Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 210228 times)

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
Lorraine - your knee sounds a bit like mine used to be prior to my TKR.  I had OA and OCD lesions and tried numerous attempts at microfracture and OATs.  In the end TKR was my only option.  Yes, 45 is young for this kind of procedure, but you have to think of your quality of life.  Does your knee pain prevent you from even taking the shortest of walks, or going shopping?  Does that pain take over your life completely?  You need a life now whilst you're young enough to enjoy it properly.  For me, personally, I just thought I'd rather have some level of fitness now.  You also need to consider the damage that's likely to occur in your other joints if you don't address the problem. 

Yes, you will find that your ROM won't be so good.  On the other hand look at Anja - she's doing so well.  My OS told me I wouldn't be able to kneel either, but I couldn't do that before the TKR.  My ROM is just 100 degrees, which is down to a complication of aggravated nerves, but I'm hoping to get more bend with intensive physio.  Not sure what your OS means about not being able to sit with leg bent - that's certainly not been a problem for me. 

Not only will you be rid of the OA and OCD pain, your new knee will feel strong and solid. 

The downside of having TKR at your age is that you're likely to require at least one revision. 

Anja - I apologise for not being around much this week - I've been trying to clear my desk before next week.  Sorry, you're still having problems sleeping.  I'm sure it will sort itself out when you get back into your old routines again.  I was just like you before I went back to work.  I read somewhere that if you don't fall asleep for 45 mins, then get up and make yourself a cup of tea (decaf), or read a book.  Have you tried audio novels? 

How are you feeling about going back to work on Monday?  Remember, if you and your new knee don't feel right, you need to take more time off.  Nag nag! 

How's your daughter enjoying uni?  Fresher's week is usually loads of fun with parties virtually every night. 

Bonnie - not long now.  You'll be fine. 

Just a couple of hours left of work - so I'd better get on. 

Take care and enjoy the weekend. 

Ellie
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2006, 05:09:34 AM »
Anja,
One more day before back to work.  What have you planned for your last day home?
Just saw a news piece about Middlesbrook, GB - they have the most CCTVS -video cameras and now speakers to direct offenders to do the right thing - amazing.

Hi Ellie, yeah 10 days to go, keeping very busy and trying to think happy thoughts.  What's happening next week, have I missed something again??

Take care
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »
Ellie is going to a rehab centre where they are trying to sort the RSD - really hope so!

I won't be doing much this weekend - my hubbie is on call and so won't be home he has enough work to last a lifetime!!

My son has rugby Sunday morning - apart from that just gonna chill.

I tried VALERIAN ROOT EXTRACT last night to help with sleep - got it from the health food shop. - I woke a couiple of times during the night but had no trouble getting back to sleep - I didn't get up until 10am - very thick head but it says that you don't get any after/side affects - so prob just feel like that as have had sooo much sleep - and still yawning like mad! I got really hot in the night as well. I suppose it could just be giving your body time to get used to it. - Will try again tonight but think will set my alarm clock so I don't stay in bed do long!

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »
Lorraine

I saw my OS in OCt 05, then the london os's in DEC 05, saw my OS again Jan 06 - then had my op 10 july 06.

I could have had it done sooner but I chose 26 june for my op - to fit in with kids finishing school for summer- and then the OS had to delay it - but it is about a 6 month wait for the op.

The recovery for me was a lot easier than I expected - had a bit of pain med trouble to start with - prob 'cos I had been on them for about 10 yrs before - but they got it right and then okay - yeah still get some painfull days and nights but prob just don't take enough meds! ::)

My flexion is now 135deg - my os said I could expect to get 110 !! I can crouch down with op leg a bit further forward and I can kneel as long as there is a nice soft carpet under knee.
Siitng on a chair with out leg elevated for the first couple of months made my leg ache like mad - easier to stand! and walk

of  course you will be able to sit with your leg bent - what did he mean here - yeah I can't sit with my legs crossed.

I am back at work monday - so will see how it goes!! ;D

TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline mmaxell

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • When one loves an animal part of the Soul awakens.
    • Infinite Blessings Ministries
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2006, 05:43:56 PM »
Hi Anja - so it's back to work on Monday for you!!!  Whereas a few of us are counting down the days/weels the other way!!!

My first TKR is 10/17 and I'm hoping the 2nd one will be about 10 weeks later in the beginning of January!  My knees are Virgin ;-)  Which I'm hoping is in my favor!  I just watched the Virtual TKR - I don't think I could watch the real one, however!!  The virtual one gave me plenty enough to think on!!!  As a matter of fact, I had related dreams last night, but nothing I can recall, today...

Just wanted to wish you well!!  What kind of work do you do?  Will you be on your feet or on your Butt?!?!?

Tootles ~ Melanie

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/House_of_Hens/

Ten Years OA Both Knees
3 Years+ Bone on Bone (Medial) Both Knees
TKR Left Knee 10/17/06 ~ TKR Right Knee 02/06/07

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #380 on: September 30, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »

I am the manager of a huge Farm shop - not a shed like thing but a big shop with over 80 suppliers and a bakery - it is very physical and on yer feet all day!! - think that is why I am not looking forward to it - it will be good to spend time with my friends at work though! the weather is getting colder here now though - and I really don't do cold - it is about 16 deg and my feet and legs are frozen.

I reckon that a 10 week gap would be fine - BUT - if you are not ready for it when you get to that stage then wait and get knee 1 good first!! - I have only got one bad knee - but my good knee is very painfull at times - just stress from overtime for tkr knee - hopefully they will soon be equally good. - You do have an advantage having virginal knees - less scar tissue risk - just please get right in there with the exercise - it broke my heart and made me angry at the same time when I was in hospital and saw people just not getting on with it - it will not come to you - you have gotta do it - really wish you the best of luck - and down days will come - but you have us to drag you back up ;D

anja[/color]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:21:43 PM by anja »

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2006, 07:06:14 PM »
Anja,  I tell you .. I was out of work this year from  Jan to April.  One side of me was like I want to get back to work. The second side of me was like how the hell I am going to do this. .. But as you know . I dropped the sticks in late June and hopping along..  I have this feeling the first few weeks may be a bit overwhelming.. but you are a tuffie and  Just bring an ice bag with you..  rest and be good to your self.

I see you bought new sneakers.. Very nice one's too. Sketchers have that cutie pie look and feel.   I had the platform one's  before.  At work I have to have a dressy look and used to wear kitten heels with pointy toes .. or the mule with a low heel. .. now thats all changed..

I wear these ryka shoes and somedays I wear these ugly birkenstocks.  ( i had put so many lidocaine patches on the bottom of my left foot while wearing these)  I need to power wash them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:08:47 PM by knee deep in Goo »

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »
last year I bought a pair of  these type of boots to stick under a skirt.    Needless to say I havent worn them much at all.   Back in April I bought three pairs of flats.. and found they had no arch support ..So only can wear them at the office If i leave under my desk.. and really I am wearing them at meetings.. But  the last meeting I had to go to south Jersey I took my Ryka sneakers. Nobody minded nobody cared.  I am loved for my work ethic and ability to problem solve and network...   Actually,  My boss said to me.. That she does not see a differnece btw me working from home or at the office.. Things are fined tuned..to the point that well .I could be working anywhere in the world for her. ..   .. It also helps that she has a highten since of what it means to work with a disability..... Her dad has polio and her sister has rheumy.. I feel I am missing out on Biz trips due to this OA crap.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2006, 07:55:40 PM »
oh cute.

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2006, 02:57:44 AM »
Good luck in rehab Ellie, I'm hoping it will be great for you.

Shoes...all I can wear are flats - boring. Some days, when my knee is really bad I wear sneakers to the office, feels so much better.  I got a new pair of sneakers, wore them for the first time today, Nike Free, made to be worn without socks, they were very comfy. 

Don't know where I heard this so don't know if its true, but after a TKR you will walk differently, so you should start out in new shoes/sneakers that have not already molded to your old way of walking.  What do you think - truth of fiction????????

Anja, you can at least wear comfy shoes, right?
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #385 on: October 01, 2006, 03:06:21 AM »
 ;D  I say ..  its got to be truth..  .. .. new knee new shoes...  Burn the old .. bring in the new..

But seriously, I have a slanty leg..  So I suppose the weight bearing will be different with new knee.  :-X

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #386 on: October 01, 2006, 03:09:59 AM »
That makes perfect sense now!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #387 on: October 02, 2006, 04:15:21 AM »
Anja,
You're probably going to get up for work soon, so hope your first day goes smoothly.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #388 on: October 02, 2006, 07:35:12 AM »
Thanks Bonnie
Just about to leave - sadly can't go on line at work!!

will let u know how it goes!
anja

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #389 on: October 02, 2006, 11:59:56 AM »
 ;D 

Good Luck Anja!!

Don't try to do too much!!!

support