Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dealing with knee injury and kids  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Gogfather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dealing with knee injury and kids
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:06:43 PM »
Hey,

Just wondering how many of you have experienced going through a major knee injury and have kids. I dislocated my kne amonth ago and haven't been able to walk without crutches since. It's been a challenging time and I can't help but feel guilty about not being able to play as much physically with my 3 year old son.

He's been extremely understanding though. Always offering to play games on the floor, passing me my crutches, always making sure I'm ok. I'm sure it's hard to understand what his Daddy's been going through. I think he's gotten used to it and I look forawrd to having a normal play life with my son soon! It definitely helps me get focussed on getting better.

2006 Knee dislocation L knee ( skateboarding )
 - torn ACL - reconstructed
 - injured MCL, PCL
 - complex lateral meniscus tear - repaired
 - tibial plateau fracture
1996 ACL rupture - reconstructed ( snowboarding )

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: Dealing with knee injury and kids
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »
I have two boys 10 and 7 and both me and my husband have had major knee surgeries over the past two years!!

My kids have been great!!!! They were so helpful when I was on crutches (a total of 15 months out of 24). They would carry the laundry and help with cooking it was awsome. I think even though they may have seen it as mom had a huge owie I think it has brought us closer together as a family. They always want to do things with mom (for now give the 10 year old a year and he will want to be with his friends LOL). The were also helpful with their dad and helping me with him.

Hope this helps you feel a bit better! A negative situation can be turned into a positive experience!!

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 09:55:08 PM »
My kids are almost 6 and almost 3 and it is really really hard. I am past the guilt and it made me realize just how much I spoiled my kids by getting them anything they wanted/needed at home in a nano second. They have become much more patient but still have a ways to go. I'm a stay at home mom so I can't escape my responsibility for very long and I think it is hardest because you don't have any time off and you can't get your mind off the fact that you're definitely not your fit self right now.

But, it has gotten better for me and I think there are many times my kids forget I had a major surgery since I can sort of keep up with them, but the hard fact is that the day is so much harder than it used to be and it was already hard! I can't really just kick back and relax when I know I need to sometimes.

Hang in there and I think it's great your doing the floor stuff.  I did and still do that myself and also spend more time reading with them. Kids love when you get down on the floor with them, especially toddlers so I think your son is having a great time while you are mending. All the best, you are not alone!
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:11:51 PM »
Hi,

My son will be 2 years old in August and he too loves to play on the floor. The biggest problem I have is that if I get down on the floor I can't get back up again. He'll laugh himself silly if he thinks "Mommy's stuck!". At a young age I don't think it makes any difference to kids how you play with them so long as you spend as much time as you can with them.

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:56:50 AM »

I was injured at work in Jan.06 and have had surgery in April so I am still on no work restriction. non weight bearing with crutches. I have two boys 5 and 10.
    BI, brfore injury,I was able to go play with the boys, catch, tickle football, rodeo etc. With the injury I was getting frustrated at not being at work or to do the normal things in the home ie;laundry, cooking etc. I would get so depressed at my limitations I would get on the phone and cry to my friends about what I couldn't do. One finally said, look at all you CAN do, you can read to them, play cards, board games, craft things, paper airplanes. You have this oportunity to have valuable face- time with them. It helped me get over the worthless feeling about having them help around the house and fetch and carry for me. The oldest makes me breakfast in bed, including coffee! he can cook basic food like mac-n-cheese, soup etc. The baby can unload the dishwasher, sort laundry. They are learning valuable skills during this time so enjoy all you can.
tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:55:42 PM »
That's so sweet.! You are really blessed. We all are. Just to have these little angels in our lives is a blessing.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 01:15:07 PM »
Well I have a different view on all of this. When I was young my Dad had ankle surgery and ended up with a Staph infection and was in the hospital and off work for months. However, other than being very aware that my Dad was very sick and injured... we have good memories, like you said, playing games on his bed and spending different time with him! Kids I don't think really worry about WHAT KIND Of time you spend with them, just that they get to spend time with you.

Goodluck
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »
Hi,

Something else I thought of - Kids just like to play and spend time with the people they love. How you occupy that time may well be dictated by a knee problem but at the end of the day we all feel guilty about what we can't do for our kids. Bear in mind that they don't think of it like that and they don't know or understand our guilt. They just want to play or help out when they're a little older.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 04:55:19 PM »
The other great "side effect" of having kids see and help with an injured parent is that they can be taught about compassion and differences in physical abilities (which can lead to understanding and feeling comfortable with disabled people they encounter). Kids who have been around a parent on crutches and who have experienced the different physical needs are more likely to be accepting and tolerant of people with disabilities... and will probably be more aware of how they can interact with them, rather than seeing them as strange and unapproachable.

Meg

support