Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OBI synthetic plugs  (Read 5500 times)

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OBI synthetic plugs
« on: July 07, 2006, 03:04:59 PM »
Well my saga for pain free living still continues...after about 1 year from my last surgery I can't take being like this anymore and met with my OS yesterday.  After a fairly long and thorough discussion with him it looks like our next step is to try these OBI plugs on the anterior side of my patella in hopes to provide a more stable surface than what is there now...Just curious if anyone out here had any experience with this or has them...Thanks for any info--DJK
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 03:27:35 AM by DJK »
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: OBI synthetic plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »
DJK,

Hi there.  I'm three months out from having an OBI behind patella. 

IM anytime and I'll gladly try to help.  So far I've had really good results and I'm very pleased with progress. 

Good luck, will be looking forward to reading about your progress.  ~Shade

PS:  Another poster, (Meg) 'emphatic' recently had an OBI plug in the trochlea notch, I believe plus a PKR in lateral compartment. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:37:40 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 05:42:49 PM »
Yup, I'm happy with mine so far... no problems and I'm doing well. My OBI plug placement was the minor part of my surgery, though, and my surgeon is featured on the OBI website case reports, so he's an acknowledged expert with them. So, all in all, I think that the OBI plug for my case was a no-brainer.

What are your concerns? Do you know what the size of the lesion is?

Meg

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 03:31:43 AM »
I guess my main concern is how you feel it has helped...I am trying to avoid a PFJR as much as possible and this sounds like it may help me do that...just looking for real world results.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 04:32:11 AM »
DJK,

Realistically, it's going to take more time to tell if this has been successful or not, I'm not there yet.  
Awaking from surgery I knew this was different though - the bone-aching pain was gone & it hasn't returned.  It's a long rehab but very worthwhile when you take that first step and realize it doesn't hurt like before.  It really is awesome.
Before having a PKR I'd definately try the OBI - it could get you back to a more active lifestyle again.  The PKR option should still be available later on, if necessary. 

I ran across this article, don't know if you've seen it or not......   

http://www.nbc4.tv/health/8323533/detail.html

Offline Athlete Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 05:18:42 AM »
My 13 year old son had the plugs 2 weeks ago.   I haven't been able to find much information about them.  The OS told me that he wouldn't be able to run for 6 months. 

How long ago did you have the surgery?  My son is a top level athlete -- do you know what his chances for a 100% recovery are?

Any input would be appreciated -- I'm very nervous for my kid.  Thanks.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 08:35:23 AM »
My son is a top level athlete -- do you know what his chances for a 100% recovery are?

That's really a question to address with his surgeon. At 13, he certainly is in a very different place than an adult, though. His surgeon should have carefully gone over the requirements for the procedure with you, along with his expectations for your son -- what sports would be possible, and when. If you haven't had the conversation yet, I hope you'll be able to find a chance to have it as soon as possible.

Meg

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »
AthleteMom,

I'm in agreement with Meg about your surgeon answering your son's rehab requirements.  I'm sure he'll answer your questions at your next post-op visit.  There are no long-term studies on this procedure.  This procedure is much like an OATS procedure - very strict prococol to follow.
It's a long rehab and no one knows the chances for 100% recovery - too many variables involved.
Good luck and hope your son feels better soon.  ~Shade

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »
Shade, that is very encouraging info.  I am very optimistic about the procedure as is my OS(Dr. F).  It must be a great feeling not having that bone-aching pain anymore...most of us can only dream about that.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

Offline Athlete Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.  My son's injury just happened (3 weeks ago) -- we went to the OS and he immediately booked him for surgery (this guy has a great reputation, so I didn't question the arthroscopy).  When he told us about the procedure he just said "if the cartilage is in a NWB area, I'll just remove it and if it's in a WB area we'll have to insert a cartilage plug".  I should have asked more questions at the time, but it seemed so routine when he told us about it.  The very next day we went in for surgery and he came out and told us he inserted the plugs.  We had his post-op vist last week and he said the chances for 100% recovery are between 85-95%, could be much higher cuz of his age.  Did your docs tell you the same thing?  Said no football, but didn't see much of a problem with baseball (his first sport).

Since then (2 weeks ago), I've been trying to educate myself.  Your input is appreciated.  So far he's on the toe-touch only.  At 6 weeks, he'll be on full weight bearing with PT for several months.  He said at 6 months he should be ready to play baseball (we hope).

Keep us posted with your progress.  I had no idea this was such a "new" procedure with no long-term history.  Good luck!!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 05:21:16 PM »
AM & DJK,

Think you'll start seeing more and more surgeons using this procedure as they don't have to remove good cartilage from the NWB parts of the knee & the deeper lesions will have an unlimited supply of material which isn't possible with the standard OATS procedure. 

Attitude/Optimism is a great thing to have for these types of procedures with long rehab protocols - the end goal has to always be remembered, whether it's returning to baseball/biking/walking or whatever the goal happens to be.  A more pain-free lifestyle is definately where we all want to be.  AM you might have to be a cheerleader once in awhile if the rehab gets frustrating. 

A patient has to trust the judgement & experience of the surgeon, so having one with a great reputation helps.   AM - Don't feel bad about not asking many questions, you wanted your child treated after his injury.  It's a very normal reaction. 

Think the time-frame for more activities sounds about right if the protocols are adhered to and everything looks good at the time.  Hope he has a great recovery.   DJK hope your surgery is soon and you get on the road to recovery soon.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 05:23:43 PM by shade »

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 03:04:07 AM »
Shade, thanks for all the info and words of encouragement...I am also hoping for my surgery to be soon..although it is a WC injury and I have since retired from the job...so I don't think that they will be in a rush to approve it...but thats the reason I have an attorney to deal with the WC insurance carrier.  I will keep you all posted hopefully I can get this done and be on my way to pain free living or less pain living in the next few weeks.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 05:42:03 PM »
Its great to hear success stories with the OBI plugs.

I was an experimental test case with them in August of 2004 and didnt have luck with them. Although mine were in the weight bearing areas of the MFC and LFC and the sites were moderate in size.  I am going to have another round with them next year and hopefully I will have success with them this time around. I am trying to avoid a TKR.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 02:10:30 AM »
Just a quick update on my whole situation...I got the call today that my surgery has been approved by my WC isurance carrier...a slight push from my attorney helped them along...my surgery is scheduled for Aug. 10th. Notes from my last visit showed that the lesion is clearly a medial facet chondral lesion as documented previously...procedure will be open...with drilling to remove the subchondral bone and resurfacing with the use of OBI plugs...I am very optimistic that this is going to give me the relief I am looking for, as does my OS.  I'll keep you all posted and will start my post-op diary once I am able to crawl to the keyboard.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 03:41:30 AM »
Congratulations! I hope your surgery goes wonderfully and you have a great result!

Meg