Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help - need advice re constant ache  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Scooby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help - need advice re constant ache
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
I have been seeing a consultant as I have a bow leg which has led to excess wear on my medial condyle. He has advised wearing an unloader brace for activities and walking any distance etc to take the pressure off the joint.  Once the condyle is through to the bone he will do an osteotomy and microfracture. 

I have had a constant ache just above my kneecap since before Christmas and mentioned this to him on my last visit 5 weeks ago.  He looked at my MRIs again and said I had a tilted patella and possible chondromalacia and that this was probably causing the ache, nothing to do with the other problems, and referred me for physio to try to loosen the tendons holding the kneecap.  The physio heard my symptoms and decided it was a plica.  I have had ultrasound and deep massage above my knee which did seem to help.  I have started to play hockey again (wearing the brace) and it is ok when I play but aches like mad the next day.

My physio has stopped for now, but I am still doing exercises and still getting the ache. Not sure what to do now.  I'm not convinced it is a plica as there is no snapping or sharp pain etc, just the constant ache that is there 24/7 to varying degrees.  Also, can't keep my leg bent for any length of time as the ache get much worse, which I understand is a sympton of a plica.  Also think I do have a plica in my other knee as I get the snapping and very sharp pain occasionally.

Sorry to go on, but not sure what to do next.  If I go back to physio and it doesn't improve, they are going to refer me back to the consultant who said he might to a lateral release, which doesn't sound very nice.

It seems that every time I go back to the consultant he finds something else wrong with my knees - guess its only downhill from now on!

Any advise would be gratefully received!
20/12/04   Left knee microfracture
8/6/10      Right knee microfracture, plica removal and high tibial osteotomy with external fixator

Offline yodz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help - need advice re constant ache
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »
Scooby,

You and I appear to be going through the same thing in regard to the ache, but mine pretty much rings the entire patella.  However, same symptoms otherwise, same aggravating factors.  Often it is so bad that, if I can walk at all, I do "the old man with his pants pulled way too high" shuffle (I'm 35, so not that old).  This has been going on for about the last 3-4 years.  I went to numerous Dr.'s (each finding new things potentially wrong every visit), did extensive PT and generally tried everything I could to alleviate the pain.  Nothing really showed up on the MRI's, etc. and nothing that has been tried worked.  As a result, I am having my left knee scoped next month (it's in both, but I was advised not to do them at the same time).  The intent going in will be to treat the Chondromalacia with the understanding that it is likely the OS will end up doing a lateral release while in there.  I am nervious, but eventually you just reach a point where the potential reward outweighs the risk.

At this point I can't really tell you much beyond the fact that, at least in my case, the ache will not go away and in fact has continually gotten worse.  If you'd like, email me directly and I'll give you a blow-by-blow description from Pre-Op through recovery as I go through it.  Sorry I can't give you more worthwhile advice at this point.  [email protected]

support