Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Shaky on my decision  (Read 945 times)

Offline Amanda82032

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Have you hugged your Orthopedic Surgeon today?
Shaky on my decision
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:02:11 AM »
Hello all. (Full story is in the Post - Op diary entitled-- stop the subluxing [the darn TTT didnt work]

I just thought I'd post here because I've been feeling very shaky about the decision to have surgery soon. I am 16 years old & am approaching my Junior year in high school. I'm going to be having knee surgery next week & was told that I'll be on crutches (at least one) until October!!

Every summer my grade school has a carnival & all of my old friends & new friends go there. Last year I was on crutches & ridiculed for having yet ANOTHER surgery (7). No one understands, besides a few close friends, that I really do need these surgeries. Do they think I'm making up the subluxations?! I really don't want to have to be on crutches & in a brace for the carnival again this year. (I also recently lost 55 lbs. & wish to flaunt my new figure! Too bad no one will notice because I'll be on crutches & in an immobolizer!!)

I also am reluctant to again start another school year on crutches. Most people at school have the same reactions to my surgeries. I also want to start up my dance lessons full time this year, but I'll be on crutches yet again.

Did I make the right decision? I just need some advice from all you experienced Knee Geeeks. Thanks for listening to the long rant. ::)

Amanda
18yo
Jan. 04=LR=R
Mar. 04=VMO Adv=R
Jul. 04=VMO Adv=L
Jan. 05=Chondroplasty=R
Jul. 05=TTT=R
Nov. 05=TTT=L
Jan. 06=Goodbye staple=R
Jul. 06=Patella ligament recon&shortened patellar tendon=R
Dec. 06=Goodbye staple=L
May 07=diagnosed w/EDS
Jul. 07=MPFL recon=R&L

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Shaky on my decision
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
Amanda,

Hi there.....

You will find out going through life that many people 'just don't understand'.  Hey, that's just the way people are.  You've had a rough go of it and are nervous of another procedure being done.  Don't be thinking too far ahead, take it a day at a time and things won't overwhelm you so much.

Think of the end game - a more pain-free knee that functions better.  Hey, we're all rooting for you. 

Hang in there Amanda.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

support