Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Back problem?  (Read 731 times)

Offline mistyhou

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Back problem?
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:44:23 PM »
Hello,
I have been having problems with tighness in my quads, hamstrings and calves.  I know that I have the beginning stages of osteoarthritis in one of my knees but that is not giving me the problem.  It is the fact that my quads,hamstrings and calves are so tight.  When I went to the doctor the other day, she told me that maybe the problem is that I hurt my back and not my legs.  Since she was not my regular doctor, she told me to call and schedule a visit with my regular doctor.  I have an upcoming appointment.   Does anyone know anything about this?  Thanks

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Back problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:10:31 PM »
Your entire lower body and back are considered to be one kinectic chain.  If something is off at one section, it is going to effect other sections.  Here is one back scenario that may or may not apply to you, but should illustrate my point. 

lets say you strain a muscle on your left side of your back.  As will occur with muscle injuries, the area will go into spasm and pain will be felt.  Due to the muscle spasms, your left hip will be pulled slightly forward.  With the change in hip position, this will place the hamstrings on stretch and will force the quads to work harder when you walk.  This can easily translate down in to the lower leg.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

support