Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: An insight into the medial patello femoral ligament reconstruction!!  (Read 14528 times)

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: An insight into the medial patello femoral ligament reconstruction!!
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 03:45:37 PM »
Hello all..
Daffy, congrats on running on the treadmill! That is a big step in the right direction...I bet it felt nice!

I haven't been on here in a few weeks, as I was admitted to the hospital on Sept. 8. The discovered a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) in my R lung which was VERY painful, and it had actually started to collapse my lung. Scary. The doctor at the ER said that it possibly could have killed me if I waited another day or two. I was in the hospital for 6 days, given lots of painkillers and blood thinners and was watched "like a hawk". I was out of work for 2 weeks, and finally am feeling better. Still some pain in my chest and back, but it is because my lung is still swollen to protect itself, as it will be for a bit. I have to have blood drawn each week now, as well as a CT Scan every two weeks to check for breakthrough bleeding in my head (lets hope that doesn't happen). I am on Coumadin for 6-8 months to ensure that no more clots form, so it will be a bit of a lifestyle change for awhile, but nothing major. The doctor said that it was a combination of the surgery and the birth control that I was on that probably caused it. He said that I should recover well becuase I am young and healthy.

I finally reached 90º ROM on Friday, which is frustrating becuase I was starting to move along nicely before that. I saw my OS this morning and he is pleased now with the results and said I am actually starting to do really well. I am still walking with crutches, but I am walking, putting weight on the leg to get used to the feeling. Amy, I am glad to hear that you were able to get down the steps-- that is my next feat, I hope.

Alicia, I understand what you say when you mentioned that your leg feels "tight." My OS said it is normal and should start to loosen up with time. As far as the knee/graft site, it just plain hurts, I won't lie. I also asked him about that and he said it is normal, and will hurt for awhile, as it is a major surgery. I take Tylenol as needed, and my Percocet at night when it hurts the most.

Does anyone else find that their knee is the "tightest" in the morning when you wake up??? What do you do to help that?
I am afraid to sleep with my knee bent at all and I think that this has something to do with it!

Good luck all.
6/96-4/98  4 dislocations
4/98   unsuccessful microfracture
10/98 Severe Dislocation, torn cartilage
11/98 Debris removal
12/00 Debris/Fluid Removal
5/04 Dislocation, 6 mos PT
5/06 Dislocation
8/06 L knee MPFL reconstruction and arthroscopy, debris removal

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 09:43:25 PM »
Do any of you ever get the feeling like your knee is going to "pop" out since your surgery???
I am 6 weeks post-op tomorrow and I know I am healing, but it feels so odd to me. Maybe becuase my knee/muscles aren't totally stable yet....
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 11:32:02 PM »
Melissa,

What a scary few weeks that you have had.  Glad that you got everything checked out in time so that now you can be on your way to recovery now.  Congrats on getting to 90 degrees.  My knee is definately stiffest in the morning which I blame on sleeping wiht it straight all night (go to used to sleeping in an immobilizer before surgery).  My knee also gets really stiff when sitting with it bent in one position for too long, and it becomes tight and painful to straighten it.  This is a problem with my classes and seminars where I have to sit in an auditorium for 2-3 hours straight.  Keep working on walking.  You have had a tough couple of weeks and so I'm sure that you are not where you would have wanted to be but your OS seems pleased with your progress.

I have had the feeling that it is going to pop out.  I have actually had a few suluxations in the past week and my patella is once again sitting on the outside edge of the trochlear groove.  All of this my PT assures me is because my VMO is very weak and not always firing with the rest of my quad muscles.  My PT also has talked to my OS and no one seems concerned but given my history I am a little uncertain. 

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »

My knee also gets really stiff when I am sitting with it bent for too long. It does hurt to straighten it out, but I guess we just have to work through it. When I saw my OS the other day, he said that his experience is people who can straighten their leg completley after surgery will regain full ROM. Also, great job getting down the stairs...sorry to hear about the fire though.

Back to work now. PT Today....I am going to push myself hard so hopefully I can start walking without crutches soon. It's driving me CRAZY!!!

Have a nice day!
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 03:47:45 PM »
Daffy and Amy (and everyone else who reads this)....

Hope you are having a "good knee" day today!!
I have started waking up a half hour earlier in the morning and putting the heating pad on my knee to warm it up and it makes things so much easier....just a small insight.

Take care.
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »
I have found that heal helps to loosen the leg up too.  I only get up early to put heat on my knee when I have PT early in the morning since my knee is very stiff in the morning.  I always want to show my PT how well I have done over the week on my own but my leg doesn't like to cooperate that early in the morning.  I got my  knee to 125 today.  Very happy since that is where my PT and OS said they would be happy if I achieved that as a final ROM but the way the it feels now I am confident that I will get more and my PT felt that way too today.  My knee is definately starting to feel a little looser and is definately getting stronger.  I can even start to see all of my leg muscles again.  I over did it over the weekend and was up on my feet a lot and it swelled up a lot but with some ice and rest it has settled down a little again.  I still have a lot of swelling by my patella tendon/fat pad area and a little by the new ligament.  My PT doesn't know why the swelling around the tendon won't go down but said the swelling over the tendon is normal.  Just another question to add to the list for when I go back to the OS at the end of the month.

Hope you are having a good knee day too. 

Amy
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 01:59:17 PM »
Hi Ladies,
Question....

What made you start walking again?
I have started to take baby steps with my immobilizer and no crutches but my knee feels like it is going to give out.
They have me doing stuff at PT to help, but I am too "iffy." Any advice?

Thanks!
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 01:59:48 PM »
And Amy,
Good job on the 125!!  :D
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline daffy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »
Just thought id say a big hello to everyone.......

How is everyone doing?
Amy good to see that your making good progress, you'll knee will be fine in no time!!

Hows your walking coming along Melissa? I just got rid of the crutches and made myself walk, and had to really concentrate to make sure i went heel toe and didnt alter my gait.But that seemed to work for me. It just takes time realy for your leg to get strong and for you to feel confident in it.

Latest with me is, just over three months post op now and doing reasonably well. Have started to do running outside now, and am allowed to do agility work which is cool, and hopefully will be able to go flat out sprinting in about two weeks time if all goes well. My quad is still a little weaker than my other but it is improving.
I can now push 95kg single leg on the leg press, so am pleased with that. Hopefully going to start doing free weight squats soon.

Am still having soreness and stiffness with my hamstring, so still have to have soft tissue massage on it. And like you melissa my knee still gets sore and stiff if im sitting with it bent for a long time. I'm hoping this is going to go soon, although it seems to be lasting a long time with me.

Right well im off for now, Hope your all ok

D x
March 06 -  (L) Patella tendon debridement and microfracture

July 06 - (R) MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2006, 09:30:22 PM »
A big hello back!  :)

Glad to hear things are coming along well!!! It's nice to look forward to the next step....for you, sprinting. How cool.... ;D

I am well, thank you. Started walking without the crutches at home and some at work. It feels good to let go of the crutches and just go--  they feel like extensions of my arms, haha. Like you said, Daffy, walking heal to toe...its tough sometimes, when you don't think about it. It will come with time, right?? 
I have reached 92º rom at therapy, but have been there for about a week...not saying Im stuck, but I fell like it. My PT did say that once I can comfortably hit 90, it is easier to break past it because I guess you have more strength and push at that point. I guess I wait and see...I am going to be breaking the bank here though because my insurance won't cover anymore visits after tomorrow....argh!

Keep up the good work...keep us posted on how the weight lifting and sprinting comes!!!
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 12:05:47 AM »
Daffy looks like you are doing well.  I can only hope that I get to that point although as every day goes by I am loosing confidence that my knee will return to normal.  I only hit 125 degrees that one day and since then it is between 115 and 120 and it seems to be harder to get it to that point.  Although a lot of the stiffness is out of my knee and I can use the 115 fully.  I can now sit with my leg bend without it being sore and developing a sharp pain in my leg.  My PT noticed today that my patella is sitting very low in comparison to the other knee and he thinks that that may be why I am having so much trouble with my ROM progressing despite the decrease in stiffness.  I go back to the OS in 2 weeks so I will see what he says about it.

Melissa, congrats on getting past 90.  For me 90-115 was the easiest ROM for me to gain and then it stalled again.  Hopefully, it will be easier for you and your ROM will continue to improve.  Keep working on walking, it does get easier.  For me I finally do not have to consciencely think about walking heel to toe and actually bending my knee when I walk as opposed to peg leg like I used to walk.

Hope everyone keeps improving.
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 12:13:55 AM »
I am also going broke now with PT.  I still go 2 times a week to try and get my knee functional again even though insurance stopped paying.  Luckily according to my salary, I qualify for financial assistance from the hospital so that I can afford to go without beconming completely poor. 
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline Helen_ uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Mostly falling apart today
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »
hi been reading your posts with interest.
I am due to have a graft with leeds keiogh tendon to reconstruct my extensor mechanism which is a morph of allograft leeds keiogh and other failed grafts from hamstrings etc.I still sublux and dislocate
I dont have knee caps thye were abnormally small and were remove 20 years ago.
This is salvage sugery and will build on what weaves he has already done. I have basket weave effect extensor mechansim which is restrictive in movement but only way to stop me dislocating it is a real pain in more ways than one very dibilitating and very soul destroying.
hope you both continue to make progress
Hugs H xxx
Facing my  66 th operation. Psoratic arthritis hyper mobile joints.Permanantly disabled but mobile thanks to skill and patience of a lovely surgeon.Married with two daughters.Had unstable and shallow joints had tiny knee caps now removed. constant battle to stay mobile using crutches or wheelchair.

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 02:26:55 PM »
Helen,
So sorry to hear about all the problems you have had. Hopefully this surgery will help...and be the last.
You sound so strong, and that is inspiring to the rest of us who haven't had problems such as yours.

Best of luck.  Keep us posted!!
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 05:27:29 PM »
Just wanted to post my news for the day...

IM WALKING WITHOUT CRUTCHES....only took 8 weeks! It feels weird, but I like it!!   ;D ;D

Hope everyone is having a good day today, even though it is Monday.
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation