Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: numbness along top of shin after surgery  (Read 1135 times)

Offline pattypatch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
numbness along top of shin after surgery
« on: July 05, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »
I just had surgery on June 30th and am recovering nicely. However, I am experiencing burning, numbness, and pulling sensations along the top of my shin just an inch or two below the kneecap. Is this normal to experience and will it go away in time???? When I try to bend my knee is when it seems the worst.

Offline sinequanonsarah

• Regular Poster
Re: numbness along top of shin after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »
Hi Pattypatch -

what kind of surgery did you have?  I just had a TTT (tibia tubercle transfer) on June 27 and I still have quite a bit of numbness and tingling.  No burning, though.  Sometimes burning can be a sign of infection.  Is the area around your incision red and/or hot?  When they do any cutting, they are cutting through nerves - the numbness might go away - or might stay there forever.  I had another TTT 8 years ago on the other knee and still have a 3-inch diameter numb patch.  The tingling (if it's the same kind of timgling that I'm experiencing) is likely from the nerve endings growing back, and is completely normal.

I hope this helps!

Sarah
hypermobile joints
lateral release for patellar stabilization (L) 12/1995 and (R) 03/1996
Tibia Tubercle Transfer/Osteotomy (R) 08/1998 and (L) 06/2006
Synvisc injections (R & L) - 6 series since 2009
Steroid injections (R & L)

Offline pattypatch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:32:05 PM »
They said it was a medial meniscus tear, and also injury to a previous knee  injury from  a car accident years ago. They shaved the jagged cartilage and stitched a ligament torn from the accident injury also on the inside right knee. From what I have read, it sounds as if this is normal. Just wanted to get some input from others who had experienced it too so as not to be alarmed at this stage of the game. I have no infection that is showing. No reddness or anything like that. Just swelling and the weird sensations.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:23:46 AM »
Hi

I have numbness in my shin after every surgery and sometimes after running.  My OS tells me that when the knee gets inflamed it can press on nevers an cause the numbness.  If the numbness doesn't go away when the knee calms down call your OS.  (Just Remember all I am is an ex-athlete not a doc.)

B
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

support