Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 210234 times)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
Yes! 18ish days...can't believe it.  I am going to a rehab facility after 3 days in hospital, for 7 - 10 days.  I know my staples will be in for 13 days and can't get incision wet. I may ask my OS for a Rx for a shower seat if I think I will need one, that way if I feel a bit shaky I can still shower whenever I want - otherwise hubby will insist I wait for him - he tried that a few weeks back, lasted only 4 days!

My worries about getting around on my own have more to do with my back.  Have a great gadget for that called a "reacher" - a leftover from my husbands back surgery 4 years ago, quite a handy thing.

Extra worries don't make it easier that's for sure.

Well, am about to finally leave work.  It's the Jewish New Year, so off to celebrate. 
Wishing all of you a healthy, happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonnie
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #361 on: September 25, 2006, 03:58:17 PM »
Anja,
Hope you are feeling ok and just keeping busy.  Remind me again when you are going back to work?

Bonnie
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
Hi Bonnie - yeah thanks I am okay

Didn't realise I hadn't posted for a few days

Hope you had a good New Year!
Make sure that if you get nothing else for rehab thet it is a toilet frame and seat raiser - you will need it for prob about 6 weeks!
Week 11 today! going back to work next Monday.

Had a very hectic weekend - we took my daughter to Wales on Saturday - she has started University there. - it was over a six hour drive to get there - and of course back again so a bit hard on the knee - but okay after a days rest - then today I swapped  the childrens bedrooms over - so my son gets the bigger one. That took all day - so pretty shattered now!

Just gonna watch a bit of TV then go to bed!

Only a couple of weeks for you now! ;D
Have a good evening
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »
Anja,
Thanks, had a good weekend with family.  Can't believe its 11 weeks??? You sure have been keeping busy.  I can't imagine 6 hours in the car, this weekend it was 2 1/2 hrs each way and I was complaining.
Saturday night at 11:30 pm (while at my relatives home in a dark area populated with many senior citizens) my dog decided to go off on her own (I didn't put the leash on) and she slowly ran from house to house - I woke up a few of the neighbors calling her and then she ran into an area so dark I couldn't see her - I panicked & realized if I didn't get to her soon...well in any case, I started to run!  I didn't know I could even do it, its been so many years.  I finally got her and then realized what I had done.  I'm still hurting, but truly amazed. 

Hope you get to rest a bit tomorrow.

Bonnie
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #364 on: September 25, 2006, 09:27:17 PM »
Running? wow - I can't remember how! ;D - maybe one day soon.

That was only one way - it was 13 hrs - we came back the same day!! - ouchy ouchy.

Actually - my foot hurts more than my knee now - where does it end - prob just not used to being on them for so long.

Hope the pain goes soon - now remember - running is not good!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #365 on: September 26, 2006, 04:06:14 AM »
I thought the running was cool actually.  I guess this is the best time to do it , 2 weeks before I get my knee.  Promise, I won't try any funny stuff after.
13 hours in one day -omg!  You are a great mom.  But I think its good that you are going back to work, but do try to take it easier at first, it sounds like you have a physcially demanding job.

How are you sleeping lately? hopefully better.  Any idea why your foot is hurting?

Night.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #366 on: September 26, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »
Hi Bonnie

sleep!! last night had one of the crappiest sleeps ever!!! and I was soooo tired when I went to bed - I was convinced that I was going to have a good night - I am just hoping that when I am back at work it will be better. The two previous nights I slept really well - best since my op! - but I did take a diazepam both nights ;D - I only have 4 left so saving them for desperate times ;D  I am sure my GP would give me more but I want to get sleep back to normal without pills.

I love my job - but I also know that it is too much for me right now - so just gonna see how it goes!- My husband is quite determined that if I need to go home early that I just go - I won't lose my job - but I don't want to be unreliable either - so have spoken to my boss and he has agreed (he does have a short memory though) that if I need to go then so be it!

be back  - gotta go and find my sons school books

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #367 on: September 26, 2006, 10:03:15 PM »
Anja,
I do understand about sleep problems. I never had problems sleeping until about 1 1/2 years ago, thought it was the stress from dealing with my mom, but after talking with my gyn, was told it was a definite sign of pre-menopause (inability to fall asleep & palpitations at bedtime), so got into the habit of taking something to sleep almost every night, so i understand why you are taking the pills only as an emergency.
Returning to work will definetly have its frustrations, even with an understanding boss.  Once you are there people just assume you're ok.  Being unreliable and physically not being up to the task are two very different things.  You are NOT unreliable!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #368 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:08 PM »
Yeah I know I am not unreliable - but I also have a problem with staff that do not perform well - subsequently I have to be even more on the ball!! - I cannot afford to leave myself open to criticism or be seen to not do my job properly otherwise there are some that will think they can do the same and it is then that things start to fall apart - which would be bad for the business that I am paid to manage.  I am probably too hard on myself but I do like things to be 100% in order. It is just the way that I have been brought up to work efficiently ::)

Apart from the gym today have had a very lazy day - spent a couple of hours on msn chatting to my daughter ;D which was really nice - we had been talking on our mobiles but I suddenly thought of the phone bill I was gonna get! :o :P

The house is all tidy - the main benefit of daughter moving out - she was terribly messy!! - so now I really have nothing to do - unfortunately all of my friends are back at work after the holidays. Ah well back to work in a few days - then the house will never get untidy as no one will be home ;D lol

Have a good evening.
anja

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2006, 02:17:16 AM »
Anja,
Sounds like you need to enjoy those lazy days because they are few and far between!  So cool that you have such a close relationship with your daughter.  Too bad you don't have mobile phone networks like we do here, some companies offer free calls to anyone using the same network, so my husband & I never pay for calls to one another!

Work sounds like it can be quite intense. Wave your cane around at the ones not performing well (don't you wish???)  :D

Hope you"re having a decent nights sleep.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »
Hi Bonnie

my phone is on contract - but there is still a limit on the amount of talk time !! My daughetr gets free calls at the weekend and mondays - so that is good as well.  Now she has her computer set up it is nice emailing and using msn..

I had to send her coat today as she forgot it - so did a big parcel up with the essentials like toilet rolls, tampax, tissues , rice, tea bags - all light stuff - hmm the things they don't think about until they run out!! (and some money in the coat pocket) ;D

Another crap night - not so bad though as I have nothing to do really today so it is not like I need tons of energy ! But I was not in pain - just kept waking.

Have just done an hour in the gym so that was good.

Not long for you now!!! - such a shame that I will be back at work when you are done!! but will still be here in the evenings for you.

Take care
anja

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2006, 10:20:52 PM »
Anja
My phone is on a contract too. What a great idea - money in the coat pocket, would never have thought of doing that! 

As to the sleep thing, maybe you can talk to your GP now, before you start work & are too busy, for  a RX to help you sleep - sometimes just knowing yuo have them helps , its not like you will abuse them.

Thank you so much for offering to be there in the evenings for me, I just hope you don't regret that offer  ;D
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30:05 PM »
Hey Bonnie - that is my evenings - not yours - dunno what time it is with you but here it is nearly 10.30pm so nearly bed time!

I will wait until I get back to work and get settled. To be honest I have never been a good sleeper - I never ave trouble getting up in the morning as I am always awake - just as well as I get up at 6.15 when I have to work! At weekends I don't sleep beyond 7am! which is quite annoying as my hubbie will lay in until I wake him!! - usualy by 10.30 am!!

Might see if the chemist has a herbal thing I could take - I think it is a bad habit now!! - on the nights my knee doesn't hurt!

had another chat with my daughter on msn this evening - it was nice as my hubbie was on line as well so had a good banter going! - she had to go though - another party ;D

So is it 13 sleeps now to your op?

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #373 on: September 28, 2006, 02:51:24 AM »
Anja,
You are sooo right - totally forgot about the time diff.  It's 5 hours behind here, so right now its 9:40 pm and hopefully you're asleep, cuz its 2:40 am.
I don't have trouble staying asleep, just falling asleep.  I'm with your hubbie, I'm the one that can sleep - my hubbie is the one up at 7am.
The internet is a wonderful thing, helps your family stay connected.  How's your son doing?
Yeah, 13 days to go..... wow
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline xxLorrainexx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2006, 12:34:18 PM »
Hi. just been reading your diary about TKR as i have been told to consider one in next 6 months. Have just started recovering from oats procedure and they have decided in their wisdom that TKR would get rid of all the pain in my right knee!"!! scarey.
I too had the knee jerks after the oats op and boy do you get near to the ceiling with pain. Could have cried for England. How long did you have to wait for surgery and please tell me the truth. What is the recovery like. O.S. said I will lose some function in the knee : not be able to kneel, get in and out of a bath or sit with leg bent ( can't do any of that now without serious pain) but did say daily pain would go.
Been told the final decision is mine as being 45 they feel i'm still a bit young ( wow at last i'm too young for something) I was also surrounded by geriatrics and to think they say the youth of today have no manners.
osteo arthritis both knees
arthroscopy right knee sept 05
oats procedure for osteo chondral lesion right knee June 06
TKR right knee in six months possibly
tkr delayed now another arthroscopy and hyalgan injection in 5 months
injections not done as promised saw gp and he'll do them in July

support