Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: An insight into the medial patello femoral ligament reconstruction!!  (Read 14819 times)

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: An insight into the medial patello femoral ligament reconstruction!!
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2006, 05:00:59 PM »
Thanks bunches Daffy! :-D
 It was more the scare than anything I think...that fear that we all know so well.  The doctor said not to baby it, just keep going because bending it and walking normal will help the swelling to go down quicker. Also, I will try the compression. Thanks for the suggestion!

Take care!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
4/98 unsuccessful microfracture
10/98 Severe Dislocation, torn cartilage
11/98 Debris removal
12/00 Debris/Fluid Removal
5/04 Dislocation, 6 mos PT
5/06 Dislocation
8/06 L knee MPFL reconstruction and arthroscopy, debris removal

Offline mubs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »
melissa,

sorry to hear about your fall.  that is one of my biggest fears!

pls let us know how you're doing now that a couple of weeks have gone by.  have you managed to control the swelling and pain?

mubs

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2006, 02:03:09 PM »
Melissa

Sorry to hear about your fall.  Hope that things are improving and that you are able to get back to your rehab.  I am doing really well now.  Most of the time I forget that I had surgery which is good although it does mean I sometimes try to do things I am not quite ready to do and then I still get a litlle sore.  My leg is still pretty weak and I am really trying to work on strength now.

Mubs,  Hope you are improving. 

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2006, 03:10:50 PM »
Hi all...
Thanks for the thoughts! I am doing better in the 2 weeks since I took my little spill. I still have major brusing all the way down my leg and around my knee (most likely from the blood thinner I am on since my blood clot) and some swelling, but it has gotten better. I am back to 136 ROM and going up and down stairs pretty much like normal. I saw my OS last Friday and he seems pleased, and not concerned about any further damage to the knee. I will see him in 8 weeks and at that time, if I am still doing well, he will release me from PT and allow me to go back to the gym (which I can't wait for).
For now, I will continue with PT 3 times a week and doing some things at home. My quads are just *starting* to come back, but have a long way to go. I am at 16 weeks this Saturday, and finally am starting to feel normal again, whatever that may be.
The snow has started flying here in Syracuse, NY, so I am being extra extra careful not to fall again....

Amy, so glad to hear you are finally doing really well!! Hopefully this sugery will be the charm for you....
Mubs and Daffy, how are you both doing?

Melissa
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline daffy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »
Glad to hear your doing well, and the fall didnt set you back to much. Bet your excited about the gym, the first time feels so good!!! Just keep working hard in physio so you have a nice strong leg for when your doing gym work.

Im doing ok, still got a -39% defecit in my hamstring when i got tested last week, but its not stopping me from rugby training or anything, just got to be carefull i dont go full out sprinting, and ill carry on with my strengthening work.
I still get a little sharp pain medially when i do certain things, i think thats because the graft is tight so i better get used to it really.

Hope everyone is doing well, and hopefully this will be the end of our knee worries!!! :D
March 06 -  (L) Patella tendon debridement and microfracture

July 06 - (R) MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2006, 04:42:34 PM »
...yes....the end...."knock on wood"    ;D
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline mubs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »
hi all,

glad everyone is doing well.  i am now 5 wks post op and doing ok.  am at 110 degrees ROM and really working on strengthening.  saw my PT yesterday and she's given me some gym excercises.  should've gone to the gym today but i was quite naughty last night.  went to office christmas party and then went out clubbing and actually DANCED!!!  great night but woke up really hung over this morning and my knee is really stiff and swollen.  so i am now icing and elevating instead of hitting the gym.  nobody but myself to blame.

definitely going to the gym tomorrow tho.  off to cape town on monday for my brother's graduation.  have to make sure i keep up with my ROM and strengthening in between eating loads of yummy seafood and touring wine farms (still don't understand why they're not called vinyards like tehy are everywhere else).

have a great w/end everyone

mubs xx

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »
I am just about 6 months post op now.  I just had a strength test done and now have only a 6% deficit in my hamstring and a 25% deficit in my quads so I've still got a lot of work that needs to be done.  I have very little pain and swelling in my knee now.  It still get tired when I over do it but I attribute that to the lack of strength.  I have never regained my full ROM and don't think that I will, but both my OS and PT said that I could gain ROM up to about 1 year so maybe I'll get a little more back.  I now have between 140-145 so it is fully functional and I never really realize that I am lacking the remaining 20 degrees, but I never try to squat because I do still have some problems with my other knee too.

Hope everyone else is progressing nicely and having good knee days.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

support