Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Melea's LR/TTT Diary  (Read 12932 times)

Offline Hunypot

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Melea's LR/TTT Diary
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 09:58:58 PM »
That is really too bad that your doctors are not agreeing and trying to make things easier on you. It is silly because if they stopped to think about it you would probably LIKE to be back to work. Having a broken leg is not a jolly old time off of work. Sometimes I think many people around us forget that this is NOT fun...its not just an excuse to lie around and be lazy.
  After taking my daughter to school today, and sitting in the car talking to one of the moms I was SOO exhausted. My leg hurt from being down too long. Also, I used up the last of my pain meds yesterday, so I am kinda scared to do anything that might get me in too much pain. I feel guilty asking the Dr for more though since I have already had a lot and its 3 1/2 weeks out now.
  Did you guys notice any other wierd side effects after your surgeries? My hair is falling out in chunks and I seem to be breaking out in tiny pimples all over my body which is very unusual for me. I have scrubbed and exfoliated like crazy and and still it lingers. Also....boys look away....I am going to ask a female question. Have any of you gals experienced cycle changes since the surgery? My cycle seems to be all screwed up now and I have always been reliable. Hormones or stress?
  Clearly my body is still unhappy with me...it would be nice to get back to "normal" (HAHA) soon.

-Melea
26 y/o female, wife, momma, and veterinary school applicant.
09/01 - L knee dislocation, mpfl tears
11/03 - L knee dislocation, mpfl tears
2000-present - osteoarthritis, patellar tendonitis, and p. fem. syndrome, etc..
10/19/06 - L knee TTT/LR completed!!

Offline Hunypot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2006, 07:31:01 PM »
Hi there geeks!
Here is an update 5 weeks post op. My TTT leg is still a little swollen, it does get more so if I am up on my crutches too long. Yes, sadly,  I am STILL on crutches!! I have an OS appt. on Friday to find out how I am doing. Hopefully I will be able to ditch the dumb things soon. My pain level is not bad during the day, however I am taking Tramadol regularly so I'm sure that helps. The worst part is when it gets cold outside my leg aches and aches! Also in the morning when I wake up it is really sore.
  How is everyone else getting along? Would love to hear from Lynn, Don, PJ, and Brianne....hope you all are healing really fast!

Cheers,
              Melea

Offline Hunypot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »
Oh OOPPS...............

HOPE EVERYONE HAD A HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!

brianne

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2006, 08:37:16 PM »
Melea,

Happy Turkey Day to you.

I have had some problems with my bone not healing very fast.  I will be on crutches for at least until December 6th, but probably longer.  I am so ready to ditch them.  I have had a lot of pain for the paswt week and a half.  My left leg is killing me all the time as well.  Even with the setbacks my ROM is doing really well.  I'll let you know how it goes after my appointment on the sixth.  I'll know a lot more then.  We're also going to discuss my left leg.

Good to hear that things are going well for you for the most part.  Let us know how your next OS appointment goes next Friday.

Offline pjbaker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2006, 10:59:21 PM »
Hey Melea,
I am doing really well since the surgery. I am not having alot of pain, only when I try to do too much which is to be expected. I did have a scare last night when I tripped on a cord and caught myself with my leg. Had some pain and swelling, but I am feeling better today. I had my brace on which is good. I am now able to start trying to get my full ROM back which I am excited about, but still in the brace all the time. I go to the doctor on the December 6 for more x-rays to see how the bone is healing. I hope you are able to get off the crutches when you visit the doctor. I know I was so happy to be off of them.

PJ
Chronic Dislocations since 14.
August 2004 - Right LR
November 2004 - Left LR
October 27, 2005 - Left VMO Advancement
October 20, 2006 - Left Fulkerson TTT SUCCESS!!!!
May 11, 2007 - Right Fulkerson TTT

Offline ljohnston30

• Regular Poster
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2006, 11:32:28 PM »
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, mine was fanatastic and I am looking forward to Christmas.  It sounds like we are coming along slowy but surely, I see my OS on Tues for my 6 week checkup and to get cleared for PT.  I have a PT appt scheduled for 30 Nov at 0815 so I needed to see the OS first.  I am sooooo nervous about the PT appt, I was hoping to go to a civilian PT but the military PT called me and scheduled me to see them on the 30th and will treat me if they can, hopefully they won't.  The only thing I have in my favor is that I had the Fulkersons procedure years ago and with knee problems it is a constant struggle to keep the legs in shape so I should be able to rehab myself if they can't help me. 

My ankle and foot are my biggest concerns right now, for some reason my foot feels numb with times of horrible aching and my ankle is stiff as heck from the bruising settling in it making walking difficult to say the least.  My blood rushes to my foot and turns it purple when I stand up so I am thankful I rented a wheelchair especially after the OS told me to keep my leg elevated and to stay off of it.   I am still dealing with some bruising but it is tremedously better, I  didn't know bruising would be such a problem.  I have had two stitches try to make their way out of my incision which was really kinda of gross, did anyone else have that?  I pulled them a little and cut them to the skin and they seem to have retreated back inside thankgoodness.  Other than that I am sick of sitting around waiting for my leg to heal and am counting the days until PT.  Of course next week, I will be crying to you about how bad PT felt.  For those that had the VMO Advancement was PT really difficult after having the leg immobilized for 6 weeks?  Can't wait to see how everyones OS appts go next week and the week after,  I hope the best for all of us.  How is PT going for everyone?
cheers
Lynn
39 y/o
9/04 Scope/Modified Fulkersons/LR
chondromalacia grade III&IV/Osgood Schlatters Disease/Arthritis (right)
03/03 Scope/removed screws & scar tissue/LR (right)
09/04 Scope/LR (left)
10/06 TTT/VMO advancement/LR (left)
12/06 Diagnosed w/RSD

Offline trvldiva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »
Hi, I had a Lr and TTT done Sept 20th, so I am almost 10wks post op.   I am still in alot of pain.. I haven't had my rom on my leg for about 3wks now.. is anyone as far out post op as me?  do u still take medications?   I am nothing right now, and taking ibuprofen and aleve don't do a thing for the pain... my operated knee swells up and i can barely lift my leg to even walk by the end of the night.   I am worried cause i go back to work supposedly by decemer 4th.   I have a 5 yr old , and work as a travel agent and am up and down constantly from my desk.   I worry since my operated knee is still soo painful, plus now my other knee is hurting as bad .

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peg//

Offline ljohnston30

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2006, 03:13:36 AM »
Good news/bad news, I went to OS today for 6 week check up and OS said my knee looks great, ditch brace and start PT on Thursday.  When that 30 seconds was over the focus was shifted to my ankle and foot.  My whole leg is still incredibly red/swollen especially when I stand up which I had to for the xray and my foot has numbness, tingling, burning and hurts bad and my ankle is still, red/swollen, and hurts really bad, I have to take percocet between 1am and 3am in an effort to get to sleep.  The OS suspects I have RSD or CRPS   >:(   some sort of nerve disorder.  He is sending me to a rheumatologist to diagnose and treat me...crap.  I am so sad, mad, frustrated and scared, I went in for knee surgery and now I can't walk and am in increasing pain.  I keep trying to go down to one crutch but my ankle/foot won't hold up.  I can't believe this, hope all is well with everyone else.   
cheers
Lynn
39 y/o
09/04 Scope/LR (left)
12/06 Diagnosed w/RSD

brianne

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2006, 03:27:54 AM »
Lynn, I was diagnosed with RSD when I was 16.  It was really frustrating because I had an ankle injury that just seemed to never heal.  My foot would become swollen and turn blue and I was in constant pain.  I was treated for RSD and had great success with the treatments.  I have been pain free from it for 8 years, although I was told that it can become a problem again at any time. 

Hopefully you will be able to be treated and find relief.  Nerve disorders can be frustrating, but hopefully they have caught anything early which my OS that treated my ankle injury and RSD said was key to my recovery.

Take care of yourself and please keep me posted.

Offline pjbaker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2006, 03:54:48 AM »
Lynn, I was also diagnosed with RSD when I was 14 and have just now really found success in treating my RSD. I hope you can find a treatment that works for you. I will be praying that everything gets better soon.

PJ
Chronic Dislocations since 14.
August 2004 - Right LR
November 2004 - Left LR
October 27, 2005 - Left VMO Advancement
October 20, 2006 - Left Fulkerson TTT SUCCESS!!!!
May 11, 2007 - Right Fulkerson TTT

Offline ljohnston30

• Regular Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2006, 06:33:01 PM »
I went to the Pain Management clinic a couple weeks ago and was put on a cocktail of medication for RSD and I am scheduled for a femoral sympathetic nerve block on Thursday.  Doc said the procedure will take about 30 minutes and then we will see while I am in recovery if the nerve block was successful.  I've never even had an epidural or any procedure done on my back so that scares me to death.  This RSD is a horrible thing to have to live with so this nerve block better work.  The medication is helping but I am waiting for the insurance company to approve the Lyrica.  Hope you all have a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year.  I am hoping that the New Year brings better health.
Lynn
39 y/o
09/04 Scope/LR (left)
12/06 Diagnosed w/RSD

Offline Hunypot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »
Hi there everyone!
Nice to see that several of you are keeping up on your condition going. I am doing good. I finally ditched my crutches last week...I am probably not suppost to until about the 1st but I was sooo tired of being on crutches! My knee feels stable, although the joint and the break really ache when I walk. I hope that it gets less painful over time. Also when I wake up in the morning it feels like poop, to put it nicely!  :P
As far as the femoral block goes...if it is the same thing, I had one on the day of my surgery. They will heavily sedate you, and it goes pretty smoothly, although my block did not work (wahh!). Good luck with the procedure!
Hope everyone else is recovering really quickly...Happy Holidays!

Melea