Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 13054 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline Newbie26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 12:44:26 AM »
Hey I took the ASVAB, and spent a whole day for the MEPS procedure. And passed everything. One enlisted marine heading to boot camp, wish me luck, that my knees hold together, they haven't been bothersome lately hoping that I outgrew it finally at age 27.

Offline screwy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2003, 01:56:55 AM »
Hi Screwy here again.
I served in the Marines in 1970 when I was only 17. Except for occational things we had to do on our knees I was never bothered much buy my OS.
Now I am 50 and they hurt alot. Going down stairs is really tough.
My biggest concern now is how to manage the pain for another 20 years, if it's been getting worse these past 5 years.
You really can't find any sites that talk about adults with OS.
Like it only exsist in kids. It starts as kids but the knots on my knees that are at least the size of golf balls are real and they hurt!
Ice works best and staying off your feet but damn I need to work and do things. I refuse to become a couch potatoe.
What's a body to do???

Offline screwy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch

Offline screwy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2003, 12:54:50 PM »
As you can see from my last posting there is a scanner capture of my rt knee.

Offline cpl-punishment

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2003, 12:41:00 AM »
Newbie26,
I was diagnosed with OS in left knee in 7th or 8th grade (about 13yrs old).  My Dr. told me to stretch and warm-up well prior to high physical activity.  I played football from 7-12th grade and would tape an extra knee pad over the bump each practice and game.  

I served 6 yrs in the USMC and for the most part had little trouble, assuming I did proper warm-ups.  

During the physical before I enlisted, we had to do something like walk on our knees across the room.  I just endured the extreme pain and tried to put he pressure more on my kneecap rather than the front of my knee/top of my shin.

I'm 36 now and much less active than I was from 13-30.  Over the past 2-3 years, I've managed to do something to my knee about once a year that causes me to hobble around like i'm Sir. Hop-a-long for about 1-2 weeks.  

This last time (about 1 week ago) I have no idea what I did to cause the problem other than squating down to play with my nephew.  My tendons were/are very sore for the past week.  Keeping my leg still and straight only causes me to withstand a constand throbbing pain.  Trying to "walk it off" causes me extreme discomfort and I can only bend my leg about 10% of normal.  The tendons feel VERY tight and my knee is actually hot to the touch from inflamation.  

I've been using ice on it and taking Goodies Powders (a powder form of asprin with a few other things in it like caffine).  I find they work much better than Tylenol and don't put me to sleep like Extra Strength Tylenol.  

I was thinking (like many of you) that medicine may have some method of treatment for this problem.  It doesn't appear so, other than the one girl who mentioned the surgery, which sounds extreme and dangerous with the wrong doctor.  

My only advice to anyone young with it is:
1) Stretch, stretch, and when you are done stretching, stretch some more.  You need much more stretching than someone who does not have OS.  I used to always do what we called hurdler stretches where you sit on the ground with one leg bent to the side, the lean back to stretch the front of that leg.  
2) Warm up - Before you do anything like run, play ball, etc, do some warm-ups like walking fast, running in place, slow jog, then stretch some more.  

Offline carkencar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2003, 04:05:57 AM »
       I posted on here back in july about my 12 yr old son having Osgood Schlatters.

Well in  April when my son rode his scooter we thought that something triggered the Osgood Schlatters again, but we were wrong . We found out that he had a cyst on his knee ( the same one with osgood schlatters)The doctors didn't want to operate because he is so young. After alot of talking we convinced them that it should be removed. The first week in  October they removed the cyst it was the size of two golf balls. The Doctors could not beleive it . So far he has being doing really well. He played in a 3 game soccer tournament today and is feeling great.  

support