Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Running  (Read 5380 times)

Offline runswithdogs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Running
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:00:22 PM »
Hello Everybody,

I had a hard time recovering from knee surgery (torn meniscus and some arthritis in the kneecap) and for a while I thought I had to give up running forever, which made me very depressed.   I've run competitively for 30 years (the last 3 as a triathlete), so I kept looking for solutions and I think I've found it in my new Kangoojumps. I bought them 3 weeks ago and love them.

These are boots with springs that absorb 80% of the impact. I showed them to my physical therapist yesterday who, like me a month ago, had never heard of them. They're originally from Switzerland and are better known in Europe than in the U.S (where I live). When I first put them on I felt like I was walking on clouds and when I started running in them my knee didn't hurt at all!  My knee has improved since and I'm slowly getting back into running,  but I alternate my workouts with running in the Kangoojumps. I'm surprised I had never seen these before until somebody told me about them, so I just want to spread the word. Go to www.kangoojumps.com to see what I'm talking about. If you feel you can't live without running, but your joints can't take the impact, give them a try.

Runswithdogs

Offline The-Rock

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Knees are not my favorite bodypart.
Re: Running
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:51:46 PM »
Hi Runswithdogs,
this is great news. Maybe this is the answer for me. I have been through 2 knee arthroscopic surgery. I am in a very similar state as you.
My orthopedic told me that I have to stop running/jogging for a while and start swimming or bicycling. It is quite hard to give up running
and well I have to say at least for me because it is not often written here is that I miss the friendship with my fellow runners.
Many forget that and do not show consideration for.

If you have time please give us some more info on what type you bought and your experience.

So many thanks.

2006 two times partial meniscectomy, left knee.
2006 Subacromial Decompression surgery in left shoulder.
2006 Diagnosed with spondylitis ankylopoetica.

Offline runswithdogs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 04:33:35 PM »
Rock,

The Kangoojumps that I have for running are model KJ/XR. After trying them out the first timeI was very sore for 2 days, especially in my hips and hamstrings.  The springs have 3 bands and since I only weight 118 lbs, I cut the middle band because they were too stiff for me. That made a big difference and when I ran in them the second time it didn't make be as sore as before.

It's not easy to run in them and my pace is slower, but I first want build up my endurance and work on speed later. I use them 3 times a week and it took me 3 weeks to be able to run 3 miles in them with 2 short walking breaks. If you're wearing orthodics in your running shoes, you should definitely wear them in the boots too. 

Runswithdogs

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
Hello fellow runners!

And I thought I'd look daft aquajogging!  (am still plucking up the courage to take the belt to the pool)

I have not yet had my arthroscopy and not yet sure that I will be going ahead.  After being informed 'it's torn, we can fix it if you want' four months ago, I find out last week my extensive horizontal tear is basically a shredded meniscus and most of it will be removed.  A bit scary and not sure I want that to happen since my pain is sporadic and I have continued to run and set pbs since the scan.  Only stopped running last week due to probs in my other knee, symptoms similar to meniscus tear.  Cannot get MRI scan prior to surgery date so have been offered bilateral arthroscopy.

Like you guys, my priority is running.  My concern is that I will be in a worse position post-op than I am now due to lack of cushioning and probable onset of osteoarthritis.  I'm 36, have only been running 2 yrs and hope to run for more.  Have you guys tried pool running?  I've heard it is very boring!
R knee symptoms 2003
Feb 06: MRI extensive complex tear/shredded R medial meniscus
Aug 06: NHS offer removal of most of meniscus
Oct 06: Partial meniscectomy, plica resection and CMI in Germany
Mar 2008: R CMI failure
L knee symptoms 2006
Mar 2008: cartilage defect patella, pes anserine bursa

Offline runswithdogs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:15:08 PM »
EyeSpy,

Aqua jogging is extremely boring unless you find yourself a partner and you can talk while doing it. On the other hand, it's a good alternative to running. I've done it during short periods of time I was injured.

Running with the Kangoojumps is as much fun as running and gives you a better workout. Also, you can run races with them. The race director of the 5k I ran understood that the boots are not performance enhancing. I didn't need to explain anything. The only drawback is that they slow you down a little. On Wednesday I'm going to run with my regular group and will find out if I can keep up with them.  My next challenge is to run on trails with them.

Runswithdogs

Offline The-Rock

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Knees are not my favorite bodypart.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 01:18:34 PM »

Runswithdogs,
I have not tried Aqua-jogging but I can belive it can be boring in the long term. But it is I think the best way to workout especially when you are in rehab.
I can think of another boring workout and that is stationary cycling :-) I am glad to read about your positive experience with Kangoojumps and I am excited to hear
how your run went. I have red that the Kangoojumps are about 1 or 2 kilos in weight and it takes time to develope muscle strenght to run in the same pace as before.

The-Rock.
2006 two times partial meniscectomy, left knee.
2006 Subacromial Decompression surgery in left shoulder.
2006 Diagnosed with spondylitis ankylopoetica.

Offline WhiteH2OWoman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »
Hi y'all...I'm honestly not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but thought I would post my own experience.

I was a competitive distance runner in college and afterwards, for 27 years.  Was also a competitive powerlifter, bodybuilder and Olympic-type weightlifter.  I was also a triathlete and a USA Level 1 triathlon coach.  I ran my own personal fitness training business for a number of years.  My favorite race was the Pike's Peak Marathon and I loved trail running!

Two years ago, at 46, after my 3rd major knee surgery, my orthopedic told me I had to give up running if I wanted to keep on walking.  So I made the obvious choice and quit running

It was hard, hard, hard, emotionally...but I did come through to the other side, got more into mountain biking, and into whitewater kayaking in particular.  The other kayakers are great, and we are  a very closely-knit group.  And I was in the Olympic Trials for whitewater slalom in 2004 at the tender age of 45!

I'm just bringing this up in case any of you ever have to go through this...yes, it will be hard, but you will get through it.  I never thought I could live without running, but turns out I did fine by finding something else to compete it.

I CAN aqua-jog (we have a pool now), and it WILL amp up your heart rate like nobody's business! 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:00:08 PM by WhiteH2OWoman »

support