Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Newbie26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osgood Schlatters
« on: November 14, 2002, 02:25:32 AM »
Hi, was diagnosed way back when I was a teenager, as having Osgood Schlatters. My doctor said that this happens when the body grows too fast in puberty, and the bones in the knee, don't have time to grow together properly. So I have a big lump on the front part of both knees. painful to rest  on knees, while working or whatever, also if I walk, run or sit in a confined area for too long they ache and is difficult to support my weigh the next day.

My question for you guys, is there a procedure to get the bone (lump) to grow into the knee like it was supposed to with surgery, or somehow push it in?

I have long thought about enlisting in the armed services, but I know that I wouldn't last for very long in basic training, due to the rigourous physical activity, and knee strain.

Thankyou, for  reading
Newbie 26

Offline Michelle_Gr

• Regular Poster
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 04:01:23 AM »
Hi
I have Osgood-Schlatter's Disease and I don't know of anything to get rid of the bumps on the legs, but I do know that the things that you should not do if you still have Osgood-Schlatter's are stairs, jumping, climbing, excess hard running, jerking your knees, twisting, or sharp sudden turns, and don't squat or do any deep-knee bends.
      Good Luck
                                               Michelle
I have maltracking and malalignment problems, Osgood-Schlatter's disease and will be having bi-lateral releases this year, most likely over the summer but I'm hoping sooner.  I am 14.

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 05:58:05 PM »
Hi, Newbie!

I've been dying for a thread on adults who had Osgood-Schlatter's in their youth and the effects they've had since!

There is no way (short of very major surgery) to get rid of the lump, and there is really no need.  The only time that the lump itself affects you is when you're kneeling on it, and we OSD "survivors" have to get used to wearing kneepads or living without kneeling for the rest of our lives.  It won't cause any major harm... the worst it'll do is ache, and that goes away (for me) after a day or so, if I've aggravated it.

The pain when walking, running, or sitting too long is something different... from what I can read and guess, it seems to be a chondromalacia problem.  I have a theory that severe OSD (in my case, the bones were rubbing together) predisposes us to future chondromalacia and perhaps other knee problems.  What do you think?

I definitely understand where you're coming from... I'm 25 now, had OSD ages 10-13, and have had lingering problems ever since.  (Not sure if my current problem is related or not... I had a sudden onset of pain, popping, "giving way", and swelling 3 months ago and have an arthroscopy scheduled next week to see if it's meniscus, articular cartilage, plica or scar tissue, or what!)  We should start an Osgood-Schlatter's Support Group (OSSG, pronounced "ossig", for short!).

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline screwy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 01:05:12 PM »
I have had Osgood Schlatters since I was 10 or 11. I am now 50. I sweer the lumps are getting bigger and more painfull lately. I hope to get a doctor that understands that motrin only works sometimes and 6-7000mg a day is killin my stomach for sure. They (the VA ) Just refused to give me a coirtosone shot, what's up with that? They have worked on my scholder, back and elbow a couple of times years ago.
I have always hated my golf balls as I call then and never had any pain as bad as the time or two i've accidently knocked them loose.
What do you all do for the pain???
Limppy (screwy)http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/YaBBImages/cry.gif
P.S. How rare is this problem? Is it something the adult orthopetic doctors don't have enough practice on? :'( :'(

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 04:54:52 PM »
Welcome, screwy!

I hate to say it, but I doubt cortisone would help the lumps much.  They aren't an inflammation... it's a bone problem...  and cortisone doesn't help that.

I do wonder about how much doctors know about adults who have had OSD as children.  Any OS I've ever asked just asked about lasting impacts has just shook his head and said that OSD is a growth/childhood problem and doesn't occur in adults.  Silly doctors--I know that.  I want to know how the years of protruding tibial tuberosities (the "bump") and, in some cases, grinding bones and stretched tendons and ligaments affects us.  Are we more prone to arthritis?  Ligament tears?  Cartilage wear? CMP (chondromalacia patella)?  Ruptured patellar tendons?  Someone should study this.

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline screwy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 08:41:13 PM »
Hi All,
Great idea to start a support group. Looks like there is a few of us that have had the problem for many many years and some young people just starting to question the future they will have with it.
I am and have been doing a lot of reading on the internet looking for ansewers for related problems. What relief we can get. They all seem to be what to do as a youngster when th OSD is active. I believe there is an expert out there somewhere.
The weakness (loosing ballance) the pains all being called ostoarthitis and being treated with anti-inflamatories. There has to be a procedure to get relief. I am now fifty and active. Now I am walking with a cane and feel pain daily. I do have good days, weeks but think we are not being studied closly enough.
I do have an appointment with ortho doctors in the next month or so and report anything new if they do come up with something.
There have to be something for adults now suffering from a childhood problem, just look at all the attention now being givin to ADD. There is lots of money and reaserch being done on "Adult ADD" which had been ignored for generations.
Peace,
Screwy

Offline carkencar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 08:42:48 AM »
I have a 12 yr old son who has Osgood Schlatters. In Sept. it will be 2 yrs of suffering. THe doctors keep telling me that it will only last for two years.One year ago he wore a cast for 1 week it done wonders, until this past April when my son rode his scooter, Now we are back to square one again.   My family doctor tells me that OS does not damage the knee in side . Correct me if I'm wrong, if growing too fast causes the bone to pull away from your knee cap how can it not cause trouble when your older. I have knee trouble and I'm scared to death that my son will have the same problems, even though I hurt my playing sports,

Offline rlmontroy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 11:22:15 AM »
Hello all! :)
         I am 28 Yrs old and was in the military. I was discharged after tripping over a duffle bag and falling down a flight of stairs (left knee gave out). The doctor told me I had OS in both knees and am now convinced it is. My bumps are about the size of a golf ball. I have constant knee pain and burning around the bumps. I was givin nothing from the military in terms of comp, and am fighting it today (8 years later). They have told me it is not their fault, which I understand. However I do believe they owe me something because I passed the physical and was in basic when the discharged me.
I have seen doctors and none of them seem to know much about it. Just what it is and how it is caused. Something has to be done nobody seems to have a cure and all the doctors have told me it will go away ( yeah right). The first doctor told me it would go away by the time I turned 25 (haha) :D. 3 yrs later it seems to be getting worse and nobody can help me. Come on someone has to know more about this and there has to be something we can do. >:(

Well keep in touch. I know I will. And Thank you!

Offline Sarah_K

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 06:49:08 AM »
Hi all I have'nt peeked in on this thread before. But I am a 26 yr who had os in both knees, the right knee was operated on 4 yrs ago and the bump was removed boy did that suck. Its comforting to know I am not the only one whose bumps did'nt go away on there own. My os made me feel like a freak of nature...lol
Sarah

Offline screwy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ouch
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 10:02:33 AM »
sarah_k welcome,
Wow I have never heard of anyone having the bumps removed before. I am 50 and mine (both knees) hurt all the time now. Was it a sucess? Was it worth doing?
How did your recovery go?
You mentioned your OS acted like you where a freek of nature. I have gotton that reaction before from many young inturns at the VA hospitals but then some other doctor an OS says Oh yea thats Osgood Schlatters no big deal and here is some Motrin for the arthritis. I than just go off and suffer with the pain of crossing my leggs or going down stairs.
Can't wait to here about your experence. Thanks
Screwy

Offline Sarah_K

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 07:52:06 AM »
I try and make this brief. I had the official dx when I was in 4th grade...no treatment was offered. I played basketball and was into speed skating I always iced them after and took motrin before which for the most part controlled the swelling and pain. When I was a senior in high school 94 to be exact I had a skating meet on sunday and I twisted my knee funny then I had a basketball game the next day on monday and some braty girl thought she was gonna be funny and use my knee to lift off to try and make a slam dunk needless to say I was in a bit of pain. Iwent to the ER and was diagnosed with a meniscus tear ad sent to an OS I waited 6 months to get in with this dr because he was sopossed to be the best. Meanwhile I am no longer able to control the pain in my knee its getting worse by the day. I saw my sports med dr about 4 months past day of injury he put me in a knee brace for support about 4 weeks into this pain hasn't gotten any better so I am placed in a cast with my knee bent so I can't bear wait on my leg. Finally get into see ths Dr and hes appalled that the Osgood schlatters hasn't gone away in either knee. He removes the cast sends me for xrays and says lets set you up for a scope and lets remove the bump.  He explains it as a simple procedure hes gonna make an insicion slide my tendon over chissel off the bump...no big deal...right.

Well I came out of surgery I felt fine went home everything was going great till 3am when I woke up in the worst pain of my short lived life.  Make a phone call to doc he says to come in right away. Turns out my tendon was to stiff from scar tissue build up from the bump rubbing underneath it all those years so they tried splitting it down the middle first then just sliced it across the middle moved it out of the way to get to the bump. then spent 20 minutes trying to chisel the bone smooth the sewed my tendon back together.  

At the time I thought I wasn't worth it but after 3 yrs of rehab and just recovering I can say I never think about that knee anymore. I am actually ready to have the left one done just waiting till i get to a slow time with work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 07:54:16 AM by Sarah_K »

Offline Newbie26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2003, 02:05:02 AM »
My last message must not have gone through, I asked rlmantroy, if he thought a 27yr old guy could get through and pass the Marine corps Physical. that is, pass with OS. I have one hill on each knee do you think they will notice and know what it is? I take the ASFAB and physical this week.  Thanks

Offline tyler_diCristofaro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2003, 03:03:35 AM »
I am 13 years old and I have osgood schlatters. I dont know much about the disease and I would like to stay informed.  I was wondering if this could be operated on if so, how?  Iwas also wondering if this could be permanent and what the long term effects are.  And I would really appreciate it if I could get a list of effective treatment options.

Thank you, I look forward to your reply

Sincerely, Tyler Di Cristofaro

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2003, 05:53:24 AM »
Hi Tyler,

I am a certified athletic trainer and I formally worked at a high school in which Osgood-schlatters was fairly common.  It is chacterized by pain in the distal portion of the patellar tendon and tibial tuberosity.  It is caused by either rapid growth or increased strenth of the Quadreceps group which cause small avulsion fractures of the tibial tuburosity where the patellar tendon attaches.  The repeated stress causes enlargement of the TT.  

In terms of treatment, it is almost always managed conservatively (non-surgical).  Treatment is focused on treating any muscle issues and reducing inflammation.  The main goal is to reduce the stress placed on the TT.  Reducing the inflammation will help with the pain.  I typically like to see the athlete on some type of oral anti-inflammatory such as Bextra or Relafin.  Electrical stimulation can be used for pain control.  Ultrasound is sometimes incorporated pre-exercise to help "warm-up" the area.  If the OS does get severe, immobilization is sometimes necessary to allow everything to settle down.  After a couple weeks of complete rest, rehab is started to regain strength and slowly work towards a return to sports.  Ice is one of the best anti-inflammatory agents out there, so I use it quite a bit.  If necessary phono/iontophoresis can be used with hydrocortisone or dexamethasone as a local anti-inflammatory.  Sometimes, the athlete will need to wear a knee pad over the area during participation to protect the area if it is sensitive.

Surgery is almost never used, only in extreme cases.  The surgery consists of removing the avulsion from the TT.  

The pain is usually not permanent, if the TT enlarges that will be permanent as is any bony formation.  

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions please feel free to either respond here or IM me.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline rlmontroy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2003, 08:20:12 PM »
newbie26

If you want to go in the Marines then by all means go. However if your knees are as bad mine then you will not last long. They will give you an uncharacterized discharged. I passed the phiscial with no prolems what so ever. I did not notice my problem until I got to basic.

support