Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee surgery and calf and achilles pain  (Read 2017 times)

Offline breslane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee surgery and calf and achilles pain
« on: April 24, 2003, 08:37:53 PM »
I had surgery in November for meniscus repair.  It was not new to me because I had surgery on my other knee three years ago and everything went well.  Recover was 6 to 7 months.  With this new surgery, my Doctor said "he promises that the knee would feel better".  That was the end of January.  I feeling worse and before I go back to him, I'd like to know if anyone has had my problems.

With my last surgery I've had a hard time with recovery.  I've been walking with a limp - I've had back pain and saw a chiropactor which helped a little with my back.  As of last week I started with pain in the back of my leg near my calf muscle and near the achilles along with pain in my knee on the left side.  When I get up from a sitting position, the pain radiates (like a nerve zing) from my knee and my achilles calf muscle begins to hurt.  It's worse now to walk than it was last month.  I did have this problem before, but it was directly in my calf muscle which would come and go.  This has been constantly with me for a week now and the only relief is when I'm not walking.  I've tried ice compresses, but it doesn't help.

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
Re: knee surgery and calf and achilles pain
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 10:53:02 PM »
Welcome
Sorry you are having a tough recovery.  I had an op for my meniscus last summer and I have had trouble ever since.  In my case, Osteo-arthritis appears to be the culprit.  We knew I had arthritis before the op but the surgery seems to have aggravated it no end.  A major problem with bum knees is that your gait is affected.  Use of crutches or cane, or limping etc. can throw your back out of whack very easily, also can affect other muscles and joints in the leg.  You really should have it looked into.  Good luck.
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 11:57:01 PM »
Hi & welcome to the group

I'm so sorry to hear your recovery has been tough for you but I hope that you'll soon be feeling better.

Rich is absolutely spot on when he says the use of canes, crutches etc can throw your entire body out of alignment which is turn causes other pain in the body, the chiropractor seems like a good idea, are you going to keep going?.

It could be that you may have strained a muscle or joint in your back or youe neck and that may have an effect but seriously if the pain is disrupting your daily living activities you need to see a Dr to get this sorted.

Iona

Offline mabdegonian

• Forum Faithful
  • Luck cant last a lifetime, unless you die young.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 06:13:22 PM »
How long have you been full weight bearing on the leg?

The calf pain is very familiar to me but in my case I was non-weight bearing for a long time with a tib plat fracture.  All the leg lifts in the world will not build up calf/achilles strength and immediately after the first day of walking I was really sore there.  The pain came from the effort/strain of pushing off with the foot as you go through a normal step.  It took about 2 weeks to really fade and I still get it if I over do.  Slowly trying to do toe lifts/heal raises to help rebuild the strength and endurance there.

The chiropractor has helped alot with siatic (spelling?)  issues that were aggravating alot of my leg pain.

Hang in there and if it continues make sure you get someone to look at it.

Dan
4/02 Arthoscopy, 8/02 Tibial Plateau Fracture. (Doh!) 12/02 Back walking! 1/03 Fall reinjury 3/24 walking again with a new brace.

Offline breslane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 06:35:20 PM »
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I realized that if I wear a shoe with a higher heel and not a flat shoe, my achilles tendon feels much better.

I'm going to start therapy again and try to strengthen my leg muscles.  This is a great part of my problem.  The doctor thinks I have arthritis in my knee and gave me a perscription for Celebrex.  I really don't think I want to start with drugs just yet.  I'll try therapy and see where I go from there.

Thanks again, you've all been so helpful.

Judy

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 10:40:14 PM »
Hi Judy
What you are saying is very common. After any surgery we have to use our muscles in a different way, we put a lot of pressure on other muscles to help us get around. Even before we've hurt ourselves, say, if we do some sport that we havent done for a while, then we wake up full of aches and pains. I would think thats what your pain is. When my knee is playing up I get sore in the calf and achilles even after 18 months since my last surgery. The shoes with a small heel stops my achilles from aching too. Get some rubbing cream and gently massage it into your calf and heel, it might help to loosen it up a bit. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable