Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: patella realignment - arrrgghhh!  (Read 910 times)

Offline kscarpetta

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • "Penfold Shush!"
patella realignment - arrrgghhh!
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new here and would like some advice on patella realignment. I have been told that the surgeon will fracture my lower leg and pull my left kneecap back into place - sounds most painfull!  :o

What I am really after is some info on what happens after that and whether the results are good.

If anyone can help I would be really grateful. This is my 8th op in 12 years (not on my knees - this would be the first) and I am getting a bit surgery shy!  :)

Thank you in advance.

K

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: patella realignment - arrrgghhh!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
Hi,

The procedure you're talking about is called a Tibial Tubercle Transfer or TTT, I've had two so can tell you about my experiences.  It is a big procedure and recovery varies between roughly 4-6 weeks right through to 6-12 months depending on how you react to surgery and how well you do with PT, in my case my recovery was about 4-5 months until I was pretty much back to normal.  It IS a painful procedure but if you manage to stay on top of your meds you should be okay.  Different surgeons have different protocols for recovery, some have you weight bearing from the start, others non-weight bearing until about 6 weeks.  There are a couple of different kinds of TTT (Faulkersons, Elmslie Trillat).  You can get loads of information on these procedures if you go down to the Patello Femoral section of the board.  If you need any other info I can try to answer your questions, and if I can't there are hundreds of fellow knee sufferers here who will be able to.

By the way, both my TTTs have been 100% successful, I no longer dislocate or sublux and my patellas have both stayed in line so for me it was the best thing I could have done.  Good luck.

Natalie.  ;D
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline sinequanonsarah

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 02:30:49 PM »
Hi K -

I just had a TTT done a little over a week ago (and had one done on my right knee 8 years ago).  My total expected time on crutches is 2 - 4 months.  During that time, 6 - 8 weeks of that is non-weight bearing (NWB).  I imagine that I'll be in physical therapy for quite a while.  The TTT that I had on my right knee worked WONDERFULLY.  That knee is now so much more stable than it ever was - I'm so glad that I had the surgery.  It is quite painful - it's a very invasive surgery - but I don't regret it one bit.  You should note that everyone's post-op instructions with this surgery can really vary a lot.  My OS had me bending within a couple of days - I have seen others here who have had to wait weeks before trying to bend.  I have a brace, but I've seen others who have left the hospital without one.  I'll be NWB for 6 - 8 weeks, but others are instructed to PWB as they are leaving the hospital and then to ditch the crutches pretty soon after.  Each OS has a different protocol, so you should probably talk to yours about all of these things to get a better idea of what will happen for you.  I think that the protocol varies according to many many different things, but everyone who follows their OS's post-op advice - whatever that might be - seems to be pretty happy with it.  when is your surgery scheduled for?  If you want even more information, you could type "distal realignment procedures" into the knee guru search.  This will describe the various TTT procedures and the differences between each one.

I hope this helps!

Sarah
hypermobile joints
lateral release for patellar stabilization (L) 12/1995 and (R) 03/1996
Tibia Tubercle Transfer/Osteotomy (R) 08/1998 and (L) 06/2006
Synvisc injections (R & L) - 6 series since 2009
Steroid injections (R & L)

Offline kscarpetta

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • "Penfold Shush!"
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »
thank you both so much! Everyone is so helpful here. I will stick around after my op and try and give back some of the great advice and tips I have been given. (Mind you I won't be able to do much else!!  ;D)

It's good to know that there are some success stories out there!

Kirsty