Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: An insight into the medial patello femoral ligament reconstruction!!  (Read 14827 times)

Offline daffy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: An insight into the medial patello femoral ligament reconstruction!!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
Hey Amy,

Glad to hear doing so well, and are clearly on the road to recovery!!. Im just over six weeks post op and doing ok.
The strangest thing happened to my knee, on the scar on the inside of my knee a little stitch appeared, and this then just came out, which i thought was a bit strange but didnt really think to much of it. But then on the stitch over my patella i noticed a little bit of wire appear, this was around 5 weeks post op, and i kept being able to see more and more of it, until finally i thought ill just pull it and see what happens, and the stitch came out. It was weird as it had a surgical knot in, and then a long piece of wire underneath. Im not really sure where they appeared from as my scars were not stitched up. These must have been why my scar was not healing well though as now there out my scar is finally looking good. Ill have to mention it to the surgeon when i next see him i think, just to make sure there not supposed to still be in there?

I am down the gym around four times a week at the moment, and cardio wise i normally do 45 mins on the bike, 15 on the rower. Then im using the leg press machine to build my quads back up, im currently pushing 80kg on  the one leg. Im also doing squats with a Swiss ball, and steps ups on the Reebok box. My knee starting to feel more stable now, and like you do not have to concentrate on walking anymore. However, i still cant walk around for long as my leg just gets so tired, do you still get this?

My range of movement is at 130 degrees flexion, massage has helped a lot. How much longer do you have to have the brace on you reckon?

Hope you continue to do well anyway, let me no how your progressing.

D x
March 06 -  (L) Patella tendon debridement and microfracture

July 06 - (R) MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 10:23:10 PM »
Hello there...
I am new to this whole thing and am so glad that you all share your experiences.
I had reconstruction on August 9 and really have to say that my OS downplayed it quite drastically. He said that I would be back to work full time and ready to go to a convention 6 hours away within 10 days. I am now 19 days post-op and still in quite excruciating pain. I just returned to work. I am still swollen and bruised and it hurts to keep my knee in any sort of position for too long.
I saw my OS this morning and was able to bend my knee to 45. He said that I should be hitting almost 90 by now, but just don't see how. If I have not hit 90 by Sept 12, I have to go back in to the OR and he will do it all for me, breaking up the scar tissue, but putting me back out of work for another week.  :-[
Amy, I am sorry for all your knee problems, but thank you for posting that your ROM was only around 40 on day 17 as well, I do feel normal.  I hope things have continued to get better.
Daffy, I am glad to hear that you are back to the gym pretty quickly. My leg has gone to jelly and it is driving me crazy not to get to the gym right now! I feel like I do 10000 quad sets a day, but am not having luck. I am also glad you are doing well.
I find it the hardest to trust my knee and the strength. I am down to one crutch now, very slowly walking, but I keep stubbing my foot on the ground (because I can't lift it far enough) and it feels like it is dislocating. We all know how much fun that feeling it, I'm sure.
Now that you are a few more weeks from surgery, does it get easier? I just feel like crying and screaming and yelling, which I know won't make it better, but I push through PT three times a week and ice like crazy. Thanks for just letting me talk!!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
4/98 unsuccessful microfracture
10/98 Severe Dislocation, torn cartilage
11/98 Debris removal
12/00 Debris/Fluid Removal
5/04 Dislocation, 6 mos PT
5/06 Dislocation
8/06 L knee MPFL reconstruction and arthroscopy, debris removal

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »
I just went to the OS today and at 6 weeks had the brace taken away from me.  I now just have a sleave to wear because I still have a lot of swelling.  My OS was not pleased by my lack of ROM but just wants me to keep at it for a while longer because it is slowly improving.  I am now just over 6 weeks post op.  While at PT I can get close to 90 but it has stalled a little there, I could only get it to 85 at the OS today.  I think it was because my knee was tired and stiff after a busy day at work and the weather here has been really bad making it even stiffer because of the swelling.  My OS did demonstrate that my knee is tracking much better than before surgery and that he can't dislocate it.  He did this with me freaking out because he was playing with my knee cap and I am not a big fan.  I now have until the end of october to really work on building up my leg and working on ROM before going back to see my OS.

Melissa,
I know the feeling of the OS downplaying how painful this surgery was.  I had tremendous pain for the first 2 weeks.  I have struggled a lot with ROM so don't worry about oly getting to 40 it will get better.  I hope that you can avoid having them do a MUA on your leg.  My OS doesn't do that he would scope my knee again if it got to that but he is hopeful it will turn around and I will get past the block.  It took me 5 weeks to get off crutches for just what you are talking about, I could not walk while bending my leg enough to get my foot through without hip hiking or stubbing my toe on the ground.  So I took a long time to get off of the crutches.  I had a lot of muscle wastage and so now I have to trust my leg that it is not going to collapse which is very hard.  Good luck with your recovery.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »
Hi!
Thanks for the reply post, Amy. Keep trying with your ROM, it will keep increasing. You sound frustrated, naturally, anyone would be when your progress stalls. You also sound very determined, which is great. I know the feeling of freaking out when anyone goes near your knee-- but it must have felt good that it stayed in place when he did move it!! A good girlfriend of my had a (successful)Fulkersons almost 10 years ago and she is still touchy when anything goes anywhere near her...I am sure we all will be like that for a long while.

After a long day at work on Monday,I ended up in such excruciating pain at PT (I felt like my knee was dislocated) that I actually cried and yelled for the first time! My poor PT, she didn't want to touch me!! :'( My leg had begun to swell worse and get little white spots and bruises...they said it looks like it had displaced a bit and I should either go home and relax or go to the ER....after the other issuse I have had post-op (Pulmonary Embolism scare in my lung which turned out to be a slipped disc in my back) that was the last thing I wanted to do. I stayed home from work on Tuesday becuase I couldn't walk (thank God my employer is VERY understanding- thus far) and just worked on heating it and stretching it to 45 for awhile and then icing it like crazy! I do feel better today.
I just can't belive how "beat up" this while process has made me feel. 3 weeks post-op, as of today, and I have reverted back to using my immobilizer and walking with 2 crutches. My OS said I should start walking without the immobilizer but I feel like he isn't paying attention to how I feel and how frustrated I really am. >:( He seems to act like everyone is the same and should heal at the same pace. I feel like a hypocondriac, even though I know I am not. He is a great doctor, but come on already! I just don't feel safe enough walking without my brace and crutches, I have almost fallen on more than one occassion.
Today at work seems to be going more smoothly--- my thigh muscles are screaming for some attention and my office just isn't conducive to giving them what they need. I guess I will just keep trying!!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 01:23:47 AM »
I am getting frustrated with the pace of my rehab but I am determined to get my leg back to being fully functional.  I have no trust in my knee staying in place since I had this surgery after a failed TTT.  It was nice to see it not easily move to the outside like my other knee still does.  I have a feeling that the aprehension when people "play" with my kneecap will be around for a long time.  I hope that you knee is feeling better today and you will eventually get more confidence in your knee as you get more strenght in it.  I know for me it took a long time before I could walk with the brace but without my crutches because it felt like it was going to collapse.  I have a lot of confidence issues with my knee and I think that it is all made worse by the fact that I was still recovering from a fairly severe dislocation that happened only 2 weeks before my surgery and my quads shut down after that so it was hard to get confidence in my leg again.

Amy
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 02:31:09 PM »
It is good that you are working through the frustration and have a strong long term goal in mind. Attitude is so much in recovery.
Hope you are feeling well today.
 When did you have your TTT?

I have PT today and have set my goal to 70 flexion-- I was at 54 when I went on Wednesday, and I'm not leaving until I get it!

T-G-I-F and a long weekend here! Plenty of time to work on my wall slides, SLL's, quad sets and my SQA's....so I can go and kick butt next week.

Take care!!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline daffy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 04:19:33 PM »
Hiya melissa,

How many weeks post op are you now?. Im going to be 8 weeks post op next Tuesday, cant believe it was that long ago that i had the op. Just to let you no it does get easier!!!!  Ive found ive just had to be quite aggressive with the rehab, and have done a lot of massage to try and help with the ROM. I notice a massive improvement once ive given it a good massage!!!

Sounds like your doing all the right things though, and im sure youll start noticing big improvements soon. I went to see my surgeon this week, and he was pleased with me so i now dont have to go and see him for another six months, and hopefully ill be absolutely fine by then. He also said i can try running in two weeks, so am excited about that....

Keep up with the rehab, and stay positive. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch.

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 01:59:42 AM »
Daffy,

I glad to hear that you are progressing well and that you are well on your way to putting this behind you.  I agree with you that massage really helps and I can also see big differences in my knees ability after I massage it.  Keep working hard on your rehab and I'm sure that you will be running in no time.  That for me is still very far off but I did start swimming again and it has helped to relieve some of the stiffness in my knee.

Melissa,

Good luck on reaching your goal and I hope that you can get to 90 by the 12 like you OS wants.  You do need to keep setting goals to push yourself in your rehab.  I have tried and have had to become more realistic with the pace of my rehab and adjust my goals accordingly.  I feel that I am doing alright as long as I keep seeing the slow steady progress.  I had a TTT with VMO advancement on my right knee in 2002.  While my knee was never great it was functional for almost 3 years.  I was never able to go back to sports but I could walk around without too much pain and I could do most of what I wanted without having to wear a brace which was a victory for me.  I then fell and badly dislocated my knee again and it sent it spriraling back to where it was worse than before any of my surgeries because not only was my knee constantly subluxed but it would also fully dislocate when just walking.  That is what prompted me to go back and have this surgery done.  This is the 4th surgery that I have had on my right knee combined with all of the trauma that this knee has gone through is why I believe my knee is taking so long to recover despite me working very hard on my rehab. 

Good luck to both of you on reaching your goals.
Amy
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
Hello,

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op now, will be 4 in a few days. I gained 65 rom at therapy on Friday, not as much as I would like, but I am glad you have all commented on being realistic about your therapy goals. I pushed myself over the long weekend and really feel like I got somewhere, hopefully my PT says the same thing on Wednesday! I do sometimes feel like I do so well over the weekend and then, come Monday, I forget everything and go back to where I was at work. I am SO incredibly apprehensive, and just can't get over the fear of re-injuring myself. I get excited and get ahead of myself, then I stumble and catch myself. I took my first real step lastnight with my brace, but my boyfriend (after much convincing) is going to stay home tonight and help me work on actually walking, bending my knee as I come through. I think once my thigh muscles wake up again and remember how to work (I am SO SO close to a straight leg raise) it will become much easier-- I hope. Hopefully within the next week or 2 I will be able to drive again, it is making me crazy!!!

Thanks for the updates. You both sound like you are on the right track and encourage me to get there too!
Daffy, you will have to keep us posted on how running is coming along. You will get there sooner than you think it sounds!!
Amy, thanks for the encouragment!! Hopefully this time it is the charm for you, I don't envy! Keep us posted.

Talk to you soon!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
Ok....just want to say that I am VERY "owwchie" today. I really pushed myself lastnight and had my leg bent SO far and today I regret it. I can't even sit at my desk without squirming...AND I have PT today! Argh!

Just needed to complain!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 01:29:59 AM »
Melissa,

I understand your feeling and this is the place to vent.  I have had a lot of pain in the past 2 days because I really pushed my self hard st PT on tuesday (and my PT used it as an opportunity to torture me).  But it paid off I finally got over the hump where my ROM was stuck at around 90 for a week and I got it to around 100 and got my leg around on the exercise bike.  I paid for it that night but luckily it didn;t get too stiff afterwards which I have been fighting.  It was just a little sore last night.  Luckily I don't go back to PT until Friday so I can let it rest and spread out the exercises over a long time so I don't stress it out.  Good luck with your goals but don't over do it too much so that it is hard to continue the next day.

Amy
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline Melissa1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 02:24:56 PM »
Thanks Amy, glad to know someone else knows how I feel (not that I am happy that you are sore, don't mistake). Good job pushing to your 100 degrees....just keep pushing yourself, you will be there before you know it!
I finally did a straight leg raise yesterday and a hamstring pull (got it to 50 degreed without any help, and 70 degrees with the strap!). I am finally starting to feel comfortable walking without the brace, just the crutches, and starting to move a bit quicker.
I went home after and did some more and took a Percocet with dinner to stop the aching (something I haven't taken since like week 2) and boy did I get sick. Unfortunatley, I am not feeling much better this morning and my back is out of whack again making it hard to do anything--- can I have one thing at a time, please?!?! haha  :-[
I am living on Excedring and Pepto Bismol right now at work so I can just make it through the day!!
I am going to start the fight with my insurance here soon I have a feeling, I only have 6 visits left for PT and am nowhere near ready to be done, so my OS has to call and request more, hopefully it goes through.  Good luck to you too Amy. Sometimes insurance (no matter how good) is a pain!
Good luck at PT tomorrow!
6/96-4/98 4 dislocations
11/98 Debris removal
5/06 Dislocation

Offline daffy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »
Hello to both of you!!

Looks like were all starting to see results now, and wont be long im sure before were all back to normal, fingers crossed!!

I made a break through today, not sure if its too early or not but its just felt ready. I jogged on the tredmill!!!!!, i couldnt believe it it felt fine. Leg is still a bit weak but i didnt have any pain in my actual knee so was chuffed......

My knee still feels quite tight, its hard to explain, not sure if either of you two experience this?. I mentioned it to my surgeon, and he said this was one of his concerns, as a few people have gone back to him asking for the surgery to be undun as it feels to tight. Im hoping i wont have to do this.

Knee also feels a bit sore still where he harvested the graft from my gracillis, this seems to be the worst of the pain i get now, hopefully friction work will help this. Amy, melissa how is your graft site, does it still cause you discomfort or is it just me???

Hope your both well anyway, just thought id tell you the latest.

Daffy x x

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 11:44:26 PM »
Daffy congrats on being able to run on the treadmill.  I conqured stairs the other day.  Going down used to be very painful so I always went down with only my good leg doing the work, one step at a time.  I haven't even attempted to go down stairs normally since my surgery because I am so used to going slowly, but there was a small fire at work and we had to evacuate and so I wanted to get out of the building as quickly as I could and so I just did stairs normally without thinking about it.  I still have some problems and protect it too much but the adrenaline that day made me forget about my knee. 

I do know what you are saying about the tightness.  I have gotten about 100 degrees ROM easily now, but when I am up and walking my knee is very stiff when trying to use it in normal activities.  Don't know if that is the same as you are talking about but that is what I have been struggling with.  I am hoping that it slowly will loosen up so that it will feel more normal with time. 

I don't have pain at the graft site except when I am doing exercises to strenghten my hamstring, if my foot is in a certain position I can feel where the two ends must have been because it is 2 pinpoints that are painful.  Now, most of my pain is in the femur where the graft is secured as well as when working on my ROM I have to push through the stretch where the graft is which is the hardest thing for me. 

Amy
Dec 00 - L knee TTT

Offline icouldgoforanap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 08:01:45 PM »
Hi! I had an MPFL repair the first week of July after I dislocated/broke my knee cap. Rehab is going slow and steady - still on crutches and in a DonJoy brace. I have almost full ROM, but my quads haven't really come back. Been doing estim everyday at home or at the PT, and have had pain over the MPFL repair or fracture site when I do strengthening exercises. Anyway, good luck to all of you!

Alicia
6/30/06 - Patella frx/dislocation
7/11/06 - Lateral release, removal of bone fragments and damaged cartilage, MPFL repair
Present - Trochlear dysplasia; chronic patella subluxation

support