Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Looking for advice/feedback 14 year old, 2 dislocations; PLEASE HELP  (Read 3938 times)

Offline tablpa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Looking for advice/feedback 14 year old, 2 dislocations; PLEASE HELP
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

As far as your question, she has had two patellar dislocations.  Both went back into place on their own immediately after they happened (while she was still on the basketball court).

The second OS, looking at the MRI and physical exam, stated her knees are fine anatomically.  She has the right amount of groove and the bones look fine.  He thinks it is an issue of muscle, tendon and ligaments not growing and strengthening at the same rate during significant growth spurts she has had.  The problem, as most of you with knee issues from a young age know, is to get these structures strengthened and equal in strength and length without causing damage while in the process of growing and strengthening.

Hopefully the bracing and exercises will do the trick, we are cautiously optomistic.

I just felt from talking to people and reading on the internet that a TTT surgery for a 14 year old whose growth plates are not closed, was a little bit drastic after two dislocations.  Putting her totally out of ANY physical activity until full growth and then for surgical rehab (a total of up to 18 months) was like cutting off her leg to her.  She is well aware that the issue is not over and she needs to work hard to possibly avoid surgery at least for the time being.

Your choice of changing to swimming seems like a very prudent decision and I'm thrilled worked well for you.  We are from a small town and school and don't have that type of option.  She is playing volleyball right now (freshman playing JV and varsity), wearing her brace, faithfully doing her exercises and we are all keeping our fingers crossed.

Again thanks for sharing your experiences and caring.  Hope your rehab continues well!

Offline kneeharris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Looking for advice/feedback 14 year old, 2 dislocations; PLEASE HELP
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 08:46:11 PM »
Fantastic news - your daughter sounds like one of the lucky ones (insofar as having knee problems is lucky!)...and she seems to have doctors and etc who know what they're doing. Good and qualified physical therapists should be able to help her out quite a lot.

Also, apparently we women tend to grow out of these problems somewhat as we age because the loose ligaments tighten themselves...unfortunately, from 14 to 40 is quite a long wait!!  :)

I hope your daughter's prognosis continues to be good and even to get better. And I hope she continues to be a star athlete. Good luck with everything!