knees August 2003
TKR January 2004 Right Knee
PKR April 2005 Left Knee
Am very pleased got no more knees!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #412 on: October 17, 2006, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi Sandra

Glad you had a good holiday ;D I know how you feel sitting in the car too long!
Where are you in England - I absailed down the cliffs at Folkestone when I was 18 ;D

The tr ;Dmadol needs weaning off unfortunately - didn't know this when I was prescribed them - I am sure that paracetamol will be fine but it takes a while to get rid of the tramadol - down to one every 12 hrs - by then the tingling and tongue swelling just gets toooo irritating and scary - I don't take them until it has set in so it is getting less and less that I take them - in 3 weeks have gone from 8 a day to the 2 so hopefully not too much longer ::)

Getting horrible shooting pains in my shin in the evenings - prob just very tired leg.
Got home at lunchtime today and had a sleep - felt much better - very tired at the moment, but work is so busy.- have more headaches than knee pain!

Bonnie had her op which all went well ;D she is now in a rehab place for about 5 days - yesterday she emailed to say she had overdone it - hmm seem to remember those moments - we don't learn! Hopefully she will be home soon and back online!

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #413 on: October 18, 2006, 01:58:12 PM »
Hi Anja,

Thanks for your reply, lovely as always to hear from you.   Was reading an article in the You magazine which comes with the Mail on Sunday regarding Pain, not sure if you get that paper.  Basically it's about people who suffer from pain so badly that it affects their whole lives and it does state that the common causes of chronic pain are backache and oesteoarthritis, which I'm not sure you suffer from, but I do.  Had it of course, in the knees but have still got it in the base of my big toes, and thumbs and possibly at the base of the spine.  Not sure if the article will scan in but will give it a try if you are interested in reading it.

The only other way to take paracetamol which works a bit quicker is to try the dissolvable ones, so hopefully when you have weaned yourself off the tramadol you can try them, they are definitely not habit forming!  But you will find that gradually you don't need to take any painkillers, I only take as and when I think I need them now.  When I do get any pain in the legs I find that a cuppa and a sit down on my recliner chair for about an hour works wonders! :)

By the way I'm in Romford, Essex, but having the caravan husband and I do get around a lot!

Pleased to hear that Bonnie is the other side of a TKR!  Looking forward to her posting soon. 

Best wishes.  Sandra
PKR April 2005 Left Knee

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #414 on: October 18, 2006, 07:31:46 PM »
Hi Sandra
Hey I am in kent! ;D - just over the river lol - well a bit further.

Would be good to see that article - now my knee is done the main arthritis is gone! - I have it in my neck though and sure it is in my thumbs - very creaky. - Two bad lots of whiplash from car crashes and a fracture in my neck caused that! Spent 8 hrs on a backboard when I fractured the bone in my neck - they wouldn't let me off the thing until they kne my spinal cord was safe - my word - couldn't believe how stiff and seized your whole body could get not moving in that time It was actually really painfull to get moving again.

Do you work? - unfortunately the time when I could really do with a sit down is at work! ooh that would be so nice - keep telling my boss we need a setee there! lol

Good to hear from you
ange

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #415 on: October 18, 2006, 08:20:55 PM »
Hi Anja

Wow you really aren't too far away from me at all.  I have managed to scan the article into my computer and will send it to you on a PM, if for some reason you can't read it or anything like that let me know and I will get my husband to photocopy and may be mail it to you.  My goodness you have really been through the mill what with all your problems. 

I only work very very part time from home, I work for a very good friend who is a psychotherapist, but retiring soon but is doing a college course and I do all her typing.  Thank goodness my working days in an office are finished now, well I am 62 years old now! :o  I have been reading your other posts and it sounds as if you do a very demanding job, may be your boss could let you have a stool or something like that especially when your leg gets so tired, I know the feeling!

Hope to hear from you soon.  Best wishes, Sandra
PKR April 2005 Left Knee

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
« Reply #416 on: October 18, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »
Hi Sandra

I would be interested to read that article too.  Would you mind sending me a copy, if it's not too much trouble.  I've just spent 2 weeks in a rehab hospital trying to tackle CRPS and muscle pain.  I've been walking so badly for the last few years that it's caused problems in my hips and even my back.  I'm now learning how to walk all over again.  Wish the pain would go away.  During my 2 week stay I was taught how to cope with the pain in a more positive way.  Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.  I, like you prefer to take paracetamol more than anything else - I tend to have a nasty reaction to anything stronger. 

Hi Anja

How's work going?  I'm back at home with my feet up!  Well not quite, I have to keep up my exercises so I don't slip into the old habits.  It's amazing how tired it makes me feel.  Are you managing to sleep better now you're back in the work routine?  I actually think that anyone post-TKR would benefit from the intensive physio/hydro that I went through.  We all have to admit to getting into bad habits because of OA, it's the only way to get around with that kind of pain. 

I got my HS qualification!  I had three paintings accepted for exhibition this year.  I am so thrilled, I signed my first email with HS after my name.  I'm a proper artist now! 

Take care. 

Ellie

PS Glad to hear Bonnie's surgery is over and done with - now comes the hard work. 
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #417 on: October 19, 2006, 12:18:23 PM »
Hi Ellie,

Of course you can have a copy of the article, if you would care to send me your e-mail address I will send it to you.  It's only of the Mail on Sunday colour supplement but it does have some interesting bits in it that might help. 

Sandra
PKR April 2005 Left Knee

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #418 on: October 19, 2006, 07:38:07 PM »
Hey Ellie  HS!!!- really good to hear from you!!

So how is it - any better? you are def right about keeping up the exercises - I have serious muscle ache and only had 3 months off work - actually went to bed at 9pm yesterday! unheard of for me - still sleeping crap but at least going to bed then gave me a good 3 hrs before I woke up!

Congratulations on your qualification - absolutely no idea what HS stands for - but obviously means you are painting at a very high standard!

Are you back at work yet? full time / part time? - It's hard going back!

Take care - send me an email and tell me all about the rehab (please ;D)
anja

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2006, 12:01:42 AM »
I just found this site, it is truly amazing.  I wish i found it before tkr but its okay.  I am 46 years old and the mother of 4 boys.  I had RTKR in June .  was wondering if anyone has what i have.  unbelievable hamstring pain in the back of knee.  I have tried every over the counter pain med out there. the only thing that works is oxycodone just 10 mg. in the morning and muscle rub and an ace bandage.  i am a legal secretary so i sit alot.  The medication is a prescribed one...i told the OS that hamstring killing me and didnt seem to excited.  At a medical end at pt, dont no what else to do, any advise would be helpful

Ellenmarie

Hey Ellie  HS!!!- really good to hear from you!!

So how is it - any better? you are def right about keeping up the exercises - I have serious muscle ache and only had 3 months off work - actually went to bed at 9pm yesterday! unheard of for me - still sleeping crap but at least going to bed then gave me a good 3 hrs before I woke up!

Congratulations on your qualification - absolutely no idea what HS stands for - but obviously means you are painting at a very high standard!

Are you back at work yet? full time / part time? - It's hard going back!

Take care - send me an email and tell me all about the rehab (please ;D)
anja

support