Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06  (Read 185613 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: I got a new knee - TKR 10th july 06
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »
Hi Ellie

Hope that horrid migraine has completely gone - bloody awful things - you have my complete sympathy there!

Just rang physio and they are coming to get me for an hour session on friday and will bring me home again - so that is good - even better - it's my pre op physio that I have got! she is so lovely and knows what she is doing.

Having no trouble walking - except when I try to trip myself up on my sticks! Hubbie has had several sets of kittens!! ;D Stairs are okay as well - thank God - OT left a commode for me - so don't need that! ;D. Find that if I am just walking in the lounge I don't need my sticks!!
Tried the leg raises and bends but really having trouble with those but have decided it is early days so not gonna be too hard on myself - it will come - it is the knee cap that causes pain there - and swelling - so will just ice all day. Hubbie was going to order a cryo cuff but said would see how I go with the ice gel packs for a few days - they seem to work well and refreeze quite quickly.

going to doctors tonight - not my GP but hopefully will sort me - my surgery rang back and said my GP would be there tomorrow so if I don't get sorted tonight then to go and see him in the morning - so will get a Taxi if I have to.

Back on the ice now - so nice!

Got friends coming the next two mornings so that will be good - day time TV is AWFUL !

hope you have a good day at work - take it easy!
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 10:16:13 AM »
Hi happy Hop ;D

how ya doing? working hard?

I will go to docs tonight - they said they have to see me first time for new meds from them! so will see what happens - my GP would have just done prescription - ah well - get an outing today - and physio Friday - (see above)

Got some special scar oil stuff - can't remember what it is called - it's upstairs so will get that on next 'comfort break' ;D and try it round knee (not incision!)

Don't miss the snores at all - Mind you hubbie is quite good at it!! - when he gets to sleep in between ice collection for me!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »
nearly forgot - just have to have a moan bout this - got a bed sore on my right heel (operated leg) ah soooo sore - blinkin' TED socks - have now got a dressing on it to try to make it better.

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 10:50:39 AM »
Hi Anj

I checked in my my Doc on the Monday after my TKR (needed a note for work basically).  But I got the feeling that they were pleased that I did, think they wanted to hear how things went from the horses mouth. 

Best not to try and trip yourself up with those sticks - just be careful.  I found, during my first week I made loads of progress, then the second week the frustration started, couldn't get the same bend as I did in the hospital, the SLL's were loads tougher - everything just seemed harder.  So don't worry too much - it's all part of the healing.  Hey you're one of the minority who managed to do SLLs and bends within 24 hours of surgery.  And you're doing so well with the walking.  Go girl!  Just remember to use the ice as much as you can.  Funny that since I've had these sharp pains I've developed a bit of an aversion to ice, which is a pity as it helped so much before. 

Sorry you've gotta wear those lovely TEDs during this beautiful hot weather (too hot, too hot).  You'll have to get some of that self-tanning stuff to put on your legs when you finally get rid of the stockings. 

I found that vitamin E cream was fab for my knee.  Obviously, as Hop says, avoid the actual wound at this stage, just gently massaging that knee will help.  Beware as your physio may not be so gentle with the knee massage - but it's the best way to stop the build up of scar tissue. 

Anyway, I'd better get on. 

Ellie

PS Hop - thanks for the hug.  I hate migraines but at least it's all gone now

Anj - just saw your last post - bed sore, ouch.  Didn't they give you a gel pad for your ankles in hospital?  I couldn't have slept without it. 
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 10:53:10 AM »
You can do stairs and you're walking without sticks in the loungs.

OH MY GOD !!!!!

Watch out for hub having kittens, they are a right pain for tripping over!  ;)

Glad you have physio sorted out for Friday, it's a really good opportunity to gadge where you are etc.. Really good of them to collect you too! Just goes to show some aspects of the NHS are ok! Just a shem some parts let the rest down eh!

It's great that you have friends over, you'll be able to sit in your lovely garden and get some sun and natter! Sounds good to me!

Hop x

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 11:18:43 AM »
hee hee
just went up and down the stairs just using the hand rail!

sorry got to have a little power nap now - been up for 3 whole hours ;D

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:59 AM »
Wow! Impressive girly!

Question for you...did oyu have your knee cap replaced too? I can't get my head around how they would do that and attach it to the patella tendons etc? Am I being a thicko? Tee Hee!

Enjoy your kip.

;D

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 12:30:28 PM »
Anj, I second Hop's comments.  Going up and downstairs using just the handrail and walking around without sticks - Good for you girl!  Don't get overdoing things! 

You say you don't have too much bruising, what about at the back of your leg where you can't see - I still have bruising there and it's over 5 months!  But then your drain worked quite well by the sound of things (nothing came out of mine). 

Hop, when they replace the patella, they shave the back (something like 7mm) and glue on a new plastic bit, so the whole thing isn't replaced just part of it.  I found this was the hardest part of the TKR, as it made some knee bending difficult, like the slippy-board-thingy. 

Glad you're taking regular naps Anj - have a great afternoon with your friends. 

Ellie
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
Loved the pictures--- especially your big smile!  Glad to read that you're doing sooooooooooo well!!!
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »
thanks donna! Everyone says I smile a lot - but hey it costs nothing and you usually get one back! ;D

Ellie - no don't have too much bruising at all - I was quite suprised by this - just swelling is quite big.

well, didn't get to sleep afterall, my brother in law and ex husband both turned up within 10 minutes of each other - and stayed for 3HOURS - hard work as they don't like each other - bloody men!

then hubbie came home at 4.30 and took me to the doctors - DISASTER !!!!!!!! - I decided that would nip to the loo when we got there as didn't know how long we would have to wait in the chemist for the prescription. So just as I was about to get up from sitting on the toilet the seat slipped and OMG I hurt my knee so bad - I was in floods of tears and shaking - and hey presto went straight into doctors office!

Be interesting to see if they do health and safety report on it - the secretary went straight into the toilet and came out and said - omg she's right it is broken!

so anyway the doc said my pain meds were half of what they should be and gave me diazepam as well - muscle relaxant - so hopefully that will do the trick .

Got Ice on my knee now - it is still very painfull - so hope no damage done - will see how it is in the morning - if bad will call GP to come and see me!

gonna have dinner now! poached eggs on toast - yummy!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 11:45:38 AM »
help
think my email and knee geeks gone wrong - brother in law messed with my pooter yesterday - did you get my email today?

duh - dunno why this is here it was meant to be a pm to hop!??
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:57:24 PM by anja »

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 06:28:21 PM »
It was all of us I think who were messed up here.

Can I ask why your ex-hubby was around????  I am curious as I don't like to speak to mine unless I have to.   ;)
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »
the pooters were all poopers
I've been missing all of you!!!
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »
Hi all - glad this is working now

ex hubby - he is still the father of my children! so it is better to get on than not - we did have quite a while when it was very  frosty as his girlfriend then wife for whom he left me (she was 19 yrs younger than him) was so jealous of me that he was not allowed to talk to me! and there she was sitting in my house! - they are now getting divorced - hee hee

any how - DAY 8

not too bad a night - still got the jolts but not as violent - had trouble getting up this morning - had meds and ice pack at 5 am when hubbie went to work then slept again till 9 am - had friends round for quite a long time then had 45 min sleep and walk to shops with hubbie.
It is very hot here and am very tired - knee was okay until I did some exercises - hurty hurty on the knee cap.
Just gonna chill this evening - getting fed up already with not being able to do much!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 07:20:31 PM »
ops forgot - you would have thought the GP surgery would have checked to see I was ok after yesterdays episode!- but didn't